IT.COM

Report endusers backing out of committed deal! - Version 2.0

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Should purchasers who back out of a deal be publicly shamed?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I do not need some make believe entity to be with me - I have ethics remember......

Try and lay of personally attacking people who do not agree with you, it's not a good look

Before telling me what to do, you should learn how professionalism and ethical business dealings work.

It doesn't work with you or anyone else committing to something (read: legally binding as well) and than walking away as if nothing had happened.

And there were no personal attacks, but if you think there were any, that's your problem, not mine!

•••
Sounds like you're having a bad day/week...... might be a good time to step away from the computer and enjoy the outdoors for a bit, or whatever it is that gives you peace. Making decisions based on emotions is usually not a wise route.

Sales fall through all the time. It's frustrating but it's just part of the business. If you can't handle it, set all your domains to BIN only and don't accept offers.

Looks like you need to think about taking your own advice seriously. ;)

•••

There is the original topic

https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-endusers-backing-out-of-committed-deal.1115416/

Closed by the Mods on namepros for obvious privacy reasons.

Without disclosing any personal details of anyone lets discuss the topic itself and get some feedback from current members.
I would say you either have offer/acceptance or you don't. If you have offer/acceptance you could claim the prize through the legal system which would involve public disclosure. Not sure about the court of NamePros :D

•••
When we say unethical, it must be applicable to both parties, right? When we enter into a deal it is legally binding on both parties. Doesn't matter if price is a steal or way above than justified one, once agreed, it is a deal. We can't leave everything merely at the helm of registrars/platforms, as these are too busy with their other money making deals. Defaulters must be sent a message-clear and loud that they aren't a good fit. I'll even say that why buyers, sellers who back out after a deal must also be reported in public so that people who take this business very seriously and put everything to make their bread and butter must be warned that these are the people you must be aware while making a deal.

Recently I won a domain at Flippa in an auction, which I thought was a steal from my point of view and later on seller backed out. Despite my repeated requests to the seller and Flippa, nothing happened. It is disgusting as your hard work goes in vain.

Few people will say that it is not a good practice to reveal the details of the defaulters in public and they could have some personal issues for backing out. But I don't agree. First we are just letting the domaining world know about defaulters and second in case of personal issue, let the defaulter intimate about it in short.
Just my two cents!

Last edited:
•••
I think it all depends on the intention and awareness of the other side.

An occasional end user may not understand the deal terms and consequences in their complete entireness the same way as the experienced domain investor does. He is likely to deal with domain name buying for the first time, so the acquisition process and his liability may seem somewhat abstract to him.

A domain investor is typically aware of the rules and the public perception. So when knowingly breaking the deal contract, he might be reported to warn others regarding his unacceptable practices. I would personally exclude the case though when the owner forgets to remove the BIN marketplace listing - we are all human beings making errors from time to time.

At the same time, I think that reporting a one-time buyer from the outsides of the domaining industry makes no sense and looks more like a revenge.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not questioning your experience. How you deal with non-payers is your business. I'm just sharing my thoughts on the matter. For me it's counter intuitive to send a threatening email if the desired effect is to get the deal over the line. Like I said, people generally don't respond well to threats and that's down to human nature.
The "deals" are those where price has been negotiated and agreed, invariably at Sedo where "buyers" are contractually obliged and then not completed and no way in this world are they coming back to do a deal again. I do not a problem warning others of these type of people, and as I said it is not as if they are not given a chance to explain before name and shame is actioned.

•••
I would say in my case 2 or 3 out of 10 end-users back out of deals after promising to buy. Yes, it is frustrating, but I don't think any body should be exposed for this. I just move on to the next potential buyer.

•••
I understand we sellers maybe upset whenever it happens, however, IMHO doing so may do more harm to the industry - we can handle it professionally and take a long-term perspective, it'll be better for all of us. All the best in 2019.

•••
But that for the other thread, which closed now? For posting contact info of people whom we should consider NOT to waste time dealing with? Because they made commitments for purchase, and then reneged?

Still with Soofi on this. But not on a thread where we can bicker back and forth whether or not its ok to alert us of those whom think it's ok to break promises. It is not ok, and it is never ok. I don't care what your excuse is. The only acceptable reason is the one you're willing to accept from the person who broke it, not from "opinions".

Thank you for saying it out loud, what is right and should be done!

•••
Voted for other. There may be a reason I would understand (death in family, recent bankruptcy, potential TM conflict no one found about by now, etc.)

•••
When the original topic to this was opened I kind of figured it would get closed because it contained the personal information of a couple of people.

When the mod closed the topic I sent a PM asking him if he would reconsider because I thought the topic had merit as a member discussion.

To the mods credit he suggested I could open to a new topic if the personal information was not posted again.

As one can see from the votes, and all the comments, this is definitely a topic that has opinions both ways.
It is very easy to swing one way or another depending on whose comments one reads.

It's certainly one of the topics I check back in on because I don't think there will ever be a totally cut and dry solution to this problem.

That is why I voted OTHER and I think each case needs to be taken on its own merits.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
I have named and shamed a number "buyers" over the years, I have no hesitation in doing so.

I do however tell them what I am going to do and where I will be posting and give them the opportunity to give me good reason why I should not do it. And no, not once did I get a response.

I do think giving people time and then full-disclosure notice is good. Its complete transparency and it gives them the ability to rebutt before anything is posted.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back