IT.COM

Resolved

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
@Jackson Elsegood
Regarding transaction 4532982 for CBDcity.com for $11,500...

The buyer took possession via push at godaddy and immediately requested that escrow cancel the deal. I’ve provided loads of email verification to escrow to show my position. Meanwhile they are asking me to work with the buyer to get the domain back.

I’ll need to be paid or I will take legal action. My suggestion is that escrow do a little homework to verify the account push. I’ve done too much business with you guys for you to put this back on me. The buyer is a scam artist and I won’t play games!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Also, speaking to what happened here...IF the buyer were in fact dishonest (and clever), a seller who knew the escrow.com TOS and remained calm would have a leg up over a seller who got hysterical and stated categorically that he would not accept the return of the domain.

Let's say this happened:

1. Buyer makes payment.
2. Seller transfers (or pushes, makes no difference really) domain to Buyer.
3. Buyer refuses to acknowledge acceptance of the domain and states that he wants to cancel the escrow.

Buyer at this point is obligated by the TOS to return the domain to seller, in order to get his payment refunded. And according to the TOS he must do so within ten business days.

The hysterical Seller raises a fuss, says that he will not take this sh*t, and states on the record to escrow that he will not accept the domain back, that he won't be pushed around.

So...now that it's on the record that return of domain is impossible, that seller will not cooperate with return of domain, escrow has no choice but to freeze funds pending resolution of the stand off. Things could get really bad for the seller if he keeps refusing to accept the domain back; the buyer could sue to get his deposit back, and the domain could end up in a sort of escrow / trust, pending resolution, for who knows how long. Seller, by violating TOS, could end up liable for buyer's attorney fees, leaving him holding the bag with a judgment against him.

In meantime, a clever but dishonest Buyer has use of the domain, and his money is held up, but he knows he'll get the money back eventually and in the meantime has free use of the domain. He might even end up with a judgment against the stubborn seller that will get him his money back, and the domain (the dollar amount of the judgment might end up payable by a writ of execution against the domain).

A smarter, calmer seller whose goal was to get paid for the domain, would never state something as obstructive and violative of the TOS as that he will never accept the domain back. He would just pretend to go along with the process, and then after the ten days have passed, escrow would have to release funds to him, per its TOS. I'm not condoning this sort of seller behavior, but I am saying that calm minds that follow the law or at least appear to follow the law usually prevail.

When the law (the TOS) are on the buyer's side (allowing buyer to cancel), then the seller should be smarter about giving escrow an excuse to freeze funds, or for buyer to sue him for violating their contract.

Cooler heads usually prevail.

Last edited:
•••
Okay, let's summarize...
If you want to read the TOS,
https://www.escrow.com/escrow-101/general-escrow-instructions...
...During the Buyer Inspection Period, Buyer may reject for any reason by selecting the "Reject" button on the Escrow.com site and following all other instructions to properly reject the merchandise...
and
...Buyer agrees to promptly ship goods to Seller within ten (10) calendar days...
and
...Buyer is aware that regardless of the reason for rejection, Escrowed Property must be returned to the Seller in order for funds to be returned to the Buyer...
and
...In Transactions where the Escrowed Property is a domain name, if a Buyer rejects a domain name (...) within the Inspection Period, return of the domain name from Buyer to Seller must be initiated within ten (10) days of Buyer's rejection...
and
Failure of Buyer to reject or initiate return of the domain name within the specified time periods will cause the Escrow Holder to automatically pay the Seller the purchase price...
I think the above excerpts summarize things well. I was not aware of all this. Many thanks to @Keith and @xynames both for this valuable thread (y)

@xynames: all the more reason to keep the thread!

@Keith: knowing the above now, I think you will agree that you had overreacted. This said, nothing in Escrow.com's TOS says that it is your (the Seller's) responsibility to initiate communication with the Buyer and push him/her to return the domain, as instructed by Escrow.com's incompetent support staff (according to your OP). On the contrary, Escrow.com's TOS clearly stipulates that is the Buyer's responsibility. It's in the Seller's best interest to shut up, sit tight and wait 10 days after receiving notification from Escrow.com. Then it's a done deal and Escrow.com is duty bound to release the money to the Seller.

