IT.COM

advice A domain I sold for £300 now has an almost $10000 offer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

alienbaba

Escaped AREA 51Established Member
Impact
So I sold a domain a while back for £300 on Dan.

I assume the buyer didn't change my details as whois request are coming to my email..

Got some emails saying someone was enquiring. Then they made an offer via domain agents and also emailed me directly offering almost $10,000.

I missed the emails as I don't check that email much & just saw today that multiple people had been making offers & I had about 5 emails this month..

I don't own the domain anymore so technically it's the new owner that has these offers but I am receiving the emails. Domain expires in about a month and I am hoping it doesnt get renewed so I can snipe it back and sell to the inquirer..

What would you do in this situation? Reach out to the new owner and try buy it back? Wait till expiry? Inform hot lead that I don't own it anymore? Tell new owner that they can get $10,000 for it?

Actually I can't even contact the new owner as I only have their name not email..

Also has it happened to any of you? Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Has happened to me a couple of times over the year

Repy to the offer email and tell them you dont own and can they forward the offer to the new owner. Do what you would expect someone to do if the roles were reversed :xf.smile:

•••
Has happened to me a couple of times over the year

Repy to the offer email and tell them you dont own and can they forward the offer to the new owner. Do what you would expect someone to do if the roles were reversed :xf.smile:

Yeah I'd consider it but there's no way for them or even me to reach the new owner as the owner left my details as the whois contact & all whois enquiries come directly to me..

Plus the domain is not developed and just has a nginx error page..

•••
It might be a scam to make you buy it back at increased price.

•••
Lol if I was buying it back it'd be at reg fee after it expires & there's no way I'd even buy it back as it's not listed on any marketplace..

I guess I'll just have to wait it out and hope it expires in a month..

Last edited:
•••

If offer is from domainagents then it seems a valid offer.

•••
If offer is from domainagents then it seems a valid offer.
I had never heard of domain agents and thought it might be a scam too, but I just did some research and they seem legit..

•••
So I sold a domain a while back for £300 on Dan.

I assume the buyer didn't change my details as whois request are coming to my email..

Got some emails saying someone was enquiring. Then they made an offer via domain agents and also emailed me directly offering almost $10,000.

I missed the emails as I don't check that email much & just saw today that multiple people had been making offers & I had about 5 emails this month..

I don't own the domain anymore so technically it's the new owner that has these offers but I am receiving the emails. Domain expires in about a month and I am hoping it doesnt get renewed so I can snipe it back and sell to the inquirer..

What would you do in this situation? Reach out to the new owner and try buy it back? Wait till expiry? Inform hot lead that I don't own it anymore? Tell new owner that they can get $10,000 for it?

Actually I can't even contact the new owner as I only have their name not email..

Also has it happened to any of you? Thanks.
If you have their name you can try linkedin… or since you sold it on Dan, ask Dan to forward a message to the buyer asking if you could buy it.

•••
DM me domain name I'm pretty tech savvy. See what I can find out.

•••
Yeah I'd consider it but there's no way for them or even me to reach the new owner as the owner left my details as the whois contact & all whois enquiries come directly to me..

Plus the domain is not developed and just has a nginx error page..

The offer came from somewhere and domain agents would have a way of contacting the buyer, how would they arrange the sale if they didnt.

•••
If you have their name you can try linkedin… or since you sold it on Dan, ask Dan to forward a message to the buyer asking if you could buy it.

Tried linkedin, directories, address search etc. Found a few matching names, but locations didn't match and others didn't fit the buyer persona.. Thanks I'll try ask Dan and see how it goes. If it comes to it, I'll send them a postal mail..

DM me domain name I'm pretty tech savvy. See what I can find out.

Lol sorry can't give it away. Nothing personal, just want to keep it private unless I manage to succeed in this quest..

The offer came from somewhere and domain agents would have a way of contacting the buyer, how would they arrange the sale if they didnt.

By buyer do you mean the new owner or the person enquiring?

If it's the person enquiring, I already have their email as they emailed me directly both before and after the domain agents offer. Sent to my email @withheldforprivacy.com.

If you mean the new owner, then I don't think domain agents would be able to contact them as when they were emailing the @withheldforprivacy.com email believing it was the current owner, it'd have gone to them not me which means I'm still showing up as the default contact for this name.

Last edited:
•••
Tried linkedin, directories, address search etc. Found a few matching names, but locations didn't match and others didn't fit the buyer persona.. Thanks I'll try ask Dan and see how it goes. If it comes to it, I'll send them a postal mail..

Lol sorry can't give it away. Nothing personal, just want to keep it private unless I manage to succeed in this quest..

If it's the person enquiring, I already have their email as they emailed me directly both before and after the domain agents offer. Sent to my email @withheldforprivacy.com.

If you mean the new owner, then I don't think domain agents would be able to contact them as when they were emailing the @withheldforprivacy.com email believing it was the current owner, it'd have gone to them not me which means I'm still showing up as the default contact for this name.

