IT.COM

discuss PWAs & After the dot

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bernard Wright

Established Member
Impact
@Rob Monster has a post in another thread about .icu's plan to link .icu with the video conferencing space. I think its an interesting concept, and full disclosure, I hold a few .icu domains. This concept has led me to wonder, as Progressive Web Apps become more popular, are the big players going to have their own gTLDs? I see that Amazon has been in the process of applying for the .amazon TLD for quite some time. Perhaps we will all visit the PWA at app.amazon one day, and so on. @Cyril.Best is investing in turning the .Best TLD into a social media plaform. Perhaps the after the dot word will become more relevant to the use of the domain (and essentially become synonymous with all activity tied to that domain extension) in the future.

I haven't thought about the economics, logistics, etc. But could this be the way things are headed? I tend to side with the King Com side of the argument, but as I think of the potential for app.amazon to sway things, and perhaps .icu to become more prominent in the video conferencing space, it makes me wonder how things will evolve as new technologies enter the market.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Consumers only need to remember a simple address, and for the foreseeable future this will remain as .com. They should not be aware of the technology behind. When they arrive at Amazon.com, for example, PWA will kick in and ask if they'll like to be notified of future event etc. If they say Yes, then a shortcut will be placed on the home screen of their mobile phones. PWA looks very similar to native app so users don't see the difference in the underlying technology. Much better than the current model of going to the app store, find the app, download it, install it, and update regularly in the future. I think the pendulum is swinging back from app to web.

•••
I’d draw from your post a possibility that as PWAs become utilized, the need for the perfect domain name might actually wane. It’ll be the app name that holds prominence in such case. So, I could create an app called Bernard, and host it at B3rnard.com, and people would identify with the Bernard name only. I recently saw that Wal-mart had at one time had their own TLD, which has since been cancelled. I think the main difference in the case of Amazon is that they hold more prominence in the web space, so anything they do to change the tide of things online will have more gravity than a similar move by Wal-mart. It’ll be interesting to see how things evolve.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back