NameSilo

PPC Traffic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Seems to be some interest in arbitrage so I'll start with this question about
Adwords - do you have to have at least one active keyword for search in order for your ad to be displayed on the content network.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
DnPresident said:
When you say Search and Content, Is this what Google calls Keyword Targeted and Placement Targeted? search=Keyword and Content=Placement?

No, those are just two different types of Content Network campaigns.

DnPresident said:
Also, if this is what you mean, I do not see that you are given the option of combining search and content ads into one campaign as you say . I see that you either have the option of clicking on a campaign to ad more ad groups of the same style, either keyword or placement. Or clicking on keyword targeted or placement targeted to create new campaign of either style but I'm seeing no way of combining the two.

You select either Search or Content in the Campaign Settings area.

As I mentioned before, Keyword Targeting and Placement Targeting are two *types* of Content Network advertising.

With Keyword Targeting, you select your keywords (and name your ad group) and Google decides which sites are likely to be relevant, and places your ads there. You can specify which sites you don't want your ads to appear on (like myspace or youtube) but you can't specify which ones you want. It's all done contextually.

If there is a site in the Content Network where you seem to be getting a lot of good traffic, (and if you are actually selling something, a site that you can tell is giving you conversions), or if you just think it would work really well for you, you would then use Placement Targeting. With Placement Targeting, you tell Google specifically which sites you want to advertise on. In some cases, you can even choose which section of the site you want your ad to appear on.

In addition, with Placement Targeting, you can refine it even further, by running either a CPC or a CPM campaign. With CPC, you are charged per click, with CPM, you are charged per 1000 impressions (I think the minimum is 25 cents per 1000 impressions) You'd mostly only want to do CPM if you were trying to establish brand recognition.

In my experience Placement Targeting tends to be more expensive than Keyword Targeting. But it might work for you, if you have a very focused niche, and the sites you are targeting are very relevant to that niche.

Bear in mind though - the site owners can, at any point, decide they don't want to show your ad, and add the domain to the competitive filter. They get up to 200 entries in that filter. So if you are Placement Targeting a site and don't see any impressions from it, it's possible they don't want ads for parked domains or thin affiliates on their site.

Hope that helps.

•••
Mike said:
^^ Outstanding!

I can't rep you anymore, apparently I'm too fond of you :hehe: Maybe we should just collectively start to send you flowers . :)

Thanks, but I have horrible allergies. Gets me out of all kinds of yard work.

However, I am not allergic to chocolate.

(ork ork)

•••
CDS123 said:
100% Agreed with GILSAN on the following comments;

There will allways be peaple that just don't listen to to those wise and more experienced domainers who dont really want this subject to come out in the open and probably cringe every time it surfaces, which is quite frequent.
Welcome to NamePros.
First post in a year? :)

•••
packrat said:
Seems to be some interest in arbitrage so I'll start with this question about
Adwords - do you have to have at least one active keyword for search in order for your ad to be displayed on the content network.

No. Think about it. You can run CN only campaigns.

•••
Avo19 said:
No. Think about it. You can run CN only campaigns.

OK - Thanks. I didn't know that. Are CN campaigns generally cheaper??

•••
yes.....a lot less actual clicks...but the cost can be cheaper....correct me if i'm wrong...

•••
tonyfloyd said:
yes.....a lot less actual clicks...but the cost can be cheaper....correct me if i'm wrong...

If you mean actual clicks i.e higher on AW, then no, I see much higher on CN then SN, even though lower CTR. This is because of higher impressions on CN.
If you're referring to Parked CTR, I often see 100%+ (due to multiple clicks) on Parked.

•••
I can't really advise on arbitrage, I don't know that much about it as yet.

I do, however, know from AdWords and AdSense issues.

The best resource for learning about AdWords is the AdWords Learning Center. It breaks down all or most parts of AdWords into easy lessons, that you can either take in a flash-based CBT mode (with accompanying audio) or else plain text lessons. At the end of every section, there is a quiz, if you want to take it. It gets updated all the time with new stuff - much more often than the AdWords Help files themselves. It was created as a preparation tool for those of us who became Certified Google AdWords Professionals, but anyone can use it. It'll take you a couple hours to go through the whole thing; only you can decide if it's worth the time. I think it is, in fact, I'm a GAP twice over, and I still go through every lesson and quiz at least three times a year, just to keep fresh. (There is some stuff in there that won't be useful, like invoicing in other countries, and VAT if you are US based, but you can ignore that stuff if it doesn't apply to you) It's FREE, all it takes is your time. Use it.

http://www.google.com/adwords/learningcenter/

The other very useful thing is the Google AdWords Seminar. If one comes to your area, GO. It'll be the best $300 (the price the last time I took one) you ever spent. I got all kinds of information I would never get from Google themselves; I started using what I'd learned THAT SAME DAY and made money from it. Heck, if they come back to Detroit, I'm going again.

Also, when you sign up for a seminar, they give you a $50 credit voucher for your AdWords as well, so it's really only $250 (or at least it was - check the site for latest pricing)

To find out if there is a seminar planned near you, or to request notification if they come to your area, go here:

http://services.google.com/ads_inquiry/awseminars

•••
•••
How do you run a CN 'only' campaign in adwords?

