Domain Empire

.Post goes live

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The postal service, as we know it, is clinically dead.

•••
•••
us.post has a nice ring to it
aus.post as well

•••
Every new extension is more pointless than the previous.
Amazing. Icann should reserve .fail for themselves.

•••

Haha! .fail would be a smash, imagine all the sites for that sTLD(sponsoredTLD)!

Chase.fail
BAC.fail

The possibilities! :bah:

•••

I heard its a new strategy. Theyre giving up on traditional mail...now DHL and UPS can now start upping their prices... to focus on a new niche market they are calling electronic mail. They appear to think this new electronic "mail" is the future

Last edited:
•••
Can we or will we be able to purchase a .post?
I can think of a few I'd like

•••
They appear to think this new electronic "mail" is the future
Until they realize that electronic stamps are being given away free of charge.

•••
Until they realize that electronic stamps are being given away free of charge.

But they will sell custom "addresses". Those things can fetch decent money.

•••

Excuse me?
The UNITED STATE POSTAL SERVICE is not dead!

Take the damn government away from them and they would make mincemeat of ups and fedex.

•••

I believe, it's restricted to postal services only, although you'd think they want some help with there renewal fee for the sTLD so who knows...

•••

My thoughts exactly!

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Would expect it to be restricted to Postal service providers only! Setting up shop soon? :)

•••

If they will allow public registration they will make the same mistake like .pro :)

•••
Thanks for the answers everyone, guess I was getting my hopes up for forum.post and blog.post :)

•••

I vaguely remember a conversation on DomainTools (Jay Westerdal era, circa 2007) about the .post TLD.

He envisioned a system in which each person in the world could register a personal .post address and the use the domain name as an address.

For example, I could (for the sake of argument) register MsDomainer.post. Anyone could address an envelope (1st class or junk mail) or package to MsDomainer.post, and I would receive my mail, no matter how many times I moved (as long as I updated my address on the Post office data base).

Now, I suspect that this is a gTLD, designed for use by each country's P.O., so, then, it is more likely that each country post office would operate a second level TLD, so then my address could be MsDomainer.us.post.

My .post address could also be accepted for Whois info.

This system COULD work, as long as one could build a decent website on one's domain. (blogging, etc.)

I don't think it will be a money maker and that it won't be an investor's dream (because I think there might be restrictions on it, for example, one domain for each person/business).

If the P.O.'s are smart, they may even assign .post addresses and require customers to use it. (Years and years down the road).

Private postal businesses, such as UPS, could possibly reg UPS.Post and Fedex.post. It may even be by country code, such as UPS.us.Post.

If the system works in this manner, then I would probably register ONE domain for myself and one for my husband.

Such a TLD could change the way that physical mail gets delivered.

•••

I vaguely remember a conversation on DomainTools (Jay Westerdal era, circa 2007) about the .post TLD.

He envisioned a system in which each person in the world could register a personal .post address and the use the domain name as an address.

For example, I could (for the sake of argument) register MsDomainer.post. Anyone could address an envelope (1st class or junk mail) or package to MsDomainer.post, and I would receive my mail, no matter how many times I moved (as long as I updated my address on the Post office data base).

Now, I suspect that this is a gTLD, designed for use by each country's P.O., so, then, it is more likely that each country post office would operate a second level TLD, so then my address could be MsDomainer.us.post.

My .post address could also be accepted for Whois info.

This system COULD work, as long as one could build a decent website on one's domain. (blogging, etc.)

I don't think it will be a money maker and that it won't be an investor's dream (because I think there might be restrictions on it, for example, one domain for each person/business).

If the P.O.'s are smart, they may even assign .post addresses and require customers to use it. (Years and years down the road).

Private postal businesses, such as UPS, could possibly reg UPS.Post and Fedex.post. It may even be by country code, such as UPS.us.Post.

If the system works in this manner, then I would probably register ONE domain for myself and one for my husband.

