Dynadot

Registered 4 domains on prospect of using them to advertise another domain for sale to end users

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
As some of you may know I own a domain that I value quite highly, www.JesusChri.st, indeed so highly that I generally consider it part of my pension plan. In the past I have tried bringing it to the attention of high roller end users using email, phone, and even snail mail campaigns - but all to no avail. I generally receive one or two enquiries a month about the domain but most of these try acquiring it for next to nothing (and in some cases nothing at all). A few enquiries over the 10 years since I registered it have been serious but we were unable to close the gap between how much I valued the domain for and what the prospective buyerwas willing to pay.

Anyway, this morning I started looking at how much it would cost to run a well funded marketing campaign to get a prospective auction of the domain in front of the big players who might for themselves, their churches, their missions, or whatever, and for them to see the value that the domain would be to them. Well even the smallest wide reaching marketing campaign would cost $x,xxx's - $xx,xxx's. Then whilst checking out the media pack (advertising fees) on one site for perhaps the most important convention where I could market JesusChri.st I did what most domainers do without even thinking about it, I checked the domain registrations of the key words involved with the convention, and ......................................... I just sat there for a few seconds in disbelief, the domain name of the convention was showing as available to register.

Right, years of domaining have taught me that errors do occur, both human (on my part) and computer (normally a simple glich in the programming somewhere), so I went into automatic mode - that means 'check the spelling of the domain name I entered'. No, nothing wrong there, my spelling was correct. The domain and 3 other related domains were immediately ordered and paid for.

www.Proclaim17.com
www.Proclaim18.com
www.Proclaim19.com
www.Proclaim20.com

Here I should say that NRB.org (National Religious Broadcasters) run a convention and exposition every year for Christian media professionals, thousands attend from literally around the globe, the title of which is 'Proclaim + (year)'. For some unfathomable reason the organisation that runs probably the worlds most prestigious christian media convention didn't even bother registering the domains.

The registration of these 4 domains will hopefully help me get www.JesusChri.st in front of thousands of the worlds Christian media professionals, including broadcasters, media pastors, program producers, film producers, webmasters, social media managers, bloggers, podcastors, authors, publishers, and not to mention staff of major televangelists and some of the major churches throughout the US and indeed worldwide.

Let us see where this leads. Over the next couple of weeks I shall build and publish a site on www.Proclaim17.com, hopefully that will work it's magic and get www.JesusChri.st into the marketplace, if not then a similar site will be published in the spring of next year on www.Proclaim18.com to take over from '17, and so on up to and including Proclaim20.com if needed.

Just goes to show, always check the domain availability even if you think there is not 1 in a 10,000,000 chance of such an important domain being unregistered - sometimes, just sometimes they are not! ;)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Enjoyed reading this..like your strategy to help sell your main domain!

Only one question, why don't you have your own landing/sales page instead of using a parking service?

•••
Great last minute strategy you implemented there! Research pays off, good luck with the sale. :-D

•••
I also enjoyed your post, and the associated logic. My big Q though is - How can you make serious money from your JC name?

•••
@briguy - I have intermittently over the last 10 years since I registered the domain had dedicated landing pages up. The fact is that I have not recently been pro-actively after selling the domain, but rather as I said looked on it as just part of my pension fund. I guess though the decision has now been made to actually go fully pro-active on this. Therefore I have today been designing both a basic multi-page sales site for JesusChri.st as well as the site for Proclaim17.com. Give me a week or so and they should be live. ;)

@jaydpro - Thank you for your comment. It just seemed daft to me to even consider spending say $10,000 on advertising when given that by investing $100-$200 in registrations and hosting even over possibly 4 years could bring about a much better final result for me. (Take for example that even providing free pens with www.JesusChri.st on at reception and a few other areas at the Proclaim 17 convention would cost $1,500 in sponsorship as a non-member ('Cru' has already sponsored this for the Proclaim 17 convention) - and the convention lasts just 4 days.

@Kuffy - Glad you enjoyed the write up, everything occured exactly as stated. As to your question about how can I make serious money out of the domain JesusChri.st I would ask you to wait about a week for the basic sales website to go up, I think it best (from my prospective) to demonstrate there the value of the domain JesusChri.st. :-D

•••
Well you are in a time where this name will be at the forefront.. Best of luck selling it!!