No worries, best of luck in your efforts

Last edited:
•••

No, the person inquiring, just tell them you dont own the domain anymore. Its really up to them to find out who owns the name now.

Last edited:
•••
Was in the situation last month, sold a domain for peanuts, since it was about to expire and i didn't want to keep it, sold it on auction for 150, 10days later got an offer for 1999.
So at least im not the only unlucky guy out here.
Keep us updated on this in curious

•••
Lol if I was buying it back it'd be at reg fee after it expires & there's no way I'd even buy it back as it's not listed on any marketplace..

I guess I'll just have to wait it out and hope it expires in a month..
You can't buy it immediately after the expiry!

•••
Yes, it happened to me too! And now the owner seems an end-user.

•••
First thought is why care what your names sells for next time. Second thought is if you cannot see the scam is designed for you to get greedy as you can buy that name back and then keep it at your new price.

Last edited:
•••
Old thread. The name should be in redemption period by now, or renewed.

When was the last time you had to update whois contact details manually when a name transferred to your account?

•••

When was the last time you had to update whois contact details manually when a name transferred to your account?
Old enough to be available but the lesson is not to fall for this.

•••
This happened to me also. I sold a domain for $ 99 at NP auction (after no response for my out bound). I got higher offer later. Simply replied I no longer own the domain.:xf.cry:

Also I had a different situation few years back.
I sold a domain for $1.5K to the highest offer ( second one was $1.25K) From out bound marketing.

It got expired!! after 1 year. I re-registered the same domain. Sold for $1.25K to another buyer.

It was a legal domain and geo targeted.:xf.grin:
This luck happened to me twice

Last edited:
•••
It's not a very good scam if the point is to buy the domain back from the new owner, but the new owner has made it impossible to be contacted (I still don't understand this, because surely the whois will update with their info automatically when they received the domain to their account).

Whether someone will really pay $10k, who knows, but apparently someone was willing to genuinely pay $300 for it.

If it was me, and it dropped, I'd register and just list on Dan again for $200 or $250. (Fake Edit: seems to be what the post above did. (y))

•••
I will bid on my names if i see them on old accounts if they were dropped. I hand register but not always first to think them up. I haven't had contact doing this other than they realize their error and delete.

Last edited:
•••
Lol I don't think it's a scam. How am I supposed to buy back if they made it impossible to contact them? Bad scam. Also this name received 2 other lowball offers from the same Domain Agents about 3 months before this large offer. The first one was $120..
First thought is why care what your names sells for next time. Second thought is if you cannot see the scam is designed for you to get greedy as you can buy that name back and then keep it at your new price.

The name got renewed last month by current owner so I have given up hope of getting the name till end of next year if they don't renew. I haven't done much transfers into my account but most of my domains are on namecheap. There's an option when doing a push to either use new contact details or current contact details and I believe I must have left it as use current and new owner didn't bother checking..

Yeah it sucks lol. Another name that I sold for £300 last year expired and I bought back, but it's a very niche domain with not much end users so I don't think it'll sell again lol. It's a domain with donut keyword..
This happened to me also. I sold a domain for $ 99 at NP auction (after no response for my out bound). I got higher offer later. Simply replied I no longer own the domain.:xf.cry:

Also I had a different situation few years back.
I sold a domain for $1.5K to the highest offer ( second one was $1.25K) From out bound marketing.

It got expired!! after 1 year. I re-registered the same domain. Sold for $1.25K to another buyer.

It was a legal domain and geo targeted.:xf.grin:
This luck happened to me twice

Yeah I don't know why whois is still my info. Well technically it's protected whois, but the email redirected to mine. I think it's a real offer because it's a crypto related meme but not like a finance keyword..

Okay I'll give y'all a hint. It's a .com & has "gains" keyword. You can go on twitter and see how popular the gains keyword is in the crypto niche..

Kinda regret selling it but I was a noob and didn't think this would get such an offer. Plus crypto didn't have as much hype/bullrun when I sold it in early 2020..
It's not a very good scam if the point is to buy the domain back from the new owner, but the new owner has made it impossible to be contacted (I still don't understand this, because surely the whois will update with their info automatically when they received the domain to their account).

Whether someone will really pay $10k, who knows, but apparently someone was willing to genuinely pay $300 for it.

If it was me, and it dropped, I'd register and just list on Dan again for $200 or $250. (Fake Edit: seems to be what the post above did. (y))

•••
There's an option when doing a push to either use new contact details or current contact details and I believe I must have left it as use current and new owner didn't bother checking..

Ah, that explains it then. Seems like a strange option to have. I can't even think of a legit reason why the contact info shouldn't change if the account changes.

•••
Unless current owner is paying you to be their receptionist, ignore it, you are not the domain owner anymore, what ever offers come in for the domain is nothing to do with you.

If current owner details are not up to date, thats their problem.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back