@Rob Monster: Escrow.com's TOS and this case study pretty much explains @Jackson Elsegood's panic and actions undertaken to discredit and disrupt Epik's business in this area. Your not charging a fee for your concierge level service, disrupting Escrow.com's decades long near-monopoly must drive Jackson to tears, or worse... I'd hire some bodyguards if I were you, Rob :xf.wink:

@Jackson Elsegood: why you insist on being the only dinosaur on the block is beyond me! Why not use your superior position and fight Epik and others tooth and nail, but using a carrot, that's to say make your concierge service standard? As things stand, you're looking more and more like the brainless school bully, instead of the escrow service in a class of it's own that Escrow.com used to be :xf.cry:

Last edited:
•••
Oh?....So why have escrow?

I have read too many threads like this, I used the concierge service before with similar value name and the buyer kept changing their mind where to push the domain, for a week which delayed my payment, then another few days to get paid. Thankfully I used concierge or I might be in a similar mess.

Last edited:
•••
Also, speaking to what happened here...IF the buyer were in fact dishonest (and clever), a seller who knew the escrow.com TOS and remained calm would have a leg up over a seller who got hysterical and stated categorically that he would not accept the return of the domain.

Let's say this happened:

1. Buyer makes payment.
2. Seller transfers (or pushes, makes no difference really) domain to Buyer.
3. Buyer refuses to acknowledge acceptance of the domain and states that he wants to cancel the escrow.

Buyer at this point is obligated by the TOS to return the domain to seller, in order to get his payment refunded. And according to the TOS he must do so within ten business days.

The hysterical Seller raises a fuss, says that he will not take this sh*t, and states on the record to escrow that he will not accept the domain back, that he won't be pushed around.

So...now that it's on the record that return of domain is impossible, that seller will not cooperate with return of domain, escrow has no choice but to freeze funds pending resolution of the stand off. Things could get really bad for the seller if he keeps refusing to accept the domain back; the buyer could sue to get his deposit back, and the domain could end up in a sort of escrow / trust, pending resolution, for who knows how long. Seller, by violating TOS, could end up liable for buyer's attorney fees, leaving him holding the bag with a judgment against him.

In meantime, a clever but dishonest Buyer has use of the domain, and his money is held up, but he knows he'll get the money back eventually and in the meantime has free use of the domain. He might even end up with a judgment against the stubborn seller that will get him his money back, and the domain (the dollar amount of the judgment might end up payable by a writ of execution against the domain).

A smarter, calmer seller whose goal was to get paid for the domain, would never state something as obstructive and violative of the TOS as that he will never accept the domain back. He would just pretend to go along with the process, and then after the ten days have passed, escrow would have to release funds to him, per its TOS. I'm not condoning this sort of seller behavior, but I am saying that calm minds that follow the law or at least appear to follow the law usually prevail.

When the law (the TOS) are on the buyer's side (allowing buyer to cancel), then the seller should be smarter about giving escrow an excuse to freeze funds, or for buyer to sue him for violating their contract.

Cooler heads usually prevail.
You bring up lots good points to not use Escrow.com. By using Epik, none of your scenarios would pertain.....

•••
This isn’t a case of the buyer simply saying they didn’t want the domain. It went well beyond that.

- The accusations that I hacked the receiving godaddy account...

- Escrow putting it on me to recover the domain, after instructing me to transfer...

- Escrow not showing any interest in doing homework to track the domain...

- Months of negotiating only for the buyer to immediately back out after taking possession of the asset...

The first response from escrow should’ve been to say that they would launch a complete investigation. That didn’t happen.

Now, as far as TOS is concerned...I don’t care. Not one time did escrow state that I was bound by TOS to reverse the domain transfer, even after I threatened legal action. Hmm, I wonder why that was the case?!

