NameSilo

Regrettable purchases...

Labeled as discuss in Domain Buying and Selling Discussion started by whenpillarsfall, Feb 11, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. whenpillarsfall

whenpillarsfall Established Member

What's the worst purchase you've ever made? We've all been there, you spot an interesting domain in the final minutes of its auction, and before you know it you're in a bidding war and you care more about winning than the actual domain.

I'm usually quite careful and simply don't bid on something until I've thought about it for a couple of days and done my research.

However, I once bought toppu.com for about 300 bucks in an expiring auction. Certainly not a bad brandable, but not worth 300 dollars to a reseller. I didn't even particularly want it, I just didn't want to lose - a very dangerous mindset in an auction.

I did sell it in the end, but only for about a third of what I paid for it. I could have held it and maybe got more, but the very fact I owned it annoyed me! Indeed, it wasn't the money that made it painful it was knowing I'd acted so irrationally. Even if I'd sold it for profit I'd still have hated that domain.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Crypto King

Crypto King RFQ.com . Peculium.com . AngelLead.com . BVMI.com VIP

The first domain I ever bought was imgur.io. I registered it for 5 years and I still have it.

3. Vowel

Vowel Established Member

So whats the problem? Copyright?
    And how much u paid for it.

4. whenpillarsfall

Huge TM issue

5. canswift

canswift Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

At last, the whole story! I was following the auction for Toppu that you won. I lost interest after it went past my upper limit, around the $100 mark. I then saw your listing for the same name on NP, but you were asking less than I knew the auction had just sold it for. With most of the Whois info now being hidden, I didn't know who had won the auction or who was selling here. So I decided to steer clear, just in case.

Oh darn! I know that the usual wisdom is that when something seems too good to be true, it isn't. But in this case it seems it was!

6. whenpillarsfall

Yup, it was classic domaining error 101. Stumble across a closing auction with some bids and... Well you know the rest.

As I said, the domain's a perfectly good brandable, I just overpaid and didn't even really have an end user in mind. The guy that bought it off me in the end got a good deal and suspect he'll find a solid end user or even flip it for a small profit, but I just needed it out of my account :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  7. barman

barman Established Member

I won a domain at auction for $200 [word]skys.com and then I realized that's not how your pluralize sky (it's skies) 🤦‍♀️

8. urlurl

urlurl Active Member VIP

Nurish Food . com

spelled wrong, oops!

good thing i was only out $12

9. canswift

canswift Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Yes, I think do know the rest (some of it at least!). A couple of years ago I came upon a GD closeout, WeddingMusican.com , registered for around 14 years. I couldn't believe my luck as I knew this would be a highly searched field. Ca-ching, and I bought it.Then I finally got around to checking the spelling, and of course it was Musican, not Musician!

I was so annoyed with myself for this basic error that I immediately gave it away for free on NP. I just didn't want to see it in my account everyday...

10. BrandsOpen

BrandsOpen Established Member

I've handregged a handful of crappy names, but I'm glad I didn't pay much for those. Still have doubts whether $90 for MoneyMug/com was such a great idea or not. But there were quite a few bidders, and I probably got caught up in the "money".

I could sell mugs, but who else than Barry's ugly mug would buy them. Eventually, I'd probably get mugged off anyway.

[​IMG]

11. Raghav Nehra

Raghav Nehra Upgraded Member Blue Account

I am a huge fan of Roger Federer. So the first domain i bought for reselling was FedererPro.com (didnt know anything about domaining back then)

12. Bohdan

Bohdan Established Member

iphone7.red - was the one of my first domains. I didn't know much about domaining and I thought I'll sell it to some online shop.

13. 4better

4better Established Domainer VIP

I guess I'll have to remind myself always that thinking before acting is sanity but acting before thinking is insanity.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: