IT.COM

Removing Domains from Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BrandCougar

Top Member
Impact
Hi Everyone,

I recently was surprised when I received a notice from BrandBucket indicating that several of my published domains had been listed on the Afternic marketplace. I never added them there. Apparently the prior owner had added them and never removed the listings.

I submitted a service request 2 days ago to Afternic with no response or action taken yet by Afternic.

Unfortunately, I am no longer in contact with the person I purchased the domains.

A couple quick questions and appreciate your insight.

1) What is the most efficient way to get domains removed from the Afternic marketplace (that were listed previously by a prior owner)?

2) What is the typical timeline for domains to be removed? Meaning, how long does Afternic typically take to remove domains from the time you submit a request?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I always send them an email and they respond after 4-5 days or don't respond at all.

•••
they may mean the parking end of it,I have a tons of domains at parking crew that are still registered. and apparently all you have to do is submit the domain into your account and without investigation the old owner has to prove to get it back into their account. So as far as afternic they really suck and don't update their site ,basically the company is just throw a bunch of shit on the wall and hope it sticks

Last edited:
•••
In my experience with them, Usually they respond & act within a couple of days.

•••
afternic is godaddy ,same employees,sanme office

•••
@xeroox @ben pedri @MS-Domains --- Thanks for the prompt responses!

So it's not uncommon to submit and not receive acknowledgement or action within the 1st 2-4 days.

Thanks. I will give them 4 days, before re-submitting my request or taking additional action..

Curious, if I don't receive a response (or removal) within 5 days, what would you recommend I do next to get them removed?

Last edited:
•••
@xeroox @ben pedri @MS-Domains --- Thanks for the prompt responses!

So it's not uncommon to submit and not receive acknowledgement or action within the 1st 2-4 days.

Thanks. I will give them 4 days, before re-submitting my request or taking additional action..

Curious, if I don't receive a response (or removal) within 5 days, what would you recommend I do next to get them removed?
I usually send another email and pray, i don't think there is another way to remove a listed domain

•••
same thing happened to me on a few names,

if you call and talk to someone they will take the name off in a few seconds - IMO

•••
Hi Everyone,

I recently was surprised when I received a notice from BrandBucket indicating that several of my published domains had been listed on the Afternic marketplace. I never added them there. Apparently the prior owner had added them and never removed the listings.

I submitted a service request 2 days ago to Afternic with no response or action taken yet by Afternic.

Unfortunately, I am no longer in contact with the person I purchased the domains.

A couple quick questions and appreciate your insight.

1) What is the most efficient way to get domains removed from the Afternic marketplace (that were listed previously by a prior owner)?

2) What is the typical timeline for domains to be removed? Meaning, how long does Afternic typically take to remove domains from the time you submit a request?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

I'm surprised BB did that, never had it happen to me. I think Afternic will ask for proof of ownership before removal. They are slow via email. Sometimes they don't even respond at all.

•••
I just received an auto-email from Afternic today, telling me to authorize my domain that had just been added to their Premium Network. This is a name I bought some weeks ago on GD closeouts, and I most definitely had not added it to my Afternic listings.

It's showing now on Afternic with a very low BIN price (put there by the previous owner), and I really hope no-one tries to buy it. Although I have not authorized this listing, and the name is "safely" in my GD account, I don't really trust this situation not to blow up on me if someone hits that BIN button...

I have emailed Afternic just now and will post back here how long it takes for this name to be removed.

•••
@xeroox - Thanks for the additional help. I initially submitted my REMOVE request via their site's Support Web Form, but will try the email route as my Phase 2 approach.

@urlurl - Thanks for letting me know they have a phone route, which if the email route doesn't work, I will try as Phase 3. Though I have to admit, the phone route is more direct and sounds like it also provides a more immediate response. I will try the other routes initially to see if those avenues work, if not then I'll make the call.

@creataweb - Thanks. Good point about needing "proof of ownership". It will be interesting to see what "proof" they will request. I will report back what they request (if they do).

@canswift - Thanks for your post. I find it a bit annoying that prior owners list these names on Afternic, but Afternic doesn't have some sort of timeout (auto-removal) on an annual basis. A couple of the names that BB identified had been listed by the prior owner a couple years ago. I had purchased the names last fall. If the (non-authorized) name is sold on Afternic, what happens in that situation? Do they auto-transfer without your consent?

For Reference (Domain Removal Avenues):

Web Form route: https://www.afternic.com/contact-afternic
Email route: [email protected]
Phone route: 866-351-9586 (US) or 781-839-7990 (worldwide)

Customer Service Hours (ref: FAQ Contact Assistance page):

"Customer service team Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. EST"

Last edited:
•••
Update: this time it took them only 8 days to reply and remove the domain :xf.wink:

•••
Go into your control panel, and change listed to hidden. That way if you take them down from BB they are still in afternic control panel, but not showing for sale. System updates at midnight eastern time zone

•••
@xeroox - Thanks for your Update post. 8 days - Holy Crap!!

My status - I am 4 days since submitting my removal request to Afternic with NO RESPONSE. No email acknowledgement of the request, no communication, no deletion, no action period!

I will keep you updated.