The integrity of the service is the most important aspect from a customers perspective, not a TOS that nobody ever reads. In this case I did everything asked of me from the company. At that point it’s up to the company to make sure the buyer does the same.

•••
This isn’t a case of the buyer simply saying they didn’t want the domain. It went well beyond that.

- Escrow putting it on me to recover the domain, after instructing me to transfer...

- Months of negotiating only for the buyer to immediately back out after taking possession of the asset...

The first response from escrow should’ve been to say that they would launch a complete investigation. That didn’t happen.

Now, as far as TOS is concerned...I don’t care. Not one time did escrow state that I was bound by TOS to reverse the domain transfer, even after I threatened legal action. Hmm, I wonder why that was the case?!

The integrity of the service is the most important aspect from a customers perspective, not a TOS that nobody ever reads. In this case I did everything asked of me from the company. At that point it’s up to the company to make sure the buyer does the same.
Maybe this person was stoned, and later came to their senses. I have had interesting negotiations in this space, and there are some characters in play for sure.

Escrow should have been able
to do a simple Whois pull to see something occurred.

If you read Domain King Rick’s tweet from a few weeks ago, he actually got an escrow employee fired, by the way they spoke to him in an email, the CEO of Freelancer caught the tweet.

Weekly employee meetings to go over scenarios that come up, and could be handled better. Letting some veteran employees write a FAQ of what to do?

In 2019 there should be protocol how to handle this situation. Maybe Step 1 is the two parties discuss, but step 2 would be to send a hold on transaction email, as it is under investigation to at least alert the two parties something is not right, so maybe their own talks can escalate. Who knows this company has been around forever, there should be steps in place to protect all parties. Clearly they want the domain, for the CBD play, on their Grasscity storefront, did they actually think they could have the domain, and funds also? That is the billion dollar question. Had they put the domain under privacy, and denied denied denied what simple step recourse could Keith have had outside starting his own legal action?

Concierge is a high margin product, and after this I am sure Keith will probably use it, and so will many others, but it kind of defeats the purpose of escrow, but what choice does one have, it’s not worth the frustration of above.

Last edited:
•••
...Concierge is a high margin product, and after this I am sure Keith will probably use it, and so will many others, but it kind of defeats the purpose of escrow, but what choice does one have, it’s not worth the frustration of above.
I suspect this might be the whole point of this sorry excercise: "motivating" people to use their concierge service. Risky business strategy, especially with Epik's very competitive offer, IMO... but what the heck do I know...

Seriously now: this thread has been a real eye opener for me. Seeing how Escrow.com muddles through this, it's beginning to look like a viable business opportunity... been thinking what to do with my DrEscrow.com... :dead:

Last edited:
•••
I suspect this might be the whole point of this sorry excercise: "motivating" people to use their concierge service. Risky business strategy, especially with Epik's very competitive offer, IMO... but what the heck do I know :dead:
The one vulnerability has always been the seller after push. If buyer fails to close out transaction, the entire scenario falls on you to prove transfer was completed, then this starts the inspection period. Some reps will accept the push emails, others are hesistant, and actually want confirmation from buyer. Since buyer did not start inspection period, and it was forced, this caused another mandatory 1 day hold, whatever clause that is, and then finally after that closes, and all is good, in another day or so you get your closing transaction statement.

Let’s not confuse Escrow, and Epik. Epik is a register so basically they can transact, and confirm everything in house. Rob is super accessible, and can usually sort out any major issues without much follow up. Epik is a transaction service because they are able to transact domains given they own a register, and they are in the business of buying, and selling domain, among other things. Either way, if Epik buyer fails at any step, your name is always protected because it is within the Epik register. If Epik has chargeback issues they simply make the buyer hold the domain st Epik, which is still fully functional until this period lapses. One is more formal, and one is more practical, but they are two totally different models, and should not be confused, or pooled into the same business category.

Last edited:
•••
Looks like the buyers operate a site called GrassCity.com
Google reddit grasscity and you’ll understand why I say this guy is shady.

