IT.COM

Price of same 3 letters in different extensions

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
How much more in percentage, should you in general expect to sell/buy a 3 letter domain at if you want or own the same letters in different extensions?

Let say you own LLL.info and LLL.biz, in this case I set the the .info reseller price to 100$ and the .biz to 50$, which overall is 150$. How high a percentage should in general be added to the overall price?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In general....I estamate the .info to be 10% the value of the same LLL .com ... That based on general sales of LLL.infos....While the .biz tld yeilds a lower % than the .info ... As the .net and .us LLL market is rising...The prices vary by the week.

•••
•••
Thanks for your replies, but I think you have misunderstood what I am asking. I am not asking about 3 letter prices in general but packages with the same 3 letters in different extensions.

Let us say you have the domains abc.info and abc.biz and want to sell as a package. In this example is the reseller price of abc.info 100$ and the price of abc.biz is 50$. If you sold individually would you overall price be 150$ but my questions is how much more in percentage should you in general add to the overall price if you sell abc.info/abc.biz as a package to the same buyer?

•••
I don't know if there is a rule of thumb to go by, but I certainly agree with you that your domains will be worth more sold together than individually if you have domains like XYZ.biz and XYZ.net. Since I don't have any matching pairs myself, I have not tried fiddling with my asking prices.

•••
In some circles this is known as the monopoly effect. Just as in the board game, owning a series of the same properties does increase the value of the set, especially as end-user sales possiblities increase significantly.

Typically, an end user may want to own their acronym or name in many extensions, as each extension represents a different marketing possibility. For example, .com is global and .us is specific to the USA. But for a company that had a global presence, including within the US, the ability to reach their audience increases by owning their acronym in these two extensions. What's more, for example, if a company could aquire the .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .us and others of the same acronym, they will likely have available to them a multitude of marketing possibilities and can also better insure that they will be found by their client base as they attempt to find their brand.

End user sales drive the reseller marketplace, and as odds of making an end-user sale increase, so do the reseller prices for those names. If names can be matched in various top extensions, the increase in wholesale and end-user sale prices can sometimes double or triple (or more) the otherwise stand-alone wholesale values.

Great topic and there is certainly more to be said about this effect.

:) zesty

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back