Dynadot

Premium domains - Who decides

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Who decide whether the domain is premium or not? How can we consider if the domain is premium or not? I've seen a lot of good domains and they are not premium while also seeing a lot of bad domains and they are premium....

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The buyer is the one who determines if it is premium, not the seller. Past domain sales can influence a new domain sale though ;).

•••
It is true it would be the buyer who decides because what is premium today can be nothing when ICANN releases thousands of tlds within the next few years or the other way around.

For example Insurance-Quotes dot com can be considered a premium name. Would we say it still is a premium domain a few years down the road when Google, Apple and Amazon are giving away .web .click .inc .LLC or .whatever for free to their customers and customers can register InsuranceQuotes.web or .click or .inc or .LLC without hyphens instead ?

I don't know That is why premium will have a different meaning for everyone and that is why it is important for domains registered to be clean, nice and shiny because end users will have lots of choices soon and if they don't like your "premium" domain they will just register another "premium" name at google and company.

Last edited:
•••
zoomactive said it perfectly IMO..Unless we are talking about something obviously premium like Hotels.com or Travel.com or something, it is probably up to the end user to decide if it's really premium or not.

So many of these registrars today call names they are selling premium, even though they really aren't.

•••
.....this is an example of the larger consciousness system self correcting.......

Last edited:
•••
I consider registering domains and keeping them a serious sickness (at least for me). Last year, I threw away dozens of unused domains and I am trying my best to not to repeat the same mistake again...
I am just wondering about this premium domain...

I just couldn't understand how they decide if the domain is premium or not.

•••
You can't really say the buyer determines what is premium, and what is not.

You have to know which side called the ball. When a sale is done, it's either the seller gave in to the buyer's demands (which is the case for most domainers), or the buyer gave in to the seller's asking price.

But setting those aside, a Premium Domain must be both High Price AND High Demand.

For example:

If a domain sold for $18,000, it doesn't necessarily mean it is a premium domain. There could be just 1 buyer/inquiry for that domain for the past 5 years (meaning, no competitors). Just because one guy wants something so bad, doesn't make it premium, when nobody else wants it. It's even possible some guy lost his mind and made the mistake of paying a fortune on trash. So just because something sold at a ridiculously high price, doesn't automatically make it a premium item. It's possible the buyer was a sucker.

On the other hand....

A cheapo domain could have many bidders (meaning, High Demand). And yet all these bidders were bidding $1 increments until the domain sold for $88. Just because a dozen cheapos want that domain, doesn't mean the domain is a Premium domain in such case.

So in summary, something is said to be Premium, when its price tag is being DRIVEN UP, due to STRONG DEMAND.

•••
Who decide whether the domain is premium or not? How can we consider if the domain is premium or not? I've seen a lot of good domains and they are not premium while also seeing a lot of bad domains and they are premium....

:talk:

Hi

Premium can be based on a variety of aspects

but one is quality, another is price

domains can sell at a "premium price" above the price ranges of similar domains in same category. typically, this is due the the negotiation skills of the seller.

premium is relation to quality, is like a tier structure.

for instance with hotel/s.com being at top of tier, then chicagohotel, lasvegashotel and others falling just below in quality and desirability.

natural type-in traffic also is a trait of a premium domain, regardless to how many letters or words comprise the total domain name.

premium can be a niche',new technology, a renamed region, newly independent country, a fad, slang terms, etc.

however, the buyer doesn't determine if the name is premium, the buyer agrees that the domain is of such quality and/or desirability, that they are willing to pay the premium asking price for it.

but that's only if the seller knows the value of what they are offering for sale.

The buyer is the one who determines if it is premium, not the seller. Past domain sales can influence a new domain sale though ;).

:talk:

Hi

so you let buyers tell you or decide for you, if your name is premium or not?

past domain sales can only influence the selling price of domain, if the seller doesn't know the value and seeks similar price ranges of names sold in same category as his/hers.

and...

past domain sale prices can only influence the selling price of a domain, when the seller doesn't ask for more that the ranges of similar sales.

if past sales prices influence current sale prices, then price ranges would never rise for categories. unless/until someone starting asking for more than the average.

•••

I think there are just 3 classes of domain names:
1) available for registration at the regular registration fee $7-$10 per year or so
2) preregistered and advertised as premium, i.e. worth more than registration fee
3) fire sale domains with a close expiry date that could not be sold as premium and selling for under registration fee

So those #2 so called premium are often either sold for pennies or get dropped (become available)

•••
You can't really say the buyer determines what is premium, and what is not.

You have to know which side called the ball. When a sale is done, it's either the seller gave in to the buyer's demands (which is the case for most domainers), or the buyer gave in to the seller's asking price.

But setting those aside, a Premium Domain must be both High Price AND High Demand.

For example:

If a domain sold for $18,000, it doesn't necessarily mean it is a premium domain. There could be just 1 buyer/inquiry for that domain for the past 5 years (meaning, no competitors). Just because one guy wants something so bad, doesn't make it premium, when nobody else wants it. It's even possible some guy lost his mind and made the mistake of paying a fortune on trash. So just because something sold at a ridiculously high price, doesn't automatically make it a premium item. It's possible the buyer was a sucker.

On the other hand....

A cheapo domain could have many bidders (meaning, High Demand). And yet all these bidders were bidding $1 increments until the domain sold for $88. Just because a dozen cheapos want that domain, doesn't mean the domain is a Premium domain in such case.

So in summary, something is said to be Premium, when its price tag is being DRIVEN UP, due to STRONG DEMAND.

Hit the nail on the head. :) :great:

•••
a premium domain is the domain that has multiple parties that would be interested in it

•••
no one can decide, it is subjective.
Unless someone/organization defines it, it may always abused by the seller.

An analogy: organic vs all natural. No one has defined "natural", so all the companies now abusing it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back