NameSilo

.Post goes live

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Don't you all love this. If we are going ahh ooh for .post and debating about It makes me look forward to the new tlds being released by ICANN and how lively this forum would become.

so true since the domainer/regular educated member/normal person somehow involved/knowledgeable with domains knows that this new stint of ICANN is just a big poncy scheme but the average godaddy visitor gets sucked in into buying the NEW tld's...that's sad :(

cheers

liquid

p.s back to topic.... dot post is for ...whom exactly?? lol

•••

Hey, guys,

I'm not rah, rahing the .post TLD.

I'm just pointing out a possible use.

While letters seem to be going the way of email, there are still packages to be delivered.

The last time I checked, no one has ever emailed a package.

Well, if that ever happens, that would be a major technological advance.

:)

•••
And i didn't want to piss on your turf, now having the insight/ more info about your profession/past i understand where you are coming from :)

Employees often think they know far more about their company than they do.

A postmaster won't know anything about the company finances that anyone else in the public wouldn't know, imho.

The USPS does have horrible future obligations they have to prepay. The only solution appears to most to be privatisation but that would basically change what the USPS is. I won't get into a debate about whether privatisation is good or bad.

•••
The only solution appears to most to be privatisation but that would basically change what the USPS is. I won't get into a debate about whether privatisation is good or bad.
The parcel business is a crowded market. So i don't know how a private entrepreneur would assume the massive loads of debt obligations, and hope to earn a profit at the same time.

What i can think of is China taking over USPS. So you'll have some Chinese guy dressed like Jacky Chan deliver your mail at your doorsteps.

Related takeover by the Chinese:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-09/a123-rescued-by-china-firm-draws-scrutiny-on-startup

•••
The parcel business is a crowded market. So i don't know how a private entrepreneur would assume the massive loads of debt obligations, and hope to earn a profit at the same time.

That's the key - they don't. The debt is removed, the company restructured.

•••
That's the key - they don't. The debt is removed, the company restructured.
Which means, it is officially bankrupt. Not just close to bankruptcy.

•••
Which means, it is officially bankrupt. Not just close to bankruptcy.

psssst, don't let iowadawg see this....LOL

liq.

•••

I vaguely remember a conversation on DomainTools (Jay Westerdal era, circa 2007) about the .post TLD.

He envisioned a system in which each person in the world could register a personal .post address and the use the domain name as an address.

For example, I could (for the sake of argument) register MsDomainer.post. Anyone could address an envelope (1st class or junk mail) or package to MsDomainer.post, and I would receive my mail, no matter how many times I moved (as long as I updated my address on the Post office data base).

Now, I suspect that this is a gTLD, designed for use by each country's P.O., so, then, it is more likely that each country post office would operate a second level TLD, so then my address could be MsDomainer.us.post.

My .post address could also be accepted for Whois info.

This system COULD work, as long as one could build a decent website on one's domain. (blogging, etc.)

I don't think it will be a money maker and that it won't be an investor's dream (because I think there might be restrictions on it, for example, one domain for each person/business).

If the P.O.'s are smart, they may even assign .post addresses and require customers to use it. (Years and years down the road).

Private postal businesses, such as UPS, could possibly reg UPS.Post and Fedex.post. It may even be by country code, such as UPS.us.Post.

If the system works in this manner, then I would probably register ONE domain for myself and one for my husband.

Such a TLD could change the way that physical mail gets delivered.

I could definitely see this working, the problem is though...

It would take huge amounts of capital to get it to actually work, HOWEVER as you've later stated if the postal services aren't on board it would be a huge failure.

I could see the .post owner/owners, charging for us.post (to United states postal services) and aus.post (to Australia post) for example, which would help with the cost of .post but then each country would be responsible for updating their respective database etc etc etc....

Also I think the country levels would have to charge for the service, something like a redirect fee, or a yearly fee for the name, ie if I was to get Nathan.us.post nobody in the US could register Nathan as a .us.post, therefore I could see huge amounts of money for premium names like that, over say 10 years, you'd end up with names like nathan82734.us.post etc... I don't really see how it would work in the long run, but a great idea to get it started....

•••
•••
what does .post refer and is it related to postal services?

•••
I think perhaps this is the kind of progress.Since it is new, there is always a role.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back