IT.COM

discuss Reserve price on auctions - Yes/No ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NinoMNE

Established Member
Impact
I am curios what you prefer when list domain on auctions:

1) to put reserve price

2) not to put reserve price

What are pros and cons of reserve price ?
When you dont have reserve price you should probably have more bids, but also is risk that you have only few bids and sell domain for 10 $ ? How you determine that risk without making mistake ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I thought in general...Godaddy, Sedo, Flippa...

•••
As a side note: on Godaddy, the reserve it paid (a few bucks), on Flippa it is free.

•••
I tend to get better results with no reserve with $1 start, but it truly depends on the name if I'm not comfortable to sell it for whatever it gets to I usually don't list it as such.

•••
On Godaddy is 5e if you want reserve price, yes....Without reserve you can get more bids and your name can be at "Most active" page, thats one of the pros....but also can be without bids and to sell in much lower price than expected...Is that much depend because of name, if you have solid name will you put reserve or not ?

•••
I am curios what you prefer when list domain on auctions:

1) to put reserve price

2) not to put reserve price

What are pros and cons of reserve price ?
When you dont have reserve price you should probably have more bids, but also is risk that you have only few bids and sell domain for 10 $ ? How you determine that risk without making mistake ?

listing or sending a domain to auction, has differences.

when "listing" a domain in an auction, (which basically is a liquidation sale) the seller should have option to either set a reserve price or not.
one sets reserve depending on the domain, expected volume of attendee's, and probability that the domain will sell at, or above perceived market value.

when "sending" a domain to auction, the current bid or offer is the reserve, and is typically the base price (minimum amount) that the seller would accept for the domain.

the best way to minimize risk, is to set a reserve price.

personally, I have never to "listed" any domains for auction without a reserve, and i've only "sent" domains to auction, after receiving a satisfactory bid prior to.

imo...

•••
Depends on the domain IMO.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back