IT.COM

debate Ramped.com | Good or Bad?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
Hi Folks,

I recently responded to another thread on here about Ramped.com which I has prompted me to start this one. It has been sometime since we saw the launch of Ramped.com, and I am interested to know what your thoughts are - good or bad.

Have you used them, and if so, what are your experiences? Have you sold anything through their sales platform, and if so, how did you find the experience?

I must admit that my overall experience hasn't been a good one, so much to say that after waiting months to get one of our domains listed (which never happened), we cancelled our membership.

Interested to know your thoughts...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wait wait is it a free membership or paid ? First off. And second. They are picky with the domains they list?

That's odd so it's like sedo's Great Domains auction then or namescon auction?

That's strange especially if you gotta pay. Not so strange if it's free.

•••
Wait wait is it a free membership or paid ? First off. And second. They are picky with the domains they list?

That's odd so it's like sedo's Great Domains auction then or namescon auction?

That's strange especially if you gotta pay. Not so strange if it's free.

Free to submit your domain for review, then $5 if/when they decide to launch your domain for listing. Seems like they only approve once they have found potential interest/buyers.

•••
Free to submit your domain for review, then $5 if/when they decide to launch your domain for listing. Seems like they only approve once they have found potential interest/buyers.

Aaahhh and how exactly do they go about finding interest or buyers when you haven't listed with them.

•••
You submit your domains for listing, then wait and wait and wait and wait......and it falls into a black hole!

•••
Initially when they launched there were fair number of bids. Now I notice number of bids going down.

•••
Initially when they launched there were fair number of bids. Now I notice number of bids going down.

Well they did stop promoting here in NP looks like?

•••
Well they did stop promoting here in NP looks like?

I noticed that too. Seems to me like they tried and are gradually failing.

•••
If it was me, I'd pull it and re-think the processes.

•••
My experience has been waste of time, i could be wrong but most bids seemed fake to me.

two times bids were very close to my reserve price and BIN but it remained unsold, didnt touch, same experience of my one friend, so in my next auction i decreased the bin to exact bid just for the sake of it and buyer failed to make payment.

•••
My experience has been waste of time, i could be wrong but most bids seemed fake to me.

two times bids were very close to my reserve price and BIN but it remained unsold, didnt touch, same experience of my one friend, so in my next auction i decreased the bin to exact bid just for the sake of it and buyer failed to make payment.

How long did it take them to approve your domain from when you originally submitted it?

•••
How long did it take them to approve your domain from when you originally submitted it?
different domains, different time, some got reviewed in week, some in a month, some 2 months and some never got reviewed :D

•••
Yes, Bids are doubtful. I did not take part. One of my friend informed that he had auctioned a couple of domains there. One domain failed to meet reserve but got 2 bids. He asked the site owner to get him in touch with bidders so that he can negotiate. site owner never replied.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I noticed that too. Seems to me like they tried and are gradually failing.

or they have tiny budget and Namepros ad price was too high?

I've checked all the usual spots to advertise and it's not cheap for sure.

•••
I don't like services that charge unless a domain is actually sold. I run a similar marketplace but it is 100% free. Gives good exposure but no charge. This way, people don't spend money. I like how NP does it free too.

•••
Actually, first 3 domains accepted are free. After that you can ask for more credit :xf.smile:

As a general rule, I don't mind paying a little, relative to domain value, upfront, for somebody to actively promote my domain and domaining in general. Judging by peoples' comments, Ramped seems very selective about what they accept, as opposed to, say, BrandBucket. This implies they do in fact perform some research and marketing upfront. Sure worth a try for free, IMO.

Working on a "competing" marketplace ourselves, entirely different from anything available now, hence the quote marks. However, I was very happy to see Ramped come online. The more, the merrier. Domaining is still in infancy, a niche still pretty much unknown to the general public (read: potential investors!). Every such marketplace is a big plus, promoting domaining and especially brandabling overall and helping bring more people (read: investors!) into the fold. This is why I'm happy to see BrandBucket, with all its quirks, is alive and growing and at the same time sorry to see Ramped, as well as Branddo and BrandRoot not doing so well. Namerific seems to be holding its own. Good. We, all us domainers, desperately need them promoting domaining out there! Every little bit helps (y)

Last edited:
•••
I mostly agree but with respect to paying up front, I truely believe that if an outfit has people actively selling inventory, they will use those resources to sell the best of the best names. Many others will pay for that effort, and get little attention. I just dont believe in paying up front. I dont mind $5 to GD for auction access. But anything else seems like a waste of money. With platforms like sedo, afternic, namejet, uniregistry, epik, namesilo...the list goes on...the option to pay for inclusion with no guarantee of any service whatsoever, just doesnt appeal to my business sense. One site now even wants a cut if you sell a listed name yourself. They want to make pushing a domain a breach.

I'll stick to free sites like NP or at least pay when names actually sell.

And i dont see many (any) tv commercials or radio ads from these companies. They could do alot more advertising than what i see.

•••
Agreed! :xf.smile:

I said and meant (see more emphasis added) that I don't mind paying upfront a little, assuming somebody actively promotes my domain and domaining in general. I'm an economist. I don't expect people to go out of their way to promote my products if not compensated. I'm a believer in the concept of a minimal listing fee + substantial success fee/commission. Provided, that is, that the "minimal" does not become the business in itself. Hard to say where to draw the line, but Ramped's $5 + free coupon model seems pretty reasonable. Much more so than, say, Verisign's $7.85 .COM registry fees! >:(

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back