IT.COM

Registrar's Logging Hand Reg Inquiries?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

offthehandle

.Top Member
Impact
Even back in the 90's way before I had interest in this business, when I was entering into Netsols's search box during their monopoly reign on land rush days to see if I could get a decent and see if it was available, I always felt there must be a spy database or log being kept by the registrar of those inquiries purchased or not.

Does anybody have insight into this from working within one of them? I wouldn't anybody is going to divulge that, but it just seems weird. Any first hand experience where you entered a name into the registrar and the next day it was purchased, to some privacy hidden owner?

I am wary of doing searches on both the location where I buy it and where I initially look, such that info is being gathered up and used. As far as that goes, with even the whois and domain history sites all over the net. Just seems sort of unnatural for these sites to be free "just because", ...because they gather up data for their use or someone who pays for it. It is so easy.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
yea and then "conveniently" domains you "checked" get registered with privacy.

could it be the lowly workers at the registrars can see in "Realtime" domains being "tasted" by users and then "quietly" register domains with privacy using their mobile on some other registrar that way they won't get fired. I personally know this because I befriend alot of registrar "worker bees". lol it's funny really.

nobody will ever admit it. but it is the 900 lb. Gorilla in the room!

your best "domain tasting" tool? is thee address bar friend. and maybe Icann. but even then ICANN does have "worker bees" themselves yes?

never put it past anyone. it's a cut throat business.

if a waiter can take your credit card and skim it and then clone it? you don't think some admin at a registrar can see it?

I remember having issues hand regging. I had domains in my cart. called up with the problem. gave them my info and boom! he said he can see ALL THE DOMAINS in my cart.

easy as pie! in REAL TIME.

you don't think in their "downtime"? they aren't sitting there with a bucket of popcorn checking out people's Domain Tasting?

Last edited:
•••
So the
I personally know this because I befriend alot of registrar "worker bees". lol it's funny really.
Oh yea?, are you picking their brains for trends? Good one. Social Engineering... as I recall reading Kevin M's famous book about how he operated, lol.

•••
Have had problems with my cart when picked something "tasty", had to resume and succeeded after all. The rule seems to be you search and you immediately register it :)

•••
Never query a name unless you are ready to register it, or are ok with losing it. You never know how some of these databases harvest their info.

I've never experianced one of my "to-do" list names being taken after a query, but that's not to say it can't easily occur with a seedy registrar or whois.

Akin to insider trading, imo.

•••
I thought I was imagining this. Have found some great hand regs recently, couldn't believe some were available, then went back to buy them days later and they're gone. Happened too many times to simply be coincidence ie someone else finding them around the same time !?

Moral of the story if you findem, buyem there & then !

•••
Moral of the story if you findem, buyem there & then !

Very true. Like I've said on other posts I am pretty ancient, my experience goes way back to simple computing in early 80's. The current world seems great on one hand, with instant answers it seems. On the other hand, the speed at which you need to adapt is nearly instant, don't blink. In my own paranoia I search on one registrar or partial words only on the one I am going to use. The amount of data harvesting has become so incredible to me, now the entire web is populated with bots and databases, and the speed at which it is collected is mind boggling.

•••
So the

Oh yea?, are you picking their brains for trends? Good one. Social Engineering... as I recall reading Kevin M's famous book about how he operated, lol.

well yea! why not? I have an uncanny knack for acting or talking to people like I've known them for years! I always find out where they are located like my registrar is in Arizona and chat them up.

one rep talk for 30 minutes with me. just shootin the breeze. and he did spill the beans on it. he said it's pretty much rampant in every registrar.

it's all the reps "side biz" lol. so it's not that the registrar owners or company itself is in the business of front running but registrar reps are domainers themselves and they see everything.

I'm from the NY NJ area. and I spoke to someone at one of my registrars who use to live in the Bronx.

had a problem with my shopping cart as I was handregging via mobile

made the mistake of "Tasting" domains on my registrar.

had second thoughts on some. was going to wait on some for dotster or netfirms specials.

he told me I better get these as they were pretty good.

and that "everyone" will see these at "the office". he was being pretty vague as they are being recorded. but I read between the lines.

don't know if it was just a slick way to get me to reg. but didn't take a chance. hand reg it.

True story.

•••
I always thought the possibility could be there.

•••
Used to be a big problem way back.

Used to notice this happening a lot back in the day.

In the past several years I have not noticed this being a problem.

Back then I used to use the whois from the command line on my desktop to check directly, bypassing the registrars completely.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back