@MasterOfMyDomains - Thanks for your post. Good point and a great suggestion for those who have an Afternic account, however, my situation is that I don't have an Afternic and it was the prior owner of the domains that had listed them a few years ago. So not only do I not have an account with them (Afternic), I currently own names that some other person who now no longer owns the domains has them listing on the site (dead listing).

Other potential problems:

1) I am curious... what happens if one of the domains actually sells on Afternic that is listed by a prior owner that no longer owns the domain? Anyone?

2) Also, does Afternic verify ownership prior to auto-transferring the domains? (especially concerning if the individual who has the domain listed no longer owns the domain)

•••
•••
The method described by @MasterOfMyDomains would only seem to work if the name in question was in one's Afternic account, and then you could make it "hidden" until it was sorted. Although I have an Afternic account, the name I am concerned about is not showing in my account.

However, it IS showing on Afternic, with a very low BIN price and I have received the GD email requesting ME to authorize this name for the Premium Network. This is clearly a legacy issue from the previous owner, even though I've owned the name for a few weeks now. I have yet to hear back from Afternic about removing it (I emailed them on Sunday).

•••
Hi @Joe Styler -

I am trying to better understand how Afternic's marketplace operates and was referred to you as a resource.

As per my Original Post, I am trying to remove domains from Afternic that were listed by the prior domain owner a couple years ago.

I have received great feedback from several NP members, but a couple questions remain.

1) What happens if one of the domains actually sells on Afternic that is a live listing that was listed by a prior owner that no longer owns the domain?

2) Does Afternic verify ownership prior to auto-transferring the domains at the time of the sale? (verifying at the time of the listing appears to be fruitless - especially concerning if the individual who has the domain listed on Afternic no longer owns the domain at the time of the sale)

Thank you in advance for any insight you could provide.

•••
@canswift - We appear to have a similar situation ( tho you with an Afternic account, me without ).

Our common situation is that a prior owner listed a domain on Afternic, no longer owns the domain, we do and would like it removed from the marketplace.

Please keep us posted this thread with how your situation transpires and I will also keep you updated on how my rodeo plays out. (thanks)

•••
Being in the West I like the idea of a good rodeo. I don't like hearing that you or anyone else is not getting an answer from support here. We have a pretty good team and they wouldn't not answer any incoming emails that is monitored. If anyone has any examples of emailing us and not getting an answer please PM me a copy of the email. I would also like to see the address it was emailed to. I can look into that and make sure something is not broken.
We have been a bit slower in responding in the last few weeks but that was resolved by hiring more staff and at no time would it have been anywhere near 8 days it would be 3 maybe 4 in worst case rather than 1-2 and most were still answered in the 1-2 day time frame.
As far as your questions.
1. If one of your domains sold on Afternic and you did not list it for sale there really isn't a way for us to give it to the buyer right? The name is not listed in your account as you said so we wouldn't have a way to fulfill the sale because the seller is not the owner. So we would say to the seller move the domain - they would say I can't and we would say ok then you are in trouble we are taking action against you for failure to fulfill a sale. This would not impact you as the current owner.
2. Yes - two ways depending on how the domain name is listed for sale. We cannot auto transfer a domain when it sells unless the current registrar contacts the current owner and asks them if it is ok to move the domain when the domain name sells. You would have had to have agreed to that email from your registrar saying you wanted to sell the domain on Afternic at X price and that you are ok with them automatically moving the domain when it sells. I am assuming you did not agree to this in which case we have no way to automatically move your domain if it sells.

•••
@BrandCougar , I've never had an issue having the listing removed by using the 1866 number you showed. You will get a live rep, he will verify the domain is no longer owned by the listee, and remove it promptly. Don't know if you live in U.S/Canada or not, but it is definitely the quickest route.

•••
We have been a bit slower in responding in the last few weeks but that was resolved by hiring more staff and at no time would it have been anywhere near 8 days it would be 3 maybe 4 in worst case rather than 1-2 and most were still answered in the 1-2 day time frame.
As far as your questions.
Copy pasted the email that i received today 3/27
Dear NAME,
Thank you for reaching out to us for assistance. These domains have been removed from our system, so you should now be able them add it to your account.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Lisa
Aftermarket Support

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 3/19/2018 11:26 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Afternic Contact Us

Department: sales

Customer Name:

Email: my email

Domain Name:
Customer Phone:

Comments:

I'm the new owner of these domains. Can you move them to my account
ref:_00DG0i0kS._5001L19jU0H:ref

Another one here that i replied and the timeframe was 3/9-->3/15-->3/21

Dear NAME,

Thank you for reaching out to us for assistance. The domain has been removed from our system, you should now be able to add it to your account. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Kyle H.
Afternic Support

Sent: 3/15/2018 9:25 AM
Subject: Re: Afternic Contact Us [ ]

Hello, thanks for the reply but i'm the new owner. I have it in my
dynadot account with another domain both
listed in my afternic account. Is there other way that i can verify my
identity?

Il 15/03/2018 17:11, Afternic-Service ha scritto:

Hello,

We are not able to remove the listing, as it does not appear that you own the domain name.