This operation is terrible and not honest @xynames

So yes, this shitty company would clearly try to steal! I’m also certain that scammers don’t abide by TOS 👍

Last edited:
•••

I agreed with you. You did nothing wrong at all.

Your rights is backed by common law. It make no sense for the buyer to cancel the deal after he got the domain.

In the meantime, the buyer has the rights to cancel the deal after he got the domain, as long as he returned it within 10 days and this unreasonable rights is backed by escrow.com.

In this case, you may want to sue the buyer for breaching the contract or you may want to sue escrow.com for negligent in their duty of care and caused you a financial loss.

But trust me you will not want to sue anyone, the legal expense is way too much.
So, the best way to protect yourself is to read the TOS carefully and avoid to use the standard service.

Last edited:
•••
I think something overlooked, is that people should realise that legally speaking, they can set anything they want between buyer and seller that could, would or should protect them beyond the scope of Escrow.com (bearing in mind that some clauses could be void depending on the various laws of the jurisdictions involved). Meaning that while negotiating the sale, you could include a term that stipulates the transaction final once the domain has been transferred and that regardless of what it says at Escrow.com, that there is no inspection period.

Obviously that doesn't protect you from the actual crime of someone stealing the domain, but it would give you legal recourse (although I'm not sure if Escrow could do anything about it, since the "added" term would be beyond the scope of their TOS, and more importantly, beyond your agreement with Escrow .. so it might be necessary for you to take the buyer to court)

That being said .. getting back to the discussion .. I think this is yet another thread where everyone on both sides are both right and wrong .. lol.

In a more general global sense, @xynames is right in theory, particularly for traffic/content domains where a longer inspection period is understandable and even necessary. Although I would still like Escrow to clarify the "inspection period" .. as in the end I think he's potentially wrong (just for "1 day inspection periods"), but not based on anything he said, but more based on what I think Escrow means by an actual "1 day inspection period" (see below)

However .. I think a specific situation where a buyer accuses the seller of hacking their account is a pretty obvious case where the Escrow service needs to take immediate action to ascertain what is going on with the domain and secure it ASAP. If this isn't a case they feel they need to step up in, then in all honesty, what's the point of even using Escrow considering all the technical loopholes being discussed already in this thread?

If @Keith already tried talking to several Escrow.com agents, then I think his frustrations are legit in this specific case.

In the meantime, the buyer has the rights to cancel the deal after he got the domain, as long as he returned it within 10 days and this unreasonable rights is backed by escrow.com.

Note that either way the buyer does not have 10 days to cancel ... they have to cancel within the "inspection period", then they have 10 days to INITIATE the return the domain otherwise the seller gets the money. So in theory that 10 days could be 15+ days without a fast manual transfer .. (possibly as long as 15+ YEARS if the domain is at Network Solutions .. lol)

Beyond this point I think there is a big question .. which is what exactly does a 1 day inspection period even mean? I know I've had that stage move faster than 24 hours in the past (when I'm pretty sure the buyer didn't have time to close things on their end).

I think the confusion is that it's more a of logic flaw within the Escrow.com platform .. as I think they count the transaction day as a day. So yes inspection period looks like "one" day .. but "1 day" is effectively "zero more days".

What I'm trying to say makes more sense when talking about more days (as I think would be more normal with physical products. For example, "2 Days" could mean 48 hours .. but could also simply mean to include the current day and the following day, so effectively about a day. Obviously with the international nature of domain sales it can't even really be set to "midnight" (BUT .. unfortunately since there is no official definition it could justifiably be interpreted multiple ways.).

Escrow needs to set an actual time and/or countdown clock to remove any and all doubt and ambiguity.

At least that was my impression as I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that one of my prior transactions, the "1 day" inspection period was closer to 0 hours than it was 24 hours (which as a seller I was very happy about). I really don't remember the exact time .. but I just remember thinking that indeed the "one day" was more of a logic flaw (not really a bug .. but kinda a case of bad communication and poor clarity).