If done along the lines of private postal address, .post could be the most successful tld ever!

•••
^ Sounds like a merge of .name and .tel.

•••
^ Sounds like a merge of .name and .tel.

There's that possibility as well.

In any case, .post offers UNLIKELY investment possibilty for domainers.

Also, if major postal services aren't on board, then it will be a colossal failure.

:)

.Name could have served the same purpose, but it was probably advertised in a different way, more of a personal space, which, as we all know, isn't that profitable.

In the case of .tel: this space should have been awarded (at least 10 years earlier) to a company that had actual telephone/mobile interests and infrastructure. At the very least, it should have been later sold to such a company.

Also, .tel should have never been approved without the option of building a website. In 2009, I did not see this as a problem, but by 2012, I have come to a different conclusion.

•••

If only people still send "physical mail" enough to prevent the US Postal Service from going bankrupt.

From the news:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/04/us-postal-service-faces-b_n_1127989.html

The System you mentioned, would be like the snail-mail version of the Domain Name Server (DNS), which maps a domain name to its corresponding IP address.

Unfortunately, it will fail the Practicality Test in the real-world.

You have to realize that the MAILMAN who is the physical human being who actually delivers your snail mail to your house, MUST know your real physical address to deliver it to you. Which means, some TRANSLATION must take place in the post office to change your "MsDomainer.post" to "Apt. 123, DomainProxy Avenue, Scottsdale, AZ, USA"

That would be an added cost and burden to the post office. Most likely, they will have to printout your translated real home address, and paste it to the snail mail for convenience to the Mailman who will deliver the mail.

If you want the entire planet to adopt this kind of system, it would be a huge global infrastructure change. Just like when the world started to transition to using Bar Codes.

Again, such a huge investment in real-world platform change would have little meaning if very few people are sending snail mail these days.

Not to mention the huge privacy protection investment that the Post Office has to incorporate into such system, because now the home addresses of people are stored in some central repository database that can be hacked just like credit cards. Which means, they have to spend money to maintain this privacy protection just like what Visa and Mastercard are doing.

Does the cash flow of the Postal Service, enough to justify such gizmo in a time when postal mail is declining?

In the end, the concept may be interesting on paper. But no longer practical to build.

•••
The USPS already has a website.
So no need for them to duplicate everything by getting a new domain at .post.

And I don't see Canada Post and Royal Mail wasting money and time getting the same at .post.

In fact, I really see no postal service in the world beating a path to .post.

•••
Excuse me?
The UNITED STATE POSTAL SERVICE is not dead!

Take the damn government away from them and they would make mincemeat of ups and fedex.

dawg, your patriotism set aside(and i admire it) but the usps is on the brink of bankruptcy, sometimes it helps to browse other sites then fauxnews lol

And i agree that the gov has to many fingers into their biz but then on a side note it would be too late anyway to privatize them, don't you think? (fedex and ups are just too big)

cheers

liquid

•••
Faux news sites? hahahha

Son, I am a retired United States Postal Service Postmaster.

I know a bit more than what is told on the news, I have contacts from retired postmasters, supervisors and others throughout the US, I have contacts withing the postal service, etc etc etc.

So they are losing money, but it is because of the damn government oversight, congress screwing with them, and a bit more.,

•••
Faux news sites? hahahha

Son, I am a retired United States Postal Service Postmaster.

I know a bit more than what is told on the news, I have contacts from retired postmasters, supervisors and others throughout the US, I have contacts withing the postal service, etc etc etc.

So they are losing money, but it is because of the damn government oversight, congress screwing with them, and a bit more.,

looking at your avatar i could be your son, alright...:)

And i didn't want to piss on your turf, now having the insight/ more info about your profession/past i understand where you are coming from :)

peace and out

liquid

•••
Don't you all love this. If we are going ahh ooh for .post and debating about It makes me look forward to the new tlds being released by ICANN and how lively this forum would become.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back