NameSilo

.eu domain name scam

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Didn't see this posted and I know alot of NP'ers are from the UK so I thought this might help a few...

Article from Personal Computer World

Police warn world of UK domain scammer
By Dinah Greek [10-10-2003]
EU wouldn't believe what they've been up to

Cambridgeshire Police has taken the unprecedented step of issuing a global warning about St Neots-based Dot Com Avenue.
Trading as service provider, the company is believed to have raked in hundreds of thousands of pounds by offering to pre-register .eu domain names for companies.

But many companies contacted are not eligible for the suffix, and .eu domains cannot in any case be pre-registered.

"You can't pre-register .eu names," stated Ken Sorrie, director of Internetters, a registrar accredited by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (Icann).

"We don't even know who will be appointed as the registrars for .eu or what the qualifications for this role will be."

Companies must have their registered office, central administration or principal place of business within the European Union to be eligible to apply. Individuals registering must be a resident in the EU.

Cambridgeshire Police said in a statement: "We are aware of dealings Dot Com Avenue has had with companies and organisations as far away as the US, countries in which most companies and individuals are not eligible to register for a .eu domain name.

"If anyone has registered with Dot Com Avenue, and has paid them a fee for pre-registration and has not heard anything back, then we would like to hear from you."

vnunet.com has learned that one major high street bank has already handed back over £150,000 to customers and has withdrawn Dot Com Avenue's merchant services facilities.

The company that runs Dot Com Avenue, has also set up a second firm, .eu Registry Services, offering to pre-register .eu domain names.

In letters sent out by this company, it claims to be the operator of this suffix, which is in fact held by non-profit organisation the European Registry of Internet Domain Names. "We are proud to be operating the internet's most important regional domain name," it states.

Detective Constable Jody Faro told vnunet.com that there was no guarantee that those dealing with either .eu Registry Services or Dot Com Avenue would receive any form of product.

A man has been released on bail pending further enquiries by Cambridgeshire Police, which is investigating Dot Com Avenue, .eu Registry and another of his companies, Dot Biz Domain Renewal.

This third company claimed to be an accredited Icann registrar and urged businesses to renew their .biz domains long before the November 2003 deadline.

DC Faro would also like to hear from people who have paid money to these businesses.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact him at Cambridge Police Station on +44 (0) 1480 456 111

Here's the link to the article: http://www.pcw.co.uk/News/1144248

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
good post.

i signed up to .eu reg for 2 domains, thratend to call in thelawyers and within 24 hrs got an officialconfirmation nothing was debited from the card and accoun closed.

i'll call em when i get bac :)

•••
.EU would be a promising extension. So domainers get ready.

•••
.. "domainers" can't purchase them:
Companies must have their registered office, central administration or principal place of business within the European Union to be eligible to apply. Individuals registering must be a resident in the EU.

•••
Originally posted by GCgirl4ever
.. "domainers" can't purchase them:

Sure you can if you have a buddy that lives in the EU. ;)

•••
Thanks for the link FruitFish ;)

•••
There latest scam sending a letter that says
DOMAIN EXPIRATION NOTICE
DO NOT IGNORE THIS NOTICE

"Please renew this domain immediately to ensure service continues uniterupted. if payment is not made to the registery before the expiry date the domain is subject to immediate suspension and deletion with out notice"

This letter asks for a cheque with a renewal fee
of £60 (about $120) for 2 years

This is for a domain i no longer own and is a .info that was registered at namecheap.com nice to see they keep there records up to date

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back