IT.COM

discuss [Resolved] Domainer Loses $26k On A Stolen Domain!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Darn! Another scam and this time it is an experienced domainer James Booth.

James must have thought he was making a sound acquisition as he transferred approximately 26k to escrow for CQD.com. Instead, after completing the escrow, the domain was taken from his account by the registrar without notification and returned to the "true" owner.

Turns out the person that sold him the domain CQD.com, may not have been the true owner.

Apparently this incident involves several parties including the registrar and the escrow.

Thanks to Theo over at DomainGang for the tip on this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I fear this thread has gone completely off the rails.

It might take at least one of two parties to get it back on track.

6bda5c4e6f52512c7e7d15824d94482e.jpg

Last edited:
•••
I still remember the first pages of the thread... Something doesn't fit big time...

I called, emailed and did all the checks. It seems she told Web.com one of her employees sold the name without her authorization which is a lie.

I did reach out to the owner of the domain as well for clarification and have not had a response yet.

BS!!! YOU NEVER SPOKE TO ME!

james did call me once and left a message

So, did James call? Did Rebecca pick the phone?

my web site and emails were all up and running

How can this happen, that her domain was bought twice and she didn't notice? She speaks about cache, but while cache can be reason for the site open, email will never work out of cache.
Why could both buyers leave the domain on the old DNS?? To hide the fact of domain sale from Rebecca? I kinda don't believe in that...

And also this:

i am looking for retribution from my former hosting company

If she is so delusional about how internet works, it might be she really said and clicked "yes" in some places without realising what she's doing... It's like that guy from another thread who "mistakenly" bought 8K domain on Sedo.

Last edited:
•••
Nameservers were changed

Sale 1: Mr Han changed the nameservers to DNS.com
Sale 2: James changed nameservers to parkingcrew and now pointing to wixdns

I do not believe anyone of the buyers was trying to hide the sale or transfer.

ns Screenshot_4.png

•••
I have held back from posting anything until now because quite frankly Mr. Berry hill has laid out the only real choices available to the buyer and seller. I did not feel much more could be added.

The new development of Mr. Ham entering the picture and his story (if true) does one thing, bolsters Rebecca's story and shows James was tricked as well.

At this point it is back to square one and a case where James and Rebecca need to deal with it how they feel they should.

I can only add to this that none of what has happened above hasn't happened before, I have seen it MANY times, spoof phone numbers, leaving DNS unchanged after a theft and all.

All the best to both parties involved, both seem to have been harmed.

•••
There 2 points I have noted after reading this:
1) Don't buy a domain if it sits with Netsol.
2) If you really want the domain, then have the buyer transfer to another registrar and not push to Netsol.
3) See some ID from the seller if the domain is high value and speak to the buyer over the phone.
4) Use escrow agencies for high-value domains - pretty obvious one.
5) If for some reason you have your domain pushed to your netsol account. Call them and have them remove the 60-day lock and get the hell outta there. <--- not sure if this is possible with them but I have done it before at a different registrar.

•••
I still remember the first pages of the thread... Something doesn't fit big time..... It's like that guy from another thread who "mistakenly" bought 8K domain on Sedo.

which thread? ^^ would like to read that

•••
The persons behind thee Iana id 146 i think is behind alot.
different thread
There seems to be alot of dishonest people. My thought is there is a little click of people. That are of like mind and they are only about. How they can get over on someone no matter the cost because with them the ends justify their meens .i do know that the person behind the Iana id number 146 seems to have alot to do with owning domains and this persons name is Christopher Cantrell
I hope this helps figure out whats going on.

•••
So, I guess this is what happened:

Part 1
  • Rebecca had a TV at her home.
  • A thief sold Rebecca's TV to James for $25k/19k. Rebecca didn't know about it.
  • James paid the thief and got the TV - he didn't know it was stolen.
  • When Rebecca got to know, she took her TV back and kept it at her home.

At this point, a stolen TV was given back to the owner.
The people who dealt with stolen TV lost their money.

Part 2
  • James got the local sheriff involved, and took it back from Rebecca's home, saying because he paid a lot of money for the stolen TV, he wanted it back.
  • Rebecca is now furious because she lost her TV!! She tells everyone not to buy it because it is stolen.
  • James won't give it back saying he paid money to the TV thief and so it is his. He is ready to compromise.

