Dynadot

Resolved

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
@Jackson Elsegood
Regarding transaction 4532982 for CBDcity.com for $11,500...

The buyer took possession via push at godaddy and immediately requested that escrow cancel the deal. I’ve provided loads of email verification to escrow to show my position. Meanwhile they are asking me to work with the buyer to get the domain back.

I’ll need to be paid or I will take legal action. My suggestion is that escrow do a little homework to verify the account push. I’ve done too much business with you guys for you to put this back on me. The buyer is a scam artist and I won’t play games!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
All you have to do is read OP’s posts about how he won’t take any sh*t and won’t be pushed around and could give a damn about TOS and it makes perfect sense that he jumped the gun and misinterpreted what was going on. I’ve been saying that all along. And now we have the buyer himself who has come in and clarified this too. Plus OP gives us an email not even from buyer to support what he thought was going on?

We still learned from this thread. Learned that we should know what the TOS of an escrow contract are.

And now we just learned, as always, that there are two sides to every story.
The email is from the buyer. Once again you have no clue about what’s happening here.

•••
Buyer came in here to say that you misinterpreted his actions. As always two sides to every story. Nothing anyone says will ever change the way a stubborn person thinks.

But - thanks for helping us learn the escrow.com TOS. Too bad It doesn’t seem like you learned anything though if you’re still saying that “TOS don’t matter” and “I won’t read TOS.” History repeats itself for those who won’t learn.

It shouldn’t be solely about who is right or wrong but also about learning from our past actions.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Well .. if he's accusing you of sending the domain to an account with your email then that is a false accusation of fraud.

What I don't understand is how he would ever even know the password retrieval email for any account that isn't indeed actually his own? (This is a big reason why the buyer really needs to clarify things and owes an explanation to Keith and very likely an apology at the very least)

So .. while the string of events most certainly do point to attempted fraud .. I unfortunately can't rule out a clarity issue on GoDaddy's side leading to confusion from the buyer. It's equally possible the buyer got confused by something that wasn't GoDaddy's fault at all.

@xynames .. Your points about Escrow.com in general are not necessarily wrong .. and you're definitely correct that this thread has been informative and helpful to shine a light on the overall Escrow process .. but in all fairness to @Keith .. for this specific transaction, there is significant vital information the buyer has not addressed. Namely the buyer accusing Keith sending the domain to an account controlled by Keith.

Whether this was done by malice or confusion .. either way Keith is totally justified to have been concerned and upset (because of the unique circumstances such an extreme accusation bring to an incomplete transaction).

If indeed Keith did then contact Escrow multiple times explaining that the buyer was accusing him of sending the domain to the *sellers own* account, then it's totally wrong for Escrow to have told Keith to deal with the buyer ... as I think most would agree that it was fair for Keith to assume that a buyer who accuses the seller of fraudulently sending the domain to the seller's account, is by simple deduction, claiming that he as the buyer does not have full control nor actual ownership of the domain.

Effectively the real question boils down to why would Escrow ask the seller to arrange for the buyer to return the domain when the buyer is claiming he doesn't have full control of the domain? The only thing that could otherwise come into play is if Keith didn't explain the buyer's accusation clearly enough (which I doubt is the case .. but obviously I couldn't say with 100% certainty).

If anything, Escrow should have stepped in to clarify the situation (because of the explicit accusation from the buyer) .. as I'll be the first to say that there's a good possibility that nobody had real fraudulent intent here, and that all this could genuinely be the result of the buyer not having a complete grasp of the GoDaddy platform or of domain transfers in general.

After all the "inspection period" talk throughout this thread .. the issue at play here really is not at all an inspection period issue .. as the inspection period only begins after the buyer receives the domain .. but in this case the buyer is implying to the seller that the buyer hasn't even received the domain yet (and more importantly, that the buyer has not received the domain because of the accused fraudulent action of the seller sending the domain to an account controlled by the seller instead of one controlled by the buyer).

