Dynadot

Spam / abused gTLDs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
Today I've taken the decision to permanently ban certain TLDs on our company's mail server:

.xyz
.icu
.cyou

Enough is enough.

These TLDs are getting spammed to death now ($1 regs, of course), and I wonder, why would anyone buy and especially use such a domain anyway?

Your experience, other TLDs that are spamming you?

Thanks.

P.S. Side note, I'm working on an mail inbox cleaning solution that we already use in-house and has solved the problem. It will probably get live in a month or two, and I'll be happy to offer it for free to other members if there will be interest. Especially for the issue of getting spammed via protected email addresses which is a common. Just comment if it's useful to you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am not sure I have ever had (1) legitimate email from any of these bulk discounting extensions.
Pretty much all are scammy or spammy.

I know for certain there was not even one email that was requested, or useful in any way.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I am not sure I have ever had (1) legitimate email from any of these bulk discounting extensions.
Pretty much all are scammy or spammy.

I know for certain there was not even one email that was requested, or useful in any way.

Brad

Me neither. Only spam.

I only kept them unblocked so far, due to 1) not having a proper blocking solution back then (the usual Bayes thing doesn't really help), and 2) hoping that, perhaps, some valuable customer will use it someday.

This has got me thinking. How useless actually these TLDs are.

•••
Today I've taken the decision to permanently ban certain TLDs on our company's mail server:

.xyz
.icu
.cyou

Enough is enough.

These TLDs are getting spammed to death now ($1 regs, of course), and I wonder, why would anyone buy and especially use such a domain anyway?

Your experience, other TLDs that are spamming you?

Thanks.

P.S. Side note, I'm working on an mail inbox cleaning solution that we already use in-house and has solved the problem. It will probably get live in a month or two, and I'll be happy to offer it for free to other members if there will be interest. Especially for the issue of getting spammed via protected email addresses which is a common. Just comment if it's useful to you.

Same here

I blacklist emails coming from new expanded gTLDs and freemail accounts.

The problem has become worse since I joined NP because there are obviously people who visit this forum and use it to harvest contacts for web development work.

I've also noticed an increase in phishing emails and attempts to hack into non-existant CMS pages on domains that I list, so I now log and keep a record of offending IP addresses.

Last edited:
•••
Same here
I've also noticed an increase in phishing emails and attempts to hack into non-existant CMS pages on domains that I list, so I now log and keep a record of offending IP addresses.

How does this help you? I've stopped looking at these long time ago, apart for the default logging of the webserver.

Last edited:
•••
How does this help you? I've stopped looking at these long time ago, apart for the default logging of the webserver.
If you had any idea of the amount of email you get after 20+ years you would do the same to reduce the spam. If people see their email is rejected and you actually say no free hosts etc if they want to contact you they will use a real email

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back