NameSilo

debate Question: Is it better to have a fixed price or 'make offer' option?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Dear All,

I am seeking your expert opinion on landing page pricing. In your opinion and experience, is it better to:

1) Have a page that says 'This Domain is For Sale' and a link that takes them to a check out page with the price of $xxxx (fixed) and they can ONLY purchase and do nothing else

OR

2) Have a page that says 'This Domain is For Sale' and a link that takes them to a page that allows them to submit their 'best offer' or 'make inquires' or something vague like that

OR

3) Have a page that says 'This Domain is For Sale' and a link that takes them to a page that gives them a FIXED pricing amount amount - $xxxx but also an option to either contact us or let them input their 'best offer'.

Looking forward to hearing all your opinions!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
All the big auction houses will tell you that most of the sales they make are from fixed price listings. But this is a dilemma for the seller, how to price their domain? If you feel comfortable at fixing your selling prices, then go ahead with your fixed price listing. I like your 3rd option. With this method, it sets the ballpark for their offers. You are still going to have a strategy for dealing with lowball offers. But at least they should be less than option #2. But this option might be too wishy-washy for some of the members here. You will probably never make a fixed price sale with option #3, unless you have under-priced the domain. What I do personally, is make offer listings, and deal with all the lowball offers. About 50% of the time you anyway are likely to be the one going first on the price. So you might as well have had it at a fixed priced listing.

Pricing is always they key.

•••
I would probably not go with #3 - you are merely putting a maximum price to your domain. Since you are willing to negotiate, the buyer knows that he need not pay more than the fixed price you state and can negotiate quite a lot below that.

option 1 - higher chances of sale, but you might be leaving money off the table

option 2 - better chance to get max for the domain, but lower chances of the sale

I would probably start with option 2 - if I don't get any bites in a decent frame of time, then change it to option 1.

•••
have a page that says "This Domain May Be For Sale", where interested party can submit an offer or contact you via email/phone.

pages like this are integrated with many ppc services.

imo...

•••
Of course. biggie is correct. This is what I use most of all. Park, earn revenue, and for sales link. Although parking revenues has been diving really hard over this last year, imho. It might make sense for all your domains which are not making their regfee, to have a more clean/attractive/professional For Sale Page, and ignore the non-existent, or small, parking revenues. I'm definitely going to have more domains being redirected to a For Sale link in 2015.

•••
Thanks to all for your replies. I'm gonna test it out and post an update once I see any trends across the board.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back