I'm thinking maybe it was a side effect of them having one platform for all their transactions including physical products.

Besides .. if that were really the case where buyers could cancel within a "FULL" day, then there should be notices warning to not do any push or transfer with a 60 day lock (more than just in the TOS). But at the same time I think doing a push/transfer with the 60 day lock is far and away your best protection as a seller. Because in cases like this one, Escrow.com would have 60 days to figure it all out with the buyer, seller, and registrars involved, before the domain could be gone forever, re-transferred to some registrar overseas.

Anyhow .. I'll repeat again like a few days ago .. rather than speculating, guessing or arguing .. how about we simply ask Escrow what "1 day inspection period" actually means EXACTLY? (@Jackson Elsegood? What say you on this matter? lol)

All that said .. regardless of everything everyone has said so far ..
Escrow.com needs to create a 0 day inspection option.
(Or otherwise allow us to remove inspection periods completely)

Unless "1 day" is like I suspect and actually means to include the current day .. which equates to no actual inspection period .. in which case that fact needs to be SIGNIFICANTLY MORE clarified).

Because I certainly understand the need for an inspection period for most conventional products and services .. however .. in the case of "sold as is" domains with no promises of traffic/content, then an inspection period is just a needless potential loophole to be exploited.

Last edited:
•••
Because I certainly understand the need for an inspection period for most conventional products and services .. however .. in the case of "sold as is" domains with no promises of traffic/content, then an inspection period is just a needless potential loophole to be exploited.

Interesting point.

In what way could a domain turn out be "not as advertised"?

Would an IDN or typo qualify or is that just tough luck to the buyer?

•••
Hmmmn .. I don't think you understood what I was trying to get to.

Effectively as domainers there are 3 types of escrow transactions:

#1- Transactions of everything aside from domains .. which I'm guessing most of the time often require an inspection period. #1 is likely the reason inspection periods were built into the Escrow.com platform. But in all honesty .. for the sake of this discussion .. who cares about these transactions as they have zero relevance to domainers .. no point discussing these here aside from them being the obvious reason "inspection periods" exist in the first place.

#2- Transaction of "as is" domain sales. This is where it not even about if a domain is "as advertised" or not. Because there's nothing advertised beyond ownership of the domain. As long as nothing more than the actual domain is promised, then any inspection period is a pointless feature that's very existence only serves to widen loopholes to be exploited by a buyer with bad intentions.

#3- Transaction of "domains+". With the "+" in this case potentially being PROMISED traffic (or web site content). So it's not about anything hidden "not being as advertised" .. this would be (unhidden) things that were actually promised as part of the sales agreement. In these cases I most certainly could understand the need for an inspection period to verify traffic and/or audit content, etc. But this type of transaction, like #1, also is pretty much irrelevant to most domainers who simply sell domains "as is" (ie transaction type #2)

Keep in mind that I'm pretty sure #2 represents a significant majority of domain sales at Escrow .. and as such I really think they need to work into their platform an option with no inspection period.

The question on IDN is really beyond the scope of this discussion on just Escrow.com. While I would 100% hope that at Escrow.com, if a seller entered an IDN domain, that it would show up as the longer version of the domain to the buyer. But it's a concern that's applicable to all domain transactions (not just those via escrow).

As for typos .. pretty much the same .. effectively off topic to this conversation as it doesn't really have anything specific to Escrow beyond any other domain transaction on any type of platform, escrow or otherwise. If the domain is part of the contract, it's hard to argue the buyer didn't know it was a typo. Plus .. how's the seller to know the buyer didn't want the typo.

I think what you're asking though .. I don't want to take this discussion off-topic, but quickly I'll say that it could be that a domains is blacklisted by email spam guards or at google. Again though .. I think these are beyond the scope of #2 type of transactions. Obviously these are things a buyer or seller could negotiate and choose to include in any sales contract .. but in those rare situations the transaction becomes a type 3 transaction .. where it would not be unreasonable to include an inspection period if either party wanted it.

