IT.COM

discuss [Resolved] Domainer Loses $26k On A Stolen Domain!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Darn! Another scam and this time it is an experienced domainer James Booth.

James must have thought he was making a sound acquisition as he transferred approximately 26k to escrow for CQD.com. Instead, after completing the escrow, the domain was taken from his account by the registrar without notification and returned to the "true" owner.

Turns out the person that sold him the domain CQD.com, may not have been the true owner.

Apparently this incident involves several parties including the registrar and the escrow.

Thanks to Theo over at DomainGang for the tip on this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the 19k cancelled escrow.com shot? (CANCELLED Oct. 29 2017)

While this screenshot may be useful for some historical or educational purposes, it appears that it has nothing to do with the most recent transaction you'd like to be reversed. It is about another transaction which in fact was reversed last year. As the result, the domain was returned to NetSol and to your company name as the owner. There is enough evidence of the above in this thread.

So, technically speaking, if the domain was stolen then you should not claim that it is "stolen personal property", as it is stolen business property then. Which would make the legal things more complicated due to the LLC being closed/dissolved/inactive/whatever and so it is not necessary able to own anything or be a party in a lawsuit (this was also discussed a few pages before).

OK, website cached - it might be the case. Email delivery would be simply impossible with DNS changed. Did you notice it? Also, since the 19K screenshot, as you posted now, says that the sale was canceled Oct 29th - so you saw this date from the very beginning - why did you refer to it in connection with the recent events? Makes little sense

Last edited:
•••
@spoiltrider so what actions have you taken now to secure your domain back, has network solutions put a registry lock pending legal outcome, have you hired a domain attorney, or you are just going to banter about it on namepros? Just curious

•••
Also, since the 19K screenshot, as you posted now, says that the sale was canceled Oct 29th - so you saw this date from the very beginning - why did you refer to it in connection with the recent events? Makes little sense
If I was her, I would have assumed and believed that Booth and Han were all the same thief, operating under aliases to steal my domain name. Don't forget that she has limited understanding of how domain names and their sales work.

All she knows is that this is the second time her domain was taken from her without consent.

•••
Are you sure addison?
All i know is she came on here slandering people including namepros with no proof. Just long winded sympathy stories. What if she is han?
Booth would probably forwarded all her mail till she did the ripoff report thing and spewed all over the net his name is stolen

•••
If I was her, I would have assumed and believed that Booth and Han were all the same thief, operating under aliases to steal my domain name. Don't forget that she has limited understanding of how domain names and their sales work.

All she knows is that this is the second time her domain was taken from her without consent.
I agree there is no basis to come on namepros, and make all these rants, and raves, people only do it out of frustration. At the end of the day, this lady is going to have to enter a court of law, with representation, and provide all her years of invoices, and receipts, and correspondence, and witnesses that associate her with that domain. The good thing she has going for her Web.com is HQ out of FL, as is she. Hopefully this will come to some resolve, but there can only really be one winner in such a case, that is a very expensive piece of pie to eat for the loser. I think once she starts litigation the buyer might just hand over the domain, otherwise they are going to spend an equal amount on attorney fees.

•••
Are you sure addison?
All i know is she came on here slandering people including namepros with no proof. Just long winded sympathy stories. What if she is han?
Booth would probably forwarded all her mail till she did the ripoff report thing and spewed all over the net his name is stolen
You have to understand this lady is not a domainer, the slander is probably second nature by frustration. I mean if you ran a business with limited knowledge of domains, and all this hit you, and everyone including escrow, netsol, turned their back on you, how would you react. All you have to ask yourself, what does this person have to gain in a rant by coming to namepros, they can say anything they want online, but until they walk into a courtroom with their lawyer, nothing will change.

Last edited:
•••
Sorry, not believing her story.
We have seen a lot on here, she needs to prove her allegations or i am sure more than 1 person is not buying it.

•••
Sorry, not believing her story.
We have seen a lot on here, she needs to prove her allegations or i am sure more than 1 person is not buying it.
It's not up to her to prove it to us, she needs to prove it in the proper venue, a courtroom.

I would agree with you, but then I have to ask myself what does she have to gain by coming here, and bantering to a bunch of domainers, sympathy will not get her domain back.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe she sold it with the intention of claiming it was stolen to get it back?
Has she proven beyond a doubt she didnt sell it?
19k screenshot from escrow
Maybe she is the thief

•••
Show attachment 83038

I will add one thing from my experience dealing with clients.

A client that has not done anything wrong traditionally communicates in a few sentences. A client that is practicing deceit usually responds with overly lengthy explanations and a history not asked for in the case.