Behind the camera - 1
  • OmarVG, who lives in the same block, makes fun of James (in a way not representative of the community members) saying he lost money
  • James knows a lot of guys are listening so he says he did millions worth of transactions in the first three months of 2018, thus implying this is chump change for him.
  • Rebecca who is also listening, now asks James, hey if you are so rich why can't you pay me back?

Behind the camera - 2
  • Rebecca casually says she has a lot of horses
  • A lot of people living around the block are allergic to horses and so secretly start hating Rebecca

Behind the camera - 3
  • James is a guy who sells a lot of TVs - so a few people secretly hope someday he will donate a TV to them if they are nice to him.

Did I miss anything? ;)

(Seriously: Just kidding, guys. I sincerely hope all parties [except the scammers!] can reach an amicable solution as soon as possible. )

LMAO!!!! this is too funny! i needed that. i needed something humorous in my life right now. thank you for the sunshine this brought to my day. PS i put my horse down this morning. she came up suddenly ill and clicked last night in the 32° overnight temps. RIP Melody. I am even more sad now. Yet another loss that i was unprepared for. SUX for me.

Last edited:
•••
LMAO!!!! this is too funny! i needed that. i needed something humorous in my life right now. thank you for the sunshine this brought to my day. PS i put my horse down this morning. she came up suddenly ill and clicked last night in the 32° overnight temps. RIP Melody. I am even more sad now. Yet another loss that i was unprepared for. SUX for me.
Can your share any screenshots with us?

•••
Can your share any screenshots with us?
which ones?
• the 19k cancelled escrow.com shot? (CANCELLED Oct. 29 2017)
• the fake emails from Nov 6 between Jack and "me"?
• the IP address report linking the email forward to a certain state NOT FL on nov 6?
• the email forward address on my web hoster?
• the emails from booth telling me how he'll be happy to split the profits with me if I'm a "good girl" and don't social media flambaze him? btw, when did speaking the truth (i.e. james booth you are in possession of a stolen domain and i want it back) turn into slander?
• the sale receipt for when i paid for the domain renewal in aug?

does anyone know who is seller "CQD - JR" on the escrow.com CANCELLED transaction for 19K NOT 25K is? (yes i have a screen shot of it) .... and it's not me! i had never heard of escrow.com before this fiasco. my attorney here in gainesville closes everything for me. and let me tell you there would have been a legal written, notarized with copies of drivers licenses and blue ink signatures in the event i had sold my domain. i don't do anything outside the attorney office in this day in age with all the scammers. and...why would i be in such a rush to sell and not be prepared for the ramifications of the PIMA email issues? what else have i uncovered in this seemingly unending series of events?

i will be clear on this too: i will not burn my FL real estate brokerage license for anyone or anything! i worked too hard for it. how many hours of classes and how much money do domain resellers expend in order to "sell" domains? because i have been through a heck of a lot of class time and spend thousands to be an active real estate broker in my market areas. this situation would qualify as a pretty stupid and pathetic move on my part and would burn my license. sorry folks, that is just not happening.

i am not asking for monetary compensation. i am simply asking for the speedy return of my CQD.com domain so my emails can roll in and out again and my web site is present with that url.

•••
I think your faking all this. Except maybe the horse. Sorry about that.
I hit a quail on my way to work
Screenshots please
Some kind of proof, then maybe more people will believe you

•••
Until you reach a solution, I think Booth should set up the old email address and let it forward to you. I am doing this right now with a domain I bought as a courtesy because the old owner forgot to notify his contacts.

•••
are domain resellers required to take code of ethics classes every 2 years to keep a license?
are domain resellers required to take core law classes every 2 years to keep a license?
are domain resellers required to take 14 hours continuing education classes every 2 years to keep a license?

as a Realtor®, I AM.
and i am not burning my license with activity such as domain theft.
consider that "harm to the general public".

Last edited:
•••
Until you reach a solution, I think Booth should set up the old email address and let it forward to you. I am doing this right now with a domain I bought as a courtesy because the old owner forgot to notify his contacts.
what? so he can access my emails on the backend? would you be ok with that?

•••
what? so he can access my emails on the backend? would you be ok with that?

There are actually many honest people in this business. I have never once thought about looking at the emails that I forward to the former owner of my domain.

I use automatic email forwarding, so I don't even get to see the incoming emails.

But of course, everything is built on trust.