•••
Anyhow .. I'll repeat again like a few days ago .. rather than speculating, guessing or arguing .. how about we simply ask Escrow what "1 day inspection period" actually means EXACTLY? (@Jackson Elsegood? What say you on this matter? lol)

All that said .. regardless of everything everyone has said so far ..
Escrow.com needs to create a 0 day inspection option.
(Or otherwise allow us to remove inspection periods completely)

Unless "1 day" is like I suspect and actually means to include the current day .. which equates to no actual inspection period .. in which case that fact needs to be SIGNIFICANTLY MORE clarified).

Escrow.com have a long history in the escrow business.

Escrow.com webpage back in 2005 and 2006
https://web.archive.org/web/20060509011232/https://www.escrow.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/20060509011232/https://www.escrow.com/

The inspection period was originally used for the eBay and vehicle trading.
==================
Quote from:
https://www.escrow.com/buy/classic-cars

Using an audited, bonded escrow service eliminates fraud from all your transactions. This is because in an escrow transaction, you can stipulate the terms of the inspection period and can include provisions to have a mechanic inspect the vehicle. If the vehicle does not pass the inspection, you have the opportunity to send the vehicle back and your escrow provider will disburse your funds back into your bank account.

===============

When they expand their business to include domain niche, they just re-use the inspection period for domain escrow.
That's why we found that the 'inspection period' is irrelevant to domain business.

•••
Ok , wow, got this thread mailed to me by Godddaddy.

In have nothing to hide in this case. Just to make clear that Keith here is kind of pissed on escrow and therefore calls me a thief. There was quite some unclarity during this transaction and just like Keith was afraid to lose his domain, I was afraid to release the funds and to loose my 11.5 k investment without getting the domain, I was always in contact with Keith via mail, so for him to freak out here and saying I'm a scammer is just ridiculous. The GoDaddy procedure was not flawless and just having another GoDaddy account being hacked made me unsure, so I wanted to clear that with Godaddy before releasing the funds. I have mailed that to Keith at once, I was not afraid of a lawsuit or what so ever. It was a misunderstanding and from my view handled as such, if Keith thinks otherwise that I can't help him. I thank him for selling the domain and I hope he will enjoy his 11.5 k.

Case closed imo.

Have a nice day you all!

PS Totally agreeing that policy of Escrwo is unclear, but from my point of view that was good when I was afraid to lose my investment, so I get Keith's point there, but there was no mal-intent here from my side.

Last edited:
•••
I didn’t give all the details but from my perspective it was an attempted theft. Hopefully the mods can update the title and we all move on.
Well, that was just not the case and I hope you understand that without being able to defend myself, that being accused of trying to scam you is kind of offensive. Your "perspective" hopefully would have changed by now, since you received the money exactly less than a day later, as I promised you in our email correspondence. I hope you accept it as a fact.

•••
Well, that was just not the case and I hope you understand that without being able to defend myself, that being accused of trying to scam you is kind of offensive. Your "perspective" hopefully would have changed by now, since you received the money exactly less than a day later, as I promised you in our email correspondence. I hope you accept it as a fact.
The GoDaddy procedure was not flawless and just having another GoDaddy account being hacked made me unsure, so I wanted to clear that with Godaddy before releasing the funds.
But this isn’t what happened. The domain was accepted into your godaddy account, the same account you provided info for. Minutes later you tried to cancel the transaction with escrow. That’s certainly not trying to clear anything up with godaddy.

I would’ve understood completely if you emailed escrow and me to say there was an issue at godaddy and you needed extra time. No problem there. The timing and sequence of events led me to believe it was a scam. It ended up working out and we got it done which is great.

The mods were asked pages ago to update the title to resolved and close this thread. They haven’t done that for whatever reason.

•••
I was afraid to release the funds and to loose my 11.5 k investment without getting the domain
So, you didn't CANCEL transaction at Escrow after you accept domain?

•••
So, you didn't CANCEL transaction at Escrow after you accept domain?
I just looked at the times on the emails.