Last edited:
•••
This might not be it at all but I had a recent sale in which the person was confused. At Godaddy, I pushed the domain over to his account, they rejected it because there was a lock, they wanted to transfer out to another registrar. When you push at GoDaddy, you have a few different options. I usually pick the use the Details from the buyer's account. But if they want to transfer out, then you push the domain over keeping your details, so there isn't a lock. So the domain is in their account but with your information. That might throw some people off.

-----------------------
I've used Escrow.com without much of an issue. Had a recent one where the buyer had a bunch of different email addresses and he got the domain but wouldn't finish up logging into Escrow and hitting the button saying he got it. We got in a 3 way email and worked it all out. It's annoying since I like to get things going and get things done, so sometimes they don't complete that extra step. But at the end it gets handled.

----------------------
Little confused on some recommending Epik "escrow" since from what I've read they're not an actual accredited Escrow. I think a more valid comparison would be GoDaddy or Namesilo etc, other registrars that also have a Marketplace. Whenever I see a big sale here, I think Chocolate, I know the CBDOil, it's usually thru Escrow.com. The sale in this thread thru Escrow.com. With Epik you have to bring them thru that registrar, which seems like an extra hurdle in closing a sale, which is dumb to be. My usual reply for a sale is, the domain is regged at GoDaddy, if you already have an account there or want to open one up, it's an easy push OR you can buy a transfer at your favorite registrar. I don't force the deal thru a registrar of my choosing. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

For @Keith - even with this incident, are you going to continue to use Escrow.com for future sales or picking another one?

Last edited:
•••
I think something overlooked, is that people should realise that legally speaking, they can set anything they want between buyer and seller that could, would or should protect them beyond the scope of Escrow.com (bearing in mind that some clauses could be void depending on the various laws of the jurisdictions involved). Meaning that while negotiating the sale, you could include a term that stipulates the transaction final once the domain has been transferred and that regardless of what it says at Escrow.com, that there is no inspection period.

Obviously that doesn't protect you from the actual crime of someone stealing the domain, but it would give you legal recourse (although I'm not sure if Escrow could do anything about it, since the "added" term would be beyond the scope of their TOS, and more importantly, beyond your agreement with Escrow .. so it might be necessary for you to take the buyer to court)

That being said .. getting back to the discussion .. I think this is yet another thread where everyone on both sides are both right and wrong .. lol.

In a more general global sense, @xynames is right in theory, particularly for traffic/content domains where a longer inspection period is understandable and even necessary. Although I would still like Escrow to clarify the "inspection period" .. as in the end I think he's potentially wrong (just for "1 day inspection periods"), but not based on anything he said, but more based on what I think Escrow means by an actual "1 day inspection period" (see below)

However .. I think a specific situation where a buyer accuses the seller of hacking their account is a pretty obvious case where the Escrow service needs to take immediate action to ascertain what is going on with the domain and secure it ASAP. If this isn't a case they feel they need to step up in, then in all honesty, what's the point of even using Escrow considering all the technical loopholes being discussed already in this thread?

If @Keith already tried talking to several Escrow.com agents, then I think his frustrations are legit in this specific case.

Note that either way the buyer does not have 10 days to cancel ... they have to cancel within the "inspection period", then they have 10 days to INITIATE the return the domain otherwise the seller gets the money. So in theory that 10 days could be 15+ days without a fast manual transfer .. (possibly as long as 15+ YEARS if the domain is at Network Solutions .. lol)

Beyond this point I think there is a big question .. which is what exactly does a 1 day inspection period even mean? I know I've had that stage move faster than 24 hours in the past (when I'm pretty sure the buyer didn't have time to close things on their end).

I think the confusion is that it's more a of logic flaw within the Escrow.com platform .. as I think they count the transaction day as a day. So yes inspection period looks like "one" day .. but "1 day" is effectively "zero more days".

What I'm trying to say makes more sense when talking about more days (as I think would be more normal with physical products. For example, "2 Days" could mean 48 hours .. but could also simply mean to include the current day and the following day, so effectively about a day. Obviously with the international nature of domain sales it can't even really be set to "midnight" (BUT .. unfortunately since there is no official definition it could justifiably be interpreted multiple ways.).