Last edited:
•••
I think your faking all this. Except maybe the horse. Sorry about that.
I hit a quail on my way to work
Screenshots please
Some kind of proof, then maybe more people will believe you

you hit a quail? how did you hit a quail? they live in the woods...they flush out during trail rides. i don't see them on roadways...but anyway.

specifically, what proof do you think you need me to provide you, who i don't know, to prove i did not partake or authorize in the sale of my domain for way less than i had it advertised on afternigc of 2 years, anyway? what we have here is:
The reversed responsibility response – switching the burden of proof. SOoooo how about the buyer prove i did this? and i mean PROVE.
and thanks for the condolences on my horse. it is posted on my personal Facebook page. it's real.

•••
which ones?
• the 19k cancelled escrow.com shot? (CANCELLED Oct. 29 2017)
• the fake emails from Nov 6 between Jack and "me"?
• the IP address report linking the email forward to a certain state NOT FL on nov 6?
• the email forward address on my web hoster?
• the emails from booth telling me how he'll be happy to split the profits with me if I'm a "good girl" and don't social media flambaze him? btw, when did speaking the truth (i.e. james booth you are in possession of a stolen domain and i want it back) turn into slander?
• the sale receipt for when i paid for the domain renewal in aug?

does anyone know who is seller "CQD - JR" on the escrow.com CANCELLED transaction for 19K NOT 25K is? (yes i have a screen shot of it) .... and it's not me! i had never heard of escrow.com before this fiasco. my attorney here in gainesville closes everything for me. and let me tell you there would have been a legal written, notarized with copies of drivers licenses and blue ink signatures in the event i had sold my domain. i don't do anything outside the attorney office in this day in age with all the scammers. and...why would i be in such a rush to sell and not be prepared for the ramifications of the PIMA email issues? what else have i uncovered in this seemingly unending series of events?

i will be clear on this too: i will not burn my FL real estate brokerage license for anyone or anything! i worked too hard for it. how many hours of classes and how much money do domain resellers expend in order to "sell" domains? because i have been through a heck of a lot of class time and spend thousands to be an active real estate broker in my market areas. this situation would qualify as a pretty stupid and pathetic move on my part and would burn my license. sorry folks, that is just not happening.

i am not asking for monetary compensation. i am simply asking for the speedy return of my CQD.com domain so my emails can roll in and out again and my web site is present with that url.
I'm not sure what you might have. I believe this could help others understand and provide help or guidance.

It's up to you. If you don't want to upload, then that's okay too.

•••
you hit a quail? how did you hit a quail? they live in the woods...they flush out during trail rides. i don't see them on roadways...but anyway.

specifically, what proof do you think you need me to provide you, who i don't know, to prove i did not partake or authorize in the sale of my domain for way less than i had it advertised on afternigc of 2 years, anyway? what we have here is:
The reversed responsibility response – switching the burden of proof. SOoooo how about the buyer prove i did this? and i mean PROVE.
and thanks for the condolences on my horse. it is posted on my personal Facebook page. it's real.
It's not to prove anything about you. It could validate facts. So far, not much is validated except that you are really pissed, upset, etc.

•••
There are actually many honest people in this business. I have never once thought about looking at the emails that I forward to the former owner of my domain.

I use automatic email forwarding, so I don't even get to see the incoming emails.

But of course, everything is built on trust.
....and why would i trust at this point?

•••
It's not to prove anything about you. It could validate facts. So far, not much is validated except that you are really pissed, upset, etc.
which one most interests you all? i think the cancelled escrow.com at 19k is most interesting to me.

•••
This is not the first time with escrow. They don’t take responsibility after the transaction is done.
The best way to purchase high value domains is through register action like godaddy or with sedo

•••
This is not the first time with escrow. They don’t take responsibility after the transaction is done.
The best way to purchase high value domains is through register action like godaddy or with sedo
or the real owner with an attorney, notary, proof if ID, and of course the good old blue ink signature made in front of that attorney or notary. especially in this price point (the price paid and the price advertised for over 2 years of 150k). it's not small claims court.

Last edited:
•••
which one most interests you all? i think the cancelled escrow.com at 19k is most interesting to me.
If you have anything that would validate anything. Right now, we know that you control comquestdesigns.com and that it was interestingly enough registered just before all this started happening in March of 2017.

•••
Nameservers were changed

Sale 1: Mr Han changed the nameservers to DNS.com
Sale 2: James changed nameservers to parkingcrew and now pointing to wixdns

I do not believe anyone of the buyers was trying to hide the sale or transfer.

Show attachment 83083
this is extremely interesting to me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back