I am not implying this is always the case but in my years of experience running numerous businesses I have found this to be a trend when cases of fraud were presented to me. I traditionally investigated the people leaving overly lengthy explanations much further than the people answering short, direct and to the point. Anyone who has nothing to hide does not need to be overly defensive.

Does it apply in this case?
I will let everyone else judge that for themselves.
Very intelligent comment Maple ty

•••
Unless one of the parties is an attorney or being advised by an attorney.

Our thinking is shaped, altered in law school and afterwards and we are never quite the same. And anyone being advised by us might be equally terse as far as public statements regarding any ongoing dispute or litigation.

Last edited:
•••
While this screenshot may be useful for some historical or educational purposes, it appears that it has nothing to do with the most recent transaction you'd like to be reversed. It is about another transaction which in fact was reversed last year. As the result, the domain was returned to NetSol and to your company name as the owner. There is enough evidence of the above in this thread.

So, technically speaking, if the domain was stolen then you should not claim that it is "stolen personal property", as it is stolen business property then. Which would make the legal things more complicated due to the LLC being closed/dissolved/inactive/whatever and so it is not necessary able to own anything or be a party in a lawsuit (this was also discussed a few pages before).

OK, website cached - it might be the case. Email delivery would be simply impossible with DNS changed. Did you notice it? Also, since the 19K screenshot, as you posted now, says that the sale was canceled Oct 29th - so you saw this date from the very beginning - why did you refer to it in connection with the recent events? Makes little sense
Has a screenshot been uploaded?

•••
Maybe she is the thief

More likely she simply wanted to post "do not buy" warning in all relevant places. Which in this particular thread worked for this purpose, as at least some potential buyers are indeed members here.

In fact this thread is very useful by itself (educational). I for example do not like or dislike neither the current owner nor previous owner, never dealt with either of them, so no personal interest in the case outcome (in fact the only thing current owners whois reminded me of was a namejet shill bidding thread of last year with "shillbrothers" tags, which ended nowhere, not too relevant connection). So nobody is taking sides here. It would be indeed interesting to make sure that @spoiltrider is in fact Rebecca the previous owner.

Last edited:
•••
If my domain had been stolen and I had recovered it, after that I would take every possible step to prevent it being stolen again and keep a close watch on it just in case someone tried to take it. I would not want to let my domain get stolen a second time.

•••
The only way to know is to call and go to Florida to confirm. Maybe she is real, or fake, and maybe she is the serial seller and then reports it stolen and sells it again. Because again, all those theft hides the email and contact by using email@thedomainitself. Therefore there is no way to know who the real email owner is, it is done on purpose. To hide from the public!

I am sure, escrow service, NS, maybe James, and definitely Namepros may know something.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I’m thinking that it was taken from her once and until now the process hasn’t included her being contacted or affected (such as by nameserver changes).

Yes, it’s hard to imagine someone not being so vigilant as to not notice - say - that a credit card had been swiped from your wallet but if you didn’t use that card and don’t really look at the bill or open your mail it might be a while before you found out. To use an allegory I mean for what might’ve happened here.

Did you read this?
https://www.namepros.com/threads/do...ue-to-registrar-went-out-of-business.1006179/
Those guys lost their domain four years prior and did nothing until I changed name servers on them.

Last edited:
•••
If anyone wants to find out here is the original owners # 1 352-870-5272

•••
She'd better ask forum mods to assist with establishing connection between spoiltrider username and business name Com Quest Designs. Never thought of how it works or supposed to work. Indeed, a phone call may be a method, but from some member of NP staff?

Last edited:
•••
Also, the Han guy said that he 'returned' the domain. It is not clear how he did it but I think that's somehow connected to Escrow contacting her and that's why she might have the 19k receipt screenshot or something. Otherwise, I don't think Escrow would provide her with anything on their own so easily. And if they still processed the same domain again with all the prior knowledge, kudos to them.

•••
•••
•••
March 2017 - Rebecca aka CQD owner aka @spoiltrider for no apparent reason, registers the domain ComquestDesigns.com as an alternative to CQD.com.

September/October 2017 - Mr. Han buys the domain but returns the domain to the seller. Lost money with Escrow.com

December/January 2018 - @BoothDomains buys the domain and the rest is history.

Crazy stuff. No proof of anything from anyone. Too bad.

And now Rebecca sounds matter-of-factly and doesn't seem to be as "hot" about this at all.

•••
•••
I know one fact....

The owner of CQD.com is the person on the whois. And that is James Booth. Period.

Until anyone, proves anything, this is the property of James Booth.

End of story.

P.S. The domain is still at Network Solutions. Even that place is sticking with James.

screencapture-whois-whois-cqd-com-2018-03-15-13_52_47.png

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back