•••
@TheBaldOne, I have to ask, and you needn't answer. Are you a christian? Your passion for the name would lead me to believe so. Or are you merely viewing this name as an investment.That being said/asked, I really like the domain because, yes, I am a christian and it has special meaning.

•••
@rivey001 - I presume you are referring to 'Christmas', though I think also perhaps Easter would again qualify, if not more so in many ways. As it is I do not think there is actually a 'best' or 'worst' time to sell the domain, I seem to think that the christian community and organisations are such 12 months a year. As it is I registered the Proclaim(xx).com domains covering the next 4 years so I am not looking on any kind of seasonality at all for selling www.JesusChri.st. (I have held it for 10 years and am willing to hold it for another 10 years if need be.)

@Pierre Barnard - I have to say I am not a christian, indeed I am not religious at all. My passion for the domain is perhaps strengthened because I can look on the value of the domain without any associated personal passion of being a christian. This means that I treat it solely as an investment, as I do my other domains. (I am not in no way an MMA or UFC fan, but I see the value of my my domain www.Fig.ht to such {perhaps if 'FightMagazine.com' had also seen it then they might still have been publishing! :rolleyes:})

Perhaps also being as such on the outside rather than the inside of the faith allows me to be more impartial in valuing the domain. I take into account for example just how much conventions such as Proclaim aim to raise from sponsorship and attendance fees ($1 million plus), how much sponsors are readily willing to pay as individual organisations in advertising at such an event for just 4 days, how much different organisations could by utilizing the domain name to become the preeminent christian website on the internet. Of course at the same time I also have to take into account any extra costs that may or may not be associated with the development and widestream acceptance of the website under such a domain.
(I am starting to stray into what will be covered on the sale site when it goes live later this week so I will stop here. ;))

Glad though you like the domain and recognise it as being significant to you as a christian, I happen to think you will not be alone in your feelings, indeed there could be millions who will feel the same way. :)

Last edited:
•••
I have just published the site www.JesusChri.st as a landing sales site for the domain. It is obviously quite rough at the moment, just built the site today during breaks and lulls, it is based on the ideas I had over the weekend. :-$

Tomorrow I will start on the www.Proclaim17.com site which will obviously contain links to www.JesusChri.st. :rolleyes:

Just wanted to keep members abreast of developments.

•••
Nice landing page! Personally, I would use a white font rather than the "yellow"..
Viewed on on Android . .

•••
Enjoyed reading this..like your strategy to help sell your main domain!

Only one question, why don't you have your own landing/sales page instead of using a parking service?

Is there a free landing page available out there?

•••
@briguy - Thank you for the quick feedback, very much appreciated. I will see about possibly changing the colour of the text or making the site more android friendly over the next couple of days as well. The thing is I had to get JesusChri.st live before publishing the Proclaim17.com site which will link to it. ;)

Feedback on viewing experiences on different devices, systems, etc. are invaluable. :)

There are just 3 months before the Proclaim17 convention so it is important that the basics are in place as soon as possible so as to get JesusChri.st in front of prospective end-users.

•••
Glad though you like the domain and recognise it as being significant to you as a christian, I happen to think you will not be alone in your feelings, indeed there could be millions who will feel the same way. :)

Thanks for your answer @TheBaldOne. Yes, I really think this name qould be quite significant to a lot of christians. All the best to you.

•••
I think thats an awesome strategy mate,....

I actually wouldn't surprised if the actual even organizers themselves end up making you an offer for the domain....

•••
JesusChri.st is a very cool domain hack, but who do you see as the end user, and will they have the deep pockets to fund your pension.

Personally, I do not think so and believe any organization with deep enough pockets will opt for a more familiar domain extension.

I do not think many end users understand domain hacks like we do.

I think it confuses them.

A while back I had several domain hacks and tried to sell them with outbound emails, to no avail.

I also have had some religious domains and find them to be very, very hard to sell.

Not trying to burst your bubble, just my opinion, and I hope you do have good luck selling the domain.

•••
@briguy - I have now changed the main text colour to white for the mobiles. Thank you. :)

@deez007 - Well we will have to wait and see what outcome results from the strategy. It does seem to me though that domainers have to be pro-active and have to come up constantly to sell the domains to end users, this strategy was only made available by chance that NRB.org had not registered the domains of the convention names.