Escrow needs to set an actual time and/or countdown clock to remove any and all doubt and ambiguity.

At least that was my impression as I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that one of my prior transactions, the "1 day" inspection period was closer to 0 hours than it was 24 hours (which as a seller I was very happy about). I really don't remember the exact time .. but I just remember thinking that indeed the "one day" was more of a logic flaw (not really a bug .. but kinda a case of bad communication and poor clarity).

I'm thinking maybe it was a side effect of them having one platform for all their transactions including physical products.

Besides .. if that were really the case where buyers could cancel within a "FULL" day, then there should be notices warning to not do any push or transfer with a 60 day lock (more than just in the TOS). But at the same time I think doing a push/transfer with the 60 day lock is far and away your best protection as a seller. Because in cases like this one, Escrow.com would have 60 days to figure it all out with the buyer, seller, and registrars involved, before the domain could be gone forever, re-transferred to some registrar overseas.

Anyhow .. I'll repeat again like a few days ago .. rather than speculating, guessing or arguing .. how about we simply ask Escrow what "1 day inspection period" actually means EXACTLY? (@Jackson Elsegood? What say you on this matter? lol)

All that said .. regardless of everything everyone has said so far ..
Escrow.com needs to create a 0 day inspection option.
(Or otherwise allow us to remove inspection periods completely)

Unless "1 day" is like I suspect and actually means to include the current day .. which equates to no actual inspection period .. in which case that fact needs to be SIGNIFICANTLY MORE clarified).

Because I certainly understand the need for an inspection period for most conventional products and services .. however .. in the case of "sold as is" domains with no promises of traffic/content, then an inspection period is just a needless potential loophole to be exploited.

I am always aware that there are two sides to every story. Without an explanation from cbdcity I am siding with Keith on this one. Really opened my eyes; ironically the most interesting and my favourite thread on NP since joining 3-4 years ago.

•••
For @Keith - even with this incident, are you going to continue to use Escrow.com for future sales or picking another one?
Yes I will use them but only via concierge.

A suggestion would be that they remove the inspection period for domains. There should never be a case where a domain is transferred and the buyer has the option to back out after accepting.

•••
Whenever I see a big sale here, I think Chocolate

Sale? Well maybe someday it will have a coming soon page, as it still points to the brokers page. lol.

•••
•••
I just did a 5 grand deal on escrow, as they scare the -hit out of me ,from now on ill take the price up a bit and gladly keep paying afternic 20 percent

•••
But if they want to transfer out, then you push the domain over keeping your details, so there isn't a lock. So the domain is in their account but with your information. That might throw some people off.
Right here I think you nailed it. I'm willing to bet this is what happened: Either by choice or inadvertently, Keith kept his own info intact (including email) when pushing the domain to the buyer's account. The buyer accesses his account, and upon seeing Keith's contact info in place, he freaks out thinking the account has been hacked (by Keith). The buyer reacts by requesting Escrow to cancel the transaction and refund his "investment". Keith then gets wind of this from Escrow and freaks out, thinking he's being scammed by a potential "thief".

Otherwise I am absolutely unable to follow this thread at this point and believe it's time to close and hopefully forget it.

Last edited:
•••
Glad it got worked out at the end, interesting to see people's general opinions about Escrow.com and Epik.com too, good reference.

•••
Right here I think you nailed it. I'm willing to bet this is what happened: Either by choice or inadvertently, Keith kept his own info intact (including email) when pushing the domain to the buyer's account. The buyer accesses his account, and upon seeing Keith's contact info in place, he freaks out thinking the account has been hacked (by Keith). The buyer reacts by requesting Escrow to cancel the transaction and refund his "investment". Keith then gets wind of this from Escrow and freaks out, thinking he's being scammed by a potential "thief".

Otherwise I am absolutely unable to follow this thread at this point and believe it's time to close and hopefully forget it.
It was pushed with the option to use the buyers info. I took a screenshot immediately after the domain was accepted.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back