IT.COM

advice Rebuilding Archived Sites

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain_Stir

Established Member
Impact
Looking for some preferred approaches, methods, and tools or resources for rebuilding sites from archive records. I caught several pending delete domains that were misused that I would love to quickly re-purpose.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are paid services, they also offer free rebuilds (but for limited pages, so not really useful) or if you are pretty techie and are comfortable with Ruby or PHP you can have your own app. It's not quite that simple there are different levels of manual work, depending on what the old site was built on. All HTML= your day is easy, WordPress not bad, one of the other million builders and it takes a bit more work.

•••
If you already own the sites (so your not worried I'll go buy them, hahahah) send them to me in a PM and I'll tell you how difficult they will be to rebuild. I'll be able to tell by checking the Archive.org site. - I've done a million of them at this point - so it's easy for me to tell.

•••
the other thing I would check, as you said they were misused, is are they still indexed? Do they have a penalty waiting that will hit once you launch? Its worth only the domain value if its lost it's index and links - just an FYI

•••
Advice: never do it. You can easily get complaints from the previous site owners. Legally speaking, that's their content. Buying dropped domain, you don't obtain rights on using their content, design, etc.

What i do in these cases: i shuffle archived content between different sites in one niche. Then it's impossible to track down.

•••
remove the content and replace with your own = problem solved and you keep the link juice when done the right way

@golan great advice on the content shuffle. or if you are really BlackHat then you source your content from other expired sites - or at least I have heard.

Last edited:
•••
Advice: never do it. You can easily get complaints from the previous site owners. Legally speaking, that's their content. Buying dropped domain, you don't obtain rights on using their content, design, etc.

What i do in these cases: i shuffle archived content between different sites in one niche. Then it's impossible to track down.

Golan: Thanks for the input. I am new to this and was putting this out there as more or less a way of exploring different options and approaches. I was thinking about ethics behind it and wanted to get this community's take on differing methods/approaches. A pretty reliable source mentioned it to me in conversation and I just wanted to explore it a little more.

The way I was thinking of going at is to almost use it as a form A/B Testing to see what is effective. I don't have much of a coding background, at all, so this is a way to see if this might be a shortcut. Not really interested in just re-posting a failed site verbatim, however, just seeing if there is a way that I can use elements of that site blended with new content and re-purpose/improve on it. Kind of like the content shuffle you and Dname mention above.

•••
There are paid services, they also offer free rebuilds (but for limited pages, so not really useful) or if you are pretty techie and are comfortable with Ruby or PHP you can have your own app. It's not quite that simple there are different levels of manual work, depending on what the old site was built on. All HTML= your day is easy, WordPress not bad, one of the other million builders and it takes a bit more work.

Appreciate the feedback. Not really techie, yet... but the html vs wordpress vs... is good to know.

I posted this because I was trying to find YouTube examples of how-to's kind of thing but only ones I could find were promoting their service and nothing really in-depth. I've got a lot of great ideas and trying to expand my toolkit.

•••
Yeah, it's more of a teach yourself - but GitHub is where all the base of the programming is coming from. search waybackmachine github and start the reading ahhahahah.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back