Domain Empire

PPC Traffic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Seems to be some interest in arbitrage so I'll start with this question about
Adwords - do you have to have at least one active keyword for search in order for your ad to be displayed on the content network.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
rickkumar said:
I have just finished setting up a campaign using AdWords Editor and then successfully loaded it to Goog. Everything was just ok...no problems. :sold:

When I do my next campaign, can I then just copy the settings of this campaign to save some time? Is it possible to do so in AdWords Editor?

Thank you :)
Just copy and paste your campaign. And then edit :)

•••
John Doe said:
Just copy and paste your campaign. And then edit :)

Graet! Thank you :)

•••
goatish said:
I have seen better performance when I originally set up a single campaign ad group for both Search and Content if I know from the start that I want to run both types of campaigns for a domain. :)

I have been using Microsoft adcenter exclusively...I am now dabbling with Adwords for some advertising of products.

When you say Search and Content, Is this what Google calls Keyword Targeted and Placement Targeted? search=Keyword and Content=Placement?

Also, if this is what you mean, I do not see that you are given the option of combining search and content ads into one campaign as you say . I see that you either have the option of clicking on a campaign to ad more ad groups of the same style, either keyword or placement. Or clicking on keyword targeted or placement targeted to create new campaign of either style but I'm seeing no way of combining the two.

•••
i think

Search is the ads appear on the google.com, the sponsored ads

and the content, is where the AdSense ads show on all the websites.

•••
DnPresident said:
When you say Search and Content, Is this what Google calls Keyword Targeted and Placement Targeted? search=Keyword and Content=Placement?

No, those are just two different types of Content Network campaigns.

DnPresident said:
Also, if this is what you mean, I do not see that you are given the option of combining search and content ads into one campaign as you say . I see that you either have the option of clicking on a campaign to ad more ad groups of the same style, either keyword or placement. Or clicking on keyword targeted or placement targeted to create new campaign of either style but I'm seeing no way of combining the two.

You select either Search or Content in the Campaign Settings area.

As I mentioned before, Keyword Targeting and Placement Targeting are two *types* of Content Network advertising.

With Keyword Targeting, you select your keywords (and name your ad group) and Google decides which sites are likely to be relevant, and places your ads there. You can specify which sites you don't want your ads to appear on (like myspace or youtube) but you can't specify which ones you want. It's all done contextually.

If there is a site in the Content Network where you seem to be getting a lot of good traffic, (and if you are actually selling something, a site that you can tell is giving you conversions), or if you just think it would work really well for you, you would then use Placement Targeting. With Placement Targeting, you tell Google specifically which sites you want to advertise on. In some cases, you can even choose which section of the site you want your ad to appear on.

In addition, with Placement Targeting, you can refine it even further, by running either a CPC or a CPM campaign. With CPC, you are charged per click, with CPM, you are charged per 1000 impressions (I think the minimum is 25 cents per 1000 impressions) You'd mostly only want to do CPM if you were trying to establish brand recognition.

In my experience Placement Targeting tends to be more expensive than Keyword Targeting. But it might work for you, if you have a very focused niche, and the sites you are targeting are very relevant to that niche.

Bear in mind though - the site owners can, at any point, decide they don't want to show your ad, and add the domain to the competitive filter. They get up to 200 entries in that filter. So if you are Placement Targeting a site and don't see any impressions from it, it's possible they don't want ads for parked domains or thin affiliates on their site.

Hope that helps.

•••
^^ Outstanding!

I can't rep you anymore, apparently I'm too fond of you :hehe: Maybe we should just collectively start to send you flowers . :)

M.

•••
Mike said:
^^ Outstanding!

I can't rep you anymore, apparently I'm too fond of you :hehe: Maybe we should just collectively start to send you flowers . :)

M.

Neither can i, after every post i try to rep you....

thanks

•••
Mike said:
^^ Outstanding!

Thanks, but I have horrible allergies. Gets me out of all kinds of yard work.

However, I am not allergic to chocolate.

(ork ork)

•••
netmeg said:
Thanks, but I have horrible allergies. Gets me out of all kinds of yard work.

However, I am not allergic to chocolate.

(ork ork)
With all the great posts we've had from Netmeg I think we could all pool in and get her a chocolate factory for Valentine's Day!. What do you say guys? Do I hear a lot of yeas?

GIL :)

•••
•••
How about we donate NP$. I'll start it off with 50!

•••
I'm still new enough not to know what $NP is, exactly.

•••
Search/Content

DnPresident said:
I have been using Microsoft adcenter exclusively...I am now dabbling with Adwords for some advertising of products.

Sorry, I should be more targeted in my use of terms. :)

By "search" I am referring to the options within the Google Adwords "Networks" setting. I retain Google Search (when users search for my keywords on Google) and Google Search Network (when users search for my keywords on Google's search partners). The Google Search/Google Search Network displays ads on Google/Google partners search pages. There is a greater degree of exact matching between your Search Networks ad and the keyword(s) searched for. Minimum bid pricing for the Search Networks ads is typically higher than pricing for Content Network ads.

By "content" I am referring to the Content Network (when users visit sites on Google's content network that match my ad settings.) The Content Network displays your ads on publisher's web sites. There is a broader, less exact match between your Content Network ad and the keyword(s) searched for. For example, in Content Network, Google Adwords conducts broad matching only, and disregards any "exact phrase matches' or [exacttermmatch] keywords you may have created. Minimum bid pricing for Content Network ads is typically less than CPC pricing for Search Network ads.

