IT.COM

.eu Registry to ban Cyrillic .eu addresses even if you've paid for them

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
The internet registry operator for Europe's .eu domains will forcibly dump yet more internet addresses, with a decision to kill off any domains in the Cyrillic alphabet.

In a note this week – provided only in English – the registry said it will forcibly delete any .eu domains that include Cyrillic letters on May 31, 2019, regardless of whether registration has been paid for beyond that date.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/29/eurid_dumps_cyrillic/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Very strange.

And then we also have the srange GDRP legislation,- with whois on several extentions going private for European citizens, already at several registrars.
I already called several European members of the Europarliament from my country to explain how stupid this is. It's in any case an unwanted consequence and they seem to agree and say they will try to do something about it. (I didn't reach themselves but their coworkers in their kabinet.

•••
what a strange ( and stupid ) move

•••
Not that bright of a move...
At least they should offer the .ею for free, forever and automatically to those affected.

•••
•••
Another fine mess. There's a real lack of joined up thinking with a some of Eurid's recent decisions though the one imposed on it by the idiots in the European Commission is probably far worse. The reality is that IDNs form a very small subset of most mixed (IDN/non-IDN) ccTLDs. It does look like an attempt to force some IDNs out of the main .EU ccTLD and into the IDN version of the ccTLD. If there's enough of a backlash, Eurid management may be encouraged to change their minds.

Regards...jmcc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back