Is it by leaving the "default search CPC" box empty, and only entrying bid in the 'content CPC box'?

Please advise.

Thanks.

•••
No, you have to modify the campaign settings. If you're logged in to your AdWords account, check the box next to your campaign, and go into Edit Settings. On the right side of the page, under Networks, uncheck Google Search and Search Network, and check Content Network (and Content Bids, if you want)

Note - for the Content Network, you can set everything to broad match - the match types aren't used for Content, because there's really no searching. They just use your search words as a guide to knowing what your site is about.

Also note that for the Content Network, the name of the ad group is extremely important in determining what your site is about and which sites it will appear on. So you may want to pay more attention to how you name your ad groups in the Content Network.

One other hint - when I'm dealing with the Content Network, unless I'm particularly targeting that demographic (which I never am) I immediately add myspace.com and youtube.com to my negative sites list, so that my ads don't appear there. I usually don't want my ads on ebay, but I think they're in the Search Network, so if you are specifying Content only, you shouldn't appear there.

•••
netmeg said:
I immediately add myspace.com and youtube.com to my negative sites list, so that my ads don't appear there. I usually don't want my ads on ebay, but I think they're in the Search Network, so if you are specifying Content only, you shouldn't appear there.

Any reason why you exclude these site?

•••
netmeg said:
No, you have to modify the campaign settings. If you're logged in to your AdWords account, check the box next to your campaign, and go into Edit Settings. On the right side of the page, under Networks, uncheck Google Search and Search Network, and check Content Network (and Content Bids, if you want)

Note - for the Content Network, you can set everything to broad match - the match types aren't used for Content, because there's really no searching. They just use your search words as a guide to knowing what your site is about.

Also note that for the Content Network, the name of the ad group is extremely important in determining what your site is about and which sites it will appear on. So you may want to pay more attention to how you name your ad groups in the Content Network.

One other hint - when I'm dealing with the Content Network, unless I'm particularly targeting that demographic (which I never am) I immediately add myspace.com and youtube.com to my negative sites list, so that my ads don't appear there. I usually don't want my ads on ebay, but I think they're in the Search Network, so if you are specifying Content only, you shouldn't appear there.

Great suggestions.....Thanks.

Is it also possible to setup a Content only campaign using 'Adwords Editor' and then just upload it directly to adwords account?

Regards.

•••
Yep. You just set up the Networks in the Campaigns tab. Moreover, with AdWords Editor, it's real easy to just duplicate an existing Search Campaign, make some changes, set it to Content only, and upload it.

•••
Wonderful. Real Easy that way.

Thanks.

•••
Netmeg - Glad you're around :)

Any tips on how to name an adgroup for effective targeting in CN?

•••
I dunno, that's kind of hard to do without knowing a niche. The main thing I was trying to convey is that in the Content Network, ad group names are a lot more important. So that, for example, when I have search ad groups, I might put in little notes in the names like "Needs Work" or "Terms from Keyword Tool" or such - I don't do that for the Content Network.

Also - another neat feature of the AdWords Editor is that it allows you to make comments on everything you do, so you can remember why you did it. Only problem is, every time you completely reload an account, OR every time they update the Editor, you lose all your comments, so you have to export them and then load them back in.

•••
netmeg said:
I dunno, that's kind of hard to do without knowing a niche. The main thing I was trying to convey is that in the Content Network, ad group names are a lot more important. So that, for example, when I have search ad groups, I might put in little notes in the names like "Needs Work" or "Terms from Keyword Tool" or such - I don't do that for the Content Network.

Also - another neat feature of the AdWords Editor is that it allows you to make comments on everything you do, so you can remember why you did it. Only problem is, every time you completely reload an account, OR every time they update the Editor, you lose all your comments, so you have to export them and then load them back in.

Understood - thanks!

•••
netmeg said:
Yep. You just set up the Networks in the Campaigns tab. Moreover, with AdWords Editor, it's real easy to just duplicate an existing Search Campaign, make some changes, set it to Content only, and upload it.

Hi Netmeg,

Ok, I am setting up my 1st Content only Campaign using AdWords Editor.

Q1: So 'under' the 'Search Network' section --> select 'none' --> then check both the fields called 'content network' and 'content bids'? Right?

Q2: What happens if I do or don't select the field 'content bids'?

Thank you.

•••
rickkumar said:
Q1: So 'under' the 'Search Network' section --> select 'none' --> then check both the fields called 'content network' and 'content bids'? Right?

Right

rickkumar said:
Q2: What happens if I do or don't select the field 'content bids'?

Thank you.

Actually, if it's a Content Network only campaign, it doesn't matter. That field is really only used if you have a single campaign delivering to BOTH the Search and the Content Networks, and you want to set separate bids for each network. So it doesn't really matter if the Content Bids one is checked or not - if I implied otherwise, I misspoke myself.

•••
Thank you Netmeg.

Just did exactly that. Great help :)

•••
I hope you all gave netmeg her props/pos rep for her invaluable help on this.
She would never ask for it, but she sure deserves it.

•••
~ Cyberian ~ said:
I hope you all gave netmeg her props/pos rep for her invaluable help on this.
She would never ask for it, but she sure deserves it.

Agree 100%.

Somehow system is not letting me add any rep points
:td:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back