Search Network is the default. You can also select Content Network when you first create a campaign, or at any time thereafter (but again, my experience has been that choosing your target networks at the time you originally create a campaign is optimal). If you also select Content Network, be sure to set your Content CPC bids, which would typically be lower than your CPC bids for the Search Network. If you don't set specific Content bids, then your Content Network CPC will default to your Search Network CPC bids.

And for heaven's sake, when entering your bids, watch where you place your decimals. Don't ask me how I know that. ;)

Last edited:
•••
netmeg said:
I'm still new enough not to know what $NP is, exactly.
The NP currency lets you do several things:

- Sell it to other NP members at an exchange rate
- Some members accept NP$ as form of payment
- Buy domain registrations through the NP registry
- Pay for services such as logos, designs
- Purchase site visits via the incentive options
- Buy Charity Ribbons and contribute to the NP charity fund
- Change your name, tag line,
- and many more things
- we don't have a vested 401k yet, .... ;)

M.

•••
Question for the pros

I have a computer related domain that does very well in Google search - well for a .ca
that is :) CTR about 8-9% for primary keyword. But...in the content network it gets no clicks at all. Avg position is 5.4. What would be the most likely reason for this?
(the campaign is set up for both search and content)

•••
packrat said:
I have a computer related domain that does very well in Google search - well for a .ca
that is :) CTR about 8-9% for primary keyword. But...in the content network it gets no clicks at all. Avg position is 5.4. What would be the most likely reason for this?
(the campaign is set up for both search and content)

How long has this campaign been running unchanged?

•••
goatish said:
How long has this campaign been running unchanged?

2 1/2 months

•••
Are you getting impressions?

Run the site placement report in your Reports console, and see which sites your ad has been running for the past couple months, to make sure it's targeting the right people.

•••
netmeg said:
Are you getting impressions?

Run the site placement report in your Reports console, and see which sites your ad has been running for the past couple months, to make sure it's targeting the right people.

Did the placement report for that adgroup for past 2 months:
0 impressions etc

In the report I picked "Ad placement" "Content"

Last edited:
•••
Sounds like Google may not like your campaign, or at least that ad group. Did it ever work? do you have any others that are working in the Content Network?

•••
netmeg said:
Sounds like Google may not like your campaign, or at least that ad group. Did it ever work? do you have any others that are working in the Content Network?

Yes, I have other domains that are OK for content. Could it have to do with the name of my adgroup? Maybe I'll try a content only campaign with that
domain with a more descriptive name for the adgroup.

Also - It seems that there are more settings available at the campaign level
than the adgroup level. I've been setting up campaigns to mirror my Parked
portfolios - Tech, Travel, etc. mayeb That's not the best way. Seems that
if you want a lot of control over an adgroup - cpc for content, etc that
you must do it at the campaign level. So I'm thinking I should in certain cases have one campaign per adgroup...

•••
packrat said:
Did the placement report for that adgroup for past 2 months:
0 impressions etc

In the report I picked "Ad placement" "Content"

I've had this happend a few times with some of my campaigns. as each ad for the content network needs to be reviewed, sometimes it just doesn't happen.

So I just edit one of the ads and put in a "." at the end or change it in some slight way to get it back in front of the one there reviewers. if all else falls your local google adwords centre and get them to check it on the spot.

•••
packrat said:
Maybe I'll try a content only campaign with that
domain with a more descriptive name for the adgroup.

I would be interested in hearing how your content-only campaign, created as an adjunct to an established campaign, performs. I've had poor results with my tests.

packrat said:
Also - It seems that there are more settings available at the campaign level than the adgroup level. ... Seems that
if you want a lot of control over an adgroup - cpc for content, etc that
you must do it at the campaign level.

You can and should set CPC for content for each individual ad group. In "Keywords" view for an ad group, click on the [Edit] link next to your Default Bid in the "Current Bid" column. This opens the "Edit Keywords and CPC" window, where you can change the Default Bid and the Content Bid. You can also edit your ad group Content CPC by going to the bottom of that "Keywords" view page and clicking on the [Edit] link adjacent to your current Content bid displayed in the "Content Network Total" row. Or you can do it by selecting "Edit Keywords" from the main menu as the CPC bid fields are available in the keyword editing window.

How you organize your Adwords campaigns vis a vis your Parked portfolios is a science unto itself. It's a balance between the maximum Adwords campaigns of 25, and best categorization of domains as ad groups within those categories that are relationally associated with Parked portfolios. And while I haven't used the function myself, I understand you can move Ad Groups from one Campaign to another using the Adwords Editor, so you can test out variable top level campaign environments, ie USA Search Only, USA Search and Content, USA and Canada Search and Content, etc.

•••
It's possible to get more than 25 campaigns if you ask. They'll want to know why you want them, and they probably take a look at your account to make sure you know what you're doing, but it can be done. I got mine raised to something over a hundred last year, although I'm not using anywhere near that on my own account as yet. I have client accounts with a 200 campaign limit (but they have something like 2500 products, and I'll probably have to ask for even more)

•••
I know of a few others who had their campaign limits set at 100+ a while ago, however, when I asked recently I was told to create linked accounts in MCC instead.

Has their been a recent policy change or perhaps my G rep was being a meanie? It's a pain starting a new account with no history.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back