Dynadot

DO NOT use Register.com for your domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

varlov

varlov.comEstablished Member
Impact
Hello,
4 days ago requested an Auth. Code transfering one of my domains. Here is the answer:

Dear Borislav Varlov,

You recently requested an auth code to transfer your "DOMAIN NAME" domain name.
Your request has been processed and at this time it has been declined due to recent suspicious activity in your account.

Register.com is committed to providing the most secure and reliable domain services for our customers.
We have implemented specific security measures to help prevent unauthorized transfer of domains to another registrar.
The type of suspicious activity that could have caused your request to be declined includes:
- Multiple failed attempts to login to customer's account
- Recent changes to the account holder's name, email address, or login ID
- Attempts to access the account over the phone without authorization
- Recent changes to the accounts password
- Domain name lock not removed
- Recent changes to billing or credit card information

To receive your auth code, please call one of our customer service consultants at 1.888.734.4783. They will confirm you to the account and then fulfill your request.

Thank You,

Sandy Ross
EVP, Customer Service
Register.com

None of the reasons above are true. Security? ... Unbelievable!
Think twice before use them as registrar.

Regards,
Borislav

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Aye, all you have to do is call. You'll never x-fer out of there without calling.

•••
I'll take "Things I learned in 1999" for $500, Alex.

•••
Finally managed to get the only domain transferred out of there after two complaints to ICANN. Register.com had refused to give an EPP code pre-renewal for the second time in two years citing 'suspicious' activity on the account! Took quite a few emails! Phew! Never again!

•••
I just won a Pre-Release Domain at SnapNames which was captured by a ReSeller for Register.com called MyPortalExpress.com. I think MyPortalExpress.com is actually owned by Register.com

Just a little about the initial capture first. I received the usual won notice but was asked to open up a new account at MyPortalExpress.com. I replied to that email asking if I could have the domain placed in my Register.com Account (from years ago). They replied no, I had to open up the new account. So I did. Everything went smoothly and I could log into my account and change the nameservers. The next day, I could no longer log into my account and I couldnt change my password, because they required a domain name and they couldn't find the captured domain name. Whaa!! Looked for a contact us or help page, nowhere to be seen. So the only way to contact them was to reply again to their domain won notice. Which I did. It took 4 replies from them before they addressed my question. They gave me the account name and password of the domain which was completely different to the account I had created with the link I clicked from the won domain message. Whaa!! I could login. Everything was again fine. I continued the email conversation, asking them to push the domain to my old Register.com account. Which they did. I wanted the push done basically because the MyPortalExpress.com control panel was so basic and no contact or help links, no change lock. Really basic. Anyway to cut a long story short, they pushed the domain to my old Register.com account, and I could log on and edit the domain without any problems. Hoorah!!

So onto my experience with Register.com. The Control Panel looks and operated similar NetSol. Not surprising since the same owner. I thought it was going to be as hard to use at NetSol, but I managed to move around the Control Panel relatively easily. So I unlocked the domain, opened a support ticket asking for the Auth Code, and received the Auth Code within 24hrs by email. I now have to wait for the auction lock to expire. Does anybody know how long that is with SnapNames/Register?

My experience with Register.com has been surprisingly pleasant. Certainly much better (1000%) than my NetSol experience. But I don't recommend them as anyone's Registrar with the prices they charge for Renewals, hassle for getting the Auth Codes, stupid support, etc, etc.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back