Dynadot

.info "Proper" Whois servers for .org and .info?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi,

I prefer using a whois tool and a "proper" whois server to get whois details to see if domains are available, and usually use whois.internic.net for .com and .net domains. I did use this for .org domains, too. But since Network Solutions no longer run .org domains, this doesnt work anymore. Anyone know is there's a "proper" (non html) whois server available for .org domains and what it's address is?

Also a similar situation for .info domains. A whois server seems to be up at whois.nic.info, but doesn't seem to work correctly. I get "Domain hello.info not found. Please note that this whois server only provides" for every search I make for a .info domain. Is there a working .info whois server around?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
whois.sc works for both .org and .info

•••
I believe whois.sc is only a website though, i.e. html, not a whois server. Correct me if I'm wrong.

•••
.org
whois.publicinterestregistry.net

.net
whois.crsnic.net

Both good html roots

-Allan :gl:

•••
Whois.sc is the leader in whois searches, but I have these sites bookmarked for uptotheminuteresults:
For .info
For .org
I would like to list others for my site if anyone knows of somthing better.
J.K.

•••
IAmAllanShore said:
.org
whois.publicinterestregistry.net

.net
whois.crsnic.net

Both good html roots

-Allan :gl:

Ah thanks, whois.publicinterestregistry.net seems to work great for .orgs. Although whois.internic.net still works ok for .nets, so I'll stick with that.

A working .info whois server is proving illusive though.

suntech said:
Whois.sc is the leader in whois searches, but I have these sites bookmarked for uptotheminuteresults:
For .info
For .org
I would like to list others for my site if anyone knows of somthing better.
J.K.

Thanks, they're web servers though. A whois server is a special type of server, like a telnet server or a ftp server, not a http/web server.

Last edited:
•••
Try:

whois.afilias.info

for info domains

•••
omnia said:
Try:

whois.afilias.info

for info domains

Ah, that works, thanks. I was trying whois.nic.info - which seems also to be owned by Afilias (unsurprisingly), which mysteriously also has a up and running whois server, but which doesn't work correctly.

Last edited:
•••
Nowdays there are many websites offering whois look up in html with server somewhere else.

•••
I normally just try www.whois follow by the .info for info domains and .org for org domains, .us, etc and it will redirect to the correct whois server.

•••
techahben said:
I normally just try www.whois follow by the .info for info domains and .org for org domains, .us, etc and it will redirect to the correct whois server.
Is a good idea when you don’t know an exact whois site for a particular (cc)TLD, but I think that you in most cases will get redirected to a html whois site and not a specific whois server as requested.

•••
woops, I didn't realize he meant whois server. :D

•••
I wonder how many people regging domains actually know about "proper" whois servers and not just the web based variety

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back