Regards,

Vaclav R.
Afternic Support Group
[email protected]
866-351-9586
---------------------------
Domain Name:
Registry Domain ID: D38812932-US
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.dynadot.com
Registrar URL: www.dynadot.com
Updated Date: 2018-03-12T19:49:22Z
Creation Date: 2013-01-09T19:01:56Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-01-08T23:59:59Z
Registrar: Dynadot LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 472
Registrar Abuse Contact Email:
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: C9D3A713067F3476EBD09709985E14558-NSR
Registrant Name:
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street:
Registrant Street:
Registrant Street:
Registrant City:
Registrant State/Province:
Registrant Postal Code:
Registrant Country:
Registrant Phone:
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email:
Sent: 3/9/2018 1:08 PM
Subject: Afternic Contact Us

Department: client_services

Customer Name:

Email:

Domain Name:

Customer Phone:

Comments:

The domain is in my possession now but i can't list it because is
already listed from the previous owner. Can you move it to my account Thanks

Regards,

Vaclav R.
Afternic Support

ref:_00DG0i0kS._5001L19iQzD:ref
*blanked some info

•••
I prefer you pm me the emails as I cannot do anything with the emails you posted. I can't see for instance your email address or the dates or the domain etc anything I could use to locate the email thread. I need that to investigate what happened. The only info I can use to search that is still in tact is To: [email protected]
Subject: Afternic Contact Us which would yield thousands of results in the time frame you provided and I would have no way to further narrow it down.

•••
Quick Update:

Good news.

- I received an email from Afternic today indicating ALL 22 of the domains that I requested they REMOVE were removed today (Tuesday, March 27th).

- To confirm, I went to the Afternic site and confirmed ALL 22 were no longer listed. THANK YOU!!

- My request had been submitted via the Afternic Web Form route I mentioned in my earlier post. 4 calendar days (2 business days when excluding the 2 weekend days). From my perspective, 2 days is a reasonable time. My only request would have been that they sent an auto-email confirmation when I had 1st submitted the request acknowledging they received my request.

- After receiving BrandBucket's original email request to remove the Afternic pages, I created a spreadsheet of all my domains and created an Afternic link for each domain. I then clicked on each link to test if there happen to be other domains that I now own that were (unbeknownst to me) listed on their site. I'll be damned, I found another 64 domains listed without my knowledge. On Monday 26th I submitted a new request asking for those 64 domains to be REMOVED.

I will let you know when the newly found lot of 64 are removed.

•••
@Joe Styler -

Thank you for your prompt response.

I HIGHLY respect your take charge approach. Refreshing and highly professional

As important and much appreciated, you directly answered my 2 questions - clearly and to the point. Thank you!!! While reading your answer, you 100% tabled the concerns I raised and examples you provided were concise to my request.

Additionally, your mentioning that a 3-4 day window is spot on to what my OP experience resulted.

As a 1st time user through the removal request process, I had used the Afternic site's Web Form avenue and as mentioned in my above most recent post (Share # 23), I had successful action taken today.

Going forward I will use the email or phone approach as mentioned by others as it appears they have had faster response times via those avenues, versus the Web Form avenue. (and as you pointed out Joe - had I used the email route, I would have had a timestamped reference for tracking purposes to share with you) Excellent suggestion! Point taken.

@HotKey - a shout out to say thanks for your suggestion!

Overall, I learned much through this dialogue and appreciate everyone's feedback and insightful posts.

Thank You.

-John

ps: Joe - Great lead in with the "I like a good rodeo". And a great way to set a relaxing tone to your response. Well done. :xf.smile: Being from the North East, my one experience at a rodeo was... well.. quite interesting. As a kid (seems like 100 years ago) I was visiting my father's side of the family in the south and attended a rodeo in Arkansas. The sweet smell of a 95 humid day and baked cow shi* providing depth to the air! Dust everywhere and a tin can of beer in everyone's hand above 16 years of age. Being from the North East, this was quite the event to watch for my 1st time attending as a 10 year old youngster (a Damn Yankee as my southern cousins referred). Well about 1/2 way through the event, some guy named DALE got thrown from his bull, glove hand caught in the strap and the bull... well the horns of the bull did job on the guy's guts as he hung off the side of the critter... we were in the 3rd row from the performance... at 10 years old... to this day I remember this cowboy's name... and the silence of the crowd after his skinny tart of a girlfriend 2 rows behind us screamed / screeched "OH DALE!" (shi* - horror - and Dale - all I remember - and clowns being hero's that day - saving that boys life)

Last edited:
•••

Quick Update:

Good news.

- I received an email from Afternic today indicating ALL 64 of the 2nd batch of domains that I requested they REMOVE were removed today (Wednesday, March 28th).

- I went to the Afternic site and confirmed ALL 64 were no longer listed.

- RESPONSE TIME: 2 business days. (consistent with my 1st batch of 22 domains mentioned above)

So my recommendation is using the Phone avenue as that appears to be the quickest and most efficient method for getting domains removed.

If you happen to use the site's Web Form approach, expect 2+ business days for the domains to be removed. Once they complete the removals, they send a summary email to you as confirmation they have done so.

I hope the info is helpful.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back