@Cdomains - Having researched the subject thoroughly over the years let me assure you many many potential end users have very deep pockets. ;) Also the other domains you hint at are either not available on the aftermarket or more to the point are owned by other end users. I would also point out that it depends on how you look at it whether the other domains you hint at are indeed actually better ot worse than www.JesusChri.st (I indeed discuss this briefly on the website).

Of course not many end users understand domain hacks, just look how few domainers understand them, or indeed how to use them!

You mention you have tried outbound email marketing, you will see from my opening post I too have peviously tried this method (and I am sure many if not most members have tried this also). It fails far more often than it succeeds, one of the reasons for this is that most times the emails are either ignored, classed as spam by a filter or indeed by the recipient. This thread actually concerns utilizing a novel approach to marketing domain names.

As for you having some 'religious domains' and find them hard to sell. Well we have owned www.JesusChri.st for nearly 10 years and as I have said previously are more than willing to hold it for another 10 years, indeed by registering and utilising the domains Proclaim17.com (and '18', '19', and '20') we are already planning the marketing campaign for the next 4 years. Of course if the right offer was made tomorrow and it were all finalised within the week then we would not complain, but we are looking at running a medium term marketing campaign and I think this is the best way to look at this business.

I have started putting together the www.Proclaim17.com and hopefully the first rough of it will go live late tomorrow (Thursday, UK time). We hope that by the New Year both www.JesusChri.st and www.Proclaim17.com will be some traffic and that traffic will include the targetted end users. :lookaround:

•••
Looks good . .plus white is probably the number one color/colour associated with your niche...

•••
Unfortunately haven't been up to much over the past 3 or 4 days, but overnight I have made a few changes to the www.JesusChri.st website, though I have also produced a list of changes that will be done over the coming week or so. (One thiing I have done is made it more tablet friendly hopefully.)

I have started work on the www.Proclaim17.com website, though this is not published yet, it could be anytime between tomorrow (Tuesday) and Thursday that it will go live. Already though planning ahead (most likely within the month) for extra effective features on the site to help it gain popularity amoung attendees at the 'Proclaim 17' conference in Febuary/March next year. Of course looking to build on these features should it be needed into a site that can be transferred to www.Proclaim18.com (and 19 and 20).

I will post again when Proclaim17.com is published.

•••
Nice landing page! Personally, I would use a white font rather than the "yellow"..
Viewed on on Android . .
It's the red on the left that is the problem, imo

•••
It's the red on the left that is the problem, imo
Since that posting, the website been updated.

Just checked it out on mobile and I don't see any red?

•••
Since that posting, the website been updated.

Just checked it out on mobile and I don't see any red?
True, it has changed for the better, LOL i don't like the blue now

•••
Just a quick update this afternoon, I have just chucked up the initial version of www.Proclaim17.com. (Yes, I realise that it needs a lot of work - but that will occur over the next few days.)

I am contemplating putting up a forum or at least a message board on the Proclaim17.com site, the idea being that it will make it more 'attendee' friendly. Of course this would involve monitoring posts, etc. which is the main drawback with this idea. :xf.frown:

Anyway, this is the first real step in the proposed 4 year marketing plan for www.JesusChri.st. Of course hoping that it much shorter than 4 years. Wonder what Lyon or the mods would say to a thread lasting 4 years? :xf.grin: (Perhaps a blog post might prove more appropriate. :xf.wink: )

•••
Yesterday I did the upright thing and emailed www.nrb.org to just let them know that I had the domain www.Proclaim17.com (and also '18, '19, and '20) and that I had set up a site on it. Well this morning when checking it seems that nrb.org yesterday (after receiving my email) decided to register the following:

Proclaim21.com
Proclaim22.com
Proclaim17.net
Proclaim18.net
Proclaim19.net
Proclaim20.net
Proclaim21.net
Proclaim22.net
Proclaim17.org
Proclaim18.org
Proclaim19.org
Proclaim20.org
Proclaim21.org
Proclaim22.org

(I had previously wondered if by me posting a thread on this subject would result in another domainer/s registering the domains - that obviously did not happen.)

I should stress that I have not received any communication, perfunctory or otherwise, to my email of yesterday to nrb.org or indeed the one I sent earlier today congratulating them on their registrations of the domain names.

Now to make my domains (and websites) work towards producing what will be equivalent to many $xx,xxx's of marketing / advertising value for my domains over the coming 4 years. (Let's see just how good a marketeer / advertiser I am when dealing with a specific purposefully targetted audience, or not as the case may be. :smuggrin: )

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back