IT.COM

Register.com transfer out problem

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,

I have one domain with register.com and I wanted to transfer it out simply because I like to keep all my domains in one place. As usual I unlocked the domain and requested the transfer code. But instead giving me the code their website tells me I have to wait 4-5 days:

Your request for an Auth Code has been received and your information will be validated for security reasons. If your request is approved, you will receive your Auth Code by email in 4-5 days.

I suggest everyone to stay away from this registrar. They also tried to sell me domain renewal for just??? $20 a year during the EPP code request. Also they want you to fill a small survey. Basically you have to click through many different pages just to request the transfer code. It's very gimmicky and annoying and at the end you don't even get the code. First they need to approve the transfer code request, whatever that means.

If the guys at register.com are trying to be more annoying than godaddy, they might have just succeeded. register.com sucks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wait for a few days and watch your inbox.
Hey it's an improvement, not long ago you had to call them...

•••
Those Register.com people are so annoying. They kept me waiting 5 days and now they want e to call them and this is all because I want my transfer code.

Dear ***,

You recently requested an auth code to transfer your "***" domain name.
Your request has been processed and at this time it has been declined due to recent suspicious activity in your account.

Register.com is committed to providing the most secure and reliable domain services for our customers.
We have implemented specific security measures to help prevent unauthorized transfer of domains to another registrar.
The type of suspicious activity that could have caused your request to be declined includes:
- Multiple failed attempts to login to customer's account
- Recent changes to the account holder's name, email address, or login ID
- Attempts to access the account over the phone without authorization
- Recent changes to the accounts password
- Domain name lock not removed
- Recent changes to billing or credit card information

To receive your auth code, please call one of our customer service consultants at 1.888.734.4783. They will confirm you to the account and then fulfill your request.

Thank You,

Sandy Ross
EVP, Customer Service
Register.com

•••
This thread is 2 years old, but it seems that register.com still uses the same tactic.
Is that proper according ICANN? I mean, obsiously they are trying to obstruct the process - specially for those who live outside US.

•••
I have the same problem. They are making things difficult, not friendly registrar.
To Register.com owners and staff , please remember that those are not your domains to keep and we have the rights to transfer our domains away !

•••
Register.com is not a registrar for domainers. They are for people who have one website including domain, hosting, homepage, etc. and don't care to pay hundreds of dollars for it.

Plus they use every possible tactic to keep you renewing your domain with them for crazy prices.
All this "suspicious activity" talk is BS and is part of the tactic.
If you google, you will see that maybe from 2 people who want to transfer out their domain, one of them received the "suspicious activity" message. wow so many suspicious activities and coincidentally all of them @ Register.com , roflol, they must assume that people are stupid and don't notice these tactics.

I just transfered my last domain out of there and will never ever again register any domain with them or use them. I think they are even worse than 1&1 or at least in the same level.

•••
Thanks for sharing very useful info.I have the same problem,but your post solve my problem.

Last edited:
•••
They just informed me that they can't give me the auth. code for the domain I sold to someone else.
Love register.com

•••
You can do like me and complain to Icann, that will generate a ticket, to which they will reply with a BS excuse, then ticket closed. But you can still try nonetheless, I think you should because Icann will have to take note if they start receiving multiple complaints about the same registrar.

•••
You can do like me and complain to Icann, that will generate a ticket, to which they will reply with a BS excuse, then ticket closed. But you can still try nonetheless, I think you should because Icann will have to take note if they start receiving multiple complaints about the same registrar.

Yes, and Registrar.com will still do the same things. Simple solution, if you don't trust them, don't use them.

•••
Got a nice story.

2 days ago called them - got the code by email. Buyer started the transfer. Everything seems to be fine, But in Register.com email regarding transfer there were no approve link. Today buyer informed me that Register.com rejected the transfer.

Fantastic! Called them again... aprox. time waiting 30 min. Waited for 15 min and no result. Amazing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back