IT.COM

opinion Disclosing reserve prices .

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Why do people PM me ,asking how much the reserve price is on a domain listing ?
What is the purpose of setting a reserve price ?
If bidders know the reserve ,they might stop bidding ..
Am I expected to tell those people or put the reserve price on my listing ?
And then the ask me "" only tell me ,I wont tell anybody else "
I tell them that even if i would tell him,that would not be fair for other bidders .
I am an honest person with anything I do .

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You have answered by yourself - If bidders know the reserve ,they might stop bidding ..

•••
I think people ask because they do not want to waste time by bidding for something they can not afford.

•••
The purpose of setting a reserve price is to prevent an auction from been won at a price that is lower than what the seller will accept.

•••
Jen ,i know my friend ....but why are bidders keep asking me what the reserve is via PM

•••
One can not have a reserve on an auction on NP.

•••
•••
I was advised for one of the few occasions I've tried to auction a domain at flippa, not to disclose the reserve price, because it was an incentive for potential bidders to stop bidding (in the case of a fair reserve price). If they don't know the reserve, they continue to bid, hoping to reach the reserve. Of course, it's annoying for bidders who bid the minimum increment hoping to hit the reserve. But those buyers aren't really the ones that matter, to me. I wouldn't disclose the reserve, IMHO.

•••
I was advised for one of the few occasions I've tried to auction a domain at flippa, not to disclose the reserve price, because it was an incentive for potential bidders to stop bidding (in the case of a fair reserve price). If they don't know the reserve, they continue to bid, hoping to reach the reserve. Of course, it's annoying for bidders who bid the minimum increment hoping to hit the reserve. But those buyers aren't really the ones that matter, to me. I wouldn't disclose the reserve, IMHO.
Well said, and it is also a way for the seller to see what buyers are willing to pay without the name being sold for less than they think.

•••
Honestly I don't like the reserve as a buyer because I feel it wastes my time. If I want to buy a domain and know what the reserve is I wouldn't have to waste my time checking the auction constantly if the reserve was to high. Like today, I was on flippa and wanted to buy a domain which I wouldn't pay more than 1500 (my bid), ended up asking the seller the reserve and he told me 4000. If he didn't disclose this info to me I would waste tons of time waiting to see if the auction will hit reserve. In the end it never did, not even half way.
As a seller, I do like it of course. So in the end you just have to live with it. Just wish more people would disclose it when asked.

I think most bidders have a price limit set before going into an auction so reserve is useless. It won't make me continue on bidding if it goes over my limit but hasn't hit reserve. I've noticed auctions with no reserve actually get more bidders and usually sell higher than auctions with reserve.

•••
Honestly I don't like the reserve as a buyer because I feel it wastes my time. If I want to buy a domain and know what the reserve is I wouldn't have to waste my time checking the auction constantly if the reserve was to high. Like today, I was on flippa and wanted to buy a domain which I wouldn't pay more than 1500 (my bid), ended up asking the seller the reserve and he told me 4000. If he didn't disclose this info to me I would waste tons of time waiting to see if the auction will hit reserve. In the end it never did, not even half way.
As a seller, I do like it of course. So in the end you just have to live with it. Just wish more people would disclose it when asked.
Agreed, I wouldn't expect a seller to publicly disclose, but if asked privately then it should be.

•••
Tytus said:
I've noticed auctions with no reserve actually get more bidders and usually sell higher than auctions with reserve.

That has more to do with the psychology of the reserve price itself, than whether it has a reserve. IMHO.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back