At 3:40 pm godaddy sent confirmation that the account change was complete. At 3:51 I emailed the buyer and asked him to please accept at escrow. I got no response. At 4:13 pm, 33 minutes later, escrow sent an email saying the buyer requested to cancel the transaction.

•••
Hey Guys,

For me this is a done deal in good conscience and faith,think whatever you like, not going to spend more time on this....

Not going to respond here anymore. All the best.

•••
@cbdcity & @Keith

Did @cbdcity accuse @Keith of hacking @cbdcity's GoDaddy account? And if so, what exactly were the words used? When exactly was it said/written?

Because at the end of the day, that's a huge deal and a huge part of why someone could or couldn't justifiably be accused of really crossing a line here.

Also .. @cbdcity .. while in your mind from your perspective it's very possible you genuinely had no bad intent, you really owe an explanation for the timing of your cancellation and lack of direct response after 3:51pm.

I'm not saying you're guilty of anything, but without answering those questions, your claims of innocence are effectively meaningless. If you genuinely are hoping to clear your name, I highly suggest you be a little more detailed.

Last edited:
•••
@cbdcity & @Keith

Did @cbdcity accuse @Keith of hacking @cbdcity's GoDaddy account? And if so, what exactly were the words used? When exactly was it said/written?

Because at the end of the day, that's a huge deal and a huge part of why someone could or couldn't justifiably be accused of really crossing a line here.

Also .. @cbdcity .. while in your mind from your perspective it's very possible you genuinely had no bad intent, you really owe an explanation for the timing of your cancellation and lack of direct response after 3:51pm.

I'm not saying you're guilty of anything, but without answering those questions, your claims of innocence are effectively meaningless. If you genuinely are hoping to clear your name, I highly suggest you be a little more detailed.
This is an email from the buyer at 5:12 pm, 1 hour after asking escrow to cancel...

On Apr 4, 2019, at 5:12 PM, Filip Ernest <[email protected]> wrote:

Keith Can you explain one thing to me, how and why did you send it in the first place to the incorrect godaddy account, its a total clusterfuck now, that account got hacked and the email for password retrieval is [email protected], please explain that

Filip Ernest

I sent the domain to an account that the buyer provided info for. It’s all in the email chain.

•••
@Keith .. I highly suggest you edit out both the full emails (or at least the parts left of @) and the full name of the person involved. (before the 30 minute limit)

Also .. was the gMail account your email? Otherwise I don't see an accusation of you hacking his account.

If the K__ initials in the gmail account are yours .. then there is indeed a huge fraud alert here .. as in theory there could be reason for @cbdcity to think you hacked his account .. or more frightfully .. he set up that email and GoDaddy account for the very reason to create the illusion he didn't receive the domain.

I'm thinking it's also very likely something else happened. Automated communication and emails from GoDaddy are beyond horrendous and inexcusably confusing. Sometimes both buyer and seller get the same email .. and the language used in transfers can be confusing in cases of sales and a transfer between 2 different people as it's the same emails and language as if you transferred the domain to yourself in many cases.

GoDaddy REALLY needs to clean up and audit their automated emails .. and in the case of transfers, needs to use wording that does not lead to confusion keeping in mind transfers can be from person A to person A as well as from person A to person B! I'm not saying this was what was going on here .. but GoDaddy really makes things very confusing at times simply due to the language and pronouns they use in their automated emails. Worse than that, often automated emails don't even get sent the first time.

•••
All you have to do is read OP’s posts about how he won’t take any sh*t and won’t be pushed around and could give a damn about TOS and it makes perfect sense that he jumped the gun and misinterpreted what was going on. I’ve been saying that all along. And now we have the buyer himself who has come in and clarified this too. Plus OP gives us an email not even from buyer to support what he thought was going on?

We still learned from this thread. Learned that we should know what the TOS of an escrow contract are.

And now we just learned, as always, that there are two sides to every story.

•••
Yes, that’s my email. The accusation that I’d hack an account I’m pushing to is absurd. I wouldn’t have the first clue how to do that, nor would I want to!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back