Dynadot

security Possible Scam...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
ok, I'm not sure this is a scam, but it has the potential to be one.

I am the MOST cautious person I know and never click links in emails. I've also received most of the Domain-related scams trying to get me to open attachments or click links, etc...

This was a new one. I got the usual email to verify domain name contacts. I usually ignore them if I know everything is fine with my domain names.

However, one of the domain names was a 4-letter name. I have similar names as the one in the email, but I wasn't sure I owned that one. I have about 300 4-letter names, so I do lose track.

So I just type in the domain name to see if it went to my Efty Marketplace with my default landing page. But it turned out to be some other site, that automatically kicked off a popup window to load another page.

I immediately killed my browser, and powered off my iPhone.

Again, I am not sure this was a scam, but just in case it is... Maybe they just wanted me to visit a site and that could somehow get information off my phone???

Regards,
DN

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

did the email come from your registrar?
if so, which one and did you check the full header?

if not, then most likely the email was click bait

imo...

•••
This looked like a legit GoDaddy email to confirm contacts. I get these just about everyday with over 1,400 domain names. So I basically ignore them.

The difference with this one was it was for a 4-letter domain name that was very similar to several 4-letter names I do own. But it made me second-guess myself so I just typed in the name into a browser to see if it went to my marketplace -- but it did not.

So is the scam to send a 4-letter name that is close to names for an owner -- enough to get that owner to type in the 4-letter name into a browser???

Again, I do not know if this was a scam. But I got nervous because I typed in the 4-letter .com and it had several foreign sites with popups...

•••
This looked like a legit GoDaddy email to confirm contacts

typically, such emails come just before renewal time

I get them from enom as well

reason I asked to check email header, is to be sure it actually came from your registrar
since it was godaddy, i'd double check.

also, it could be a name that you no longer own, which still had your whois in database

perhaps if you haven't done so,
prolly should put your list in a spreadsheet or notepad file, just to keep abreast of your holdings

imo...
….

•••
To be on a safe side, it would have been better you logged into your account at your registrar and checked if it's yours.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back