NameSilo

Possible Scam-Need advice

Labeled as advice in General Domain Discussion, started by Yaseeny15, Feb 26, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. Yaseeny15

Yaseeny15 Established Member

Hi All
    I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding a possible scam.
    So basically I registered a domain hack in 2016 and I thought it was supposed to be on auto-renew but due to the registrar it did not auto-renew and I lost it. Yesterday I got an offer on DAN.com for the domain which was a ridiculously high amount compared to what it is worth (also I do not remember ever putting the domain on sale at DAN.com). Anyway when I got the offer I obviously when to look for the domain on my registrar and then found out it had not renewed. I checked the WhoIs for the domain and found out it was registered to someone else on the 19th of February 2020. I find it a bit suspicious that it was registered on the 19th and then 6 days later this crazy offer comes in. Could this be someone trying to entice me into buying the domain back from them thinking that if I do I would surely sell it on DAN.com for such a high amount and they possibly put that high offer on DAN.com themselves?
    I would appreciate any advice
    Thank you

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Lox

Lox _____ VIP Gold Account

it happens everywhere @ any aftermarket place. The title doesn’t look good - leave Dan out. Yes, lots of organized groups or individuals trying to figure out how to make a money - including this kind of tactics.

Regards

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  3. Yaseeny15

Thank you for the advice. Sorry my bad I did not realize. I have taken it out of the title.

4. timestamp

timestamp Established Member

Or it is just a message for you to remove domain you no longer own from marketplace(s).

5. Yaseeny15

Yes of course will definitely remove it. I was just wondering what was going on because I do not even remember putting it up for sale there

6. GoWebnames.com

GoWebnames.com Truth alone triumphs VIP

yes, very common. most likely a scam.

7. lock

lock FREE.MARKETING VIP

It is a scam no doubt about it. Keep in mind what domains you advertise and when you drop or sell domains to edit other marketplaces as this will happen every time you leave one.

8. Yaseeny15

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely keep an eye out for that in the future.

9. Lord Antares

Lord Antares Top Contributor VIP

It does sound like the new owner wants you to buy the domain off him.

10. Yaseeny15

Yep that is what I thought as well.

11. Arfy

Arfy Aphrodite.com VIP

You must have listed it there if you are receiving offers for it through DAN?

12. AdamFL

AdamFL Established Member

I don't think it's a coincidence, It's definitely a scam.
    it's sad how some people are always finding new tactics to scam people and make money.

13. Yaseeny15

That is what I find quite weird. I went through my emails looking for anything related to DAN.com for the past few years and I cannot find anything. No activation email or emails confirming my account and I do not recall listing the name there. But anyway it is sorted out now.

14. Yaseeny15

Thank you for the advice. yeah it is quite sad but I guess where there is money there will always be scams. Scammers find new ways all the time and they are getting more sophisticated.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice