IT.COM

Prevent domain snatching when searching at registrars.

NameSilo
Watch

intonier

Established Member
Impact
Hello, I had this question in mind for some time and I wanted to ask here since this happened again.

On a several occasions already, after I search for available domains on the registrar's page (Namesilo) and check back a day or a few days later this same domain is registered already. And when I check the who is data, it shows the domain was registered shortly after my search( on the same day at least).

So, my main question is: Am I right to think that there is some domain snatching occurring somewhere in the background at the registrar or it is just a coincidence (happening several times already) and I shouldn't worry about that?

I thought Namesilo was a decent registrar and if they are doing something to monitor the searches and grab good domains that would be really disappointing. I've heard such domain snatching was a common thing at Godaddy, but was hoping it's not happening at Namedillo, as I have most of my domains registered with them.

Also, is there a reliable way to search for available domains without triggering snatchers or similar shady practices? Is there a tool, website or method that is safe regarding your domain search activity?

I would really appreciate any advice on that matter.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For the record, Epik.com does not monitor customer domain searches.

For anyone who needs it, we do also provide a free VPN at Anonymize.com with which you can securely connect to Epik.com beyond reliance on just SSL, e.g. to mask URL requests.

We do also provide free WHOIS lookups at whois.epik.com. We do count WHOIS lookups but do so only in the aggregate, not to inform any staff member of available domains that should be registered.

NamePros members can be approved for Domain Tasting accounts, where you have 5 days to hold and then delete a domain. The cost is just the ICANN fee. Contact us for details.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for your reply, but isn't domain tasting something very close and similar to domain snatching or domain name front running (which I want to avoid)?

•••
Hello, I had this question in mind for some time and I wanted to ask here since this happened again.

On a several occasions already, after I search for available domains on the registrar's page (Namesilo) and check back a day or a few days later this same domain is registered already. And when I check the who is data, it shows the domain was registered shortly after my search( on the same day at least).

So, my main question is: Am I right to think that there is some domain snatching occurring somewhere in the background at the registrar or it is just a coincidence (happening several times already) and I shouldn't worry about that?

I thought Namesilo was a decent registrar and if they are doing something to monitor the searches and grab good domains that would be really disappointing. I've heard such domain snatching was a common thing at Godaddy, but was hoping it's not happening at Namedillo, as I have most of my domains registered with them.

Also, is there a reliable way to search for available domains without triggering snatchers or similar shady practices? Is there a tool, website or method that is safe regarding your domain search activity?

I would really appreciate any advice on that matter.

I've always trusted namesilo but my general rule is to never use any registrar for a whois search unless I'm gonna reg it right away.

I use whois at my Linux desktop or purewhois.com

•••
Thanks for your reply, but isn't domain tasting something very close and similar to domain snatching or domain name front running (which I want to avoid)?

Domain tasting is a way to register a domain for up to 5 days and then delete it. The practice used to be a lot more common until Verisign implemented delete quotas. So, we offer it on a limited basis.

The point here is that you can register a domain and then dump it within 5 days if you decide you don't want it. That might be a better option as you are only out the ICANN fee in this case.

I think you might be confusing "tasting" with "dropcatching". We offer that as well, but the dropcatching market has become highly competitive.

It seems you are new to the industry, so welcome and good luck. There are many experts at NamePros, many of whom share openly about what works.

One last thing on your theory about a domain being snatched -- it is possible that you were not the only one who was inspired to search the domain. You might want to verify where it was registered and when.

•••
Thanks, I also see Namesilo as one of the trusted and user friendly registrars and I really hope they don't run such domain monitoring or snatching activity. I do quite a lot of domain searches, when searching for new available domains, so something like the method you suggested would be helpful and I will probably have to change the way I research domains to something similar.

•••
Domain tasting is a way to register a domain for up to 5 days and then delete it. The practice used to be a lot more common until Verisign implemented delete quotas. So, we offer it on a limited basis.

The point here is that you can register a domain and then dump it within 5 days if you decide you don't want it. That might be a better option as you are only out the ICANN fee in this case.

I think you might be confusing "tasting" with "dropcatching". We offer that as well, but the dropcatching market has become highly competitive.

It seems you are new to the industry, so welcome and good luck. There are many experts at NamePros, many of whom share openly about what works.

One last thing on your theory about a domain being snatched -- it is possible that you were not the only one who was inspired to search the domain. You might want to verify where it was registered and when.

Well, I am kind of new to the domaining field and I appreciate your explanation on domain tasting.
My question is based only on a theory of course, as there is no way I can know exactly where and when the domain I was previously researching was registered.

I became suspicious as this has happened more than 3 times in recent months and I only primarily search for domains at Namesilo. I guess this will have to change for my future domain research.

•••
NamePros members can be approved for Domain Tasting accounts, where you have 5 days to hold and then delete a domain. The cost is just the ICANN fee. Contact us for details.

So just the $0.18? That's a great service you're offering to NP members. I wouldn't personally need it but it's good to know.

•••
Last edited:
•••
There is no proof namesilo did anything wrong. Unless you can provide proof.

Front running has been discussed so many times on this forum.

Please read the following

There is more articles, you can just run a simple search & get a tonne of information on the subject.

I agree and I'm not saying Namesilo did something wrong as I don't have conclusive proof of course. I was just wondering if this is common situation and specifically at Namesilo. As you may know, it's a bad feeling when you return a few days later and find the same domain already registered.

As I mentioned, this happened several times already and it made me suspicious and wondering about it. If it was only once or twice in a rather long period I wouldn't worry that much and would assume it was just a chance and coincidence.

Thanks for the link resources.

Last edited:
•••
We do also provide free WHOIS lookups at whois.epik.com. We do count WHOIS lookups but do so only in the aggregate, not to inform any staff member of available domains that should be registered.

A nice feature to consider adding would be to show the status of the .COM .NET .ORG etc. of the other domains on the main whois results page, how DomainTools does it

whois-name.png

•••
•••
@dncafe thank you and added to our to do

•••
•••
@dncafe I'm happy to share the new WHOIS Screens with you

The benefit of the DomainTools feature is that when you search for a .Com for example, it clearly shows the other top extensions and their status, if it is currently registered, or if it was previously registered (this is an important feature, although I don't know if you're able to provide that). This is very helpful to know how much demand there is for a particular domain.

The screenshot of the results page you shared doesn't really accomplish that in my opinion.

Having color coded boxes makes it easy to quickly identify the status of other domain extensions.

Also, your box is wasting space, in my opinion, by displaying extensions like .XYZ and .World, which many consider junk tdls, but I understand you're trying to upsell and make money. I would rather see .COM .NET .ORG .INFO in the box.

Thanks

•••
Don’t type unless you are ready to buy is the only advice I have.

•••
Thank you all for the extremely helpful replies and advice.

What about all those DA, PA, TF bulk SEO checking tools? Can we really trust that they are not using the domains you put in and picking the best ones before you can?

Any recommendations for safe in this regard tools ( bulk check of DA, TF, etc..).

•••
Any recommendations for safe in this regard tools ( bulk check of DA, TF, etc..).

The safest would be to hire a freelancer to clone your favorite tools and then run them on your own servers or computer and have full control over them

•••

Never knew about the domain tasting, thank you Rob.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back