IT.COM

discuss Possible sanctions for Russia and Russians in the field of domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Igor Gabrielan

.ai .mv .botTop Member
Impact
The authorities of Ukraine turned to the ICANN with a request to block the domain zone .ru and other domain zones of Russia.
Is it possible to block all domain names owned by Russians, that is, in zones .com .org .uk , etc.?
Now there are restrictions and sanctions for Cuba and Iran for the zones .cu .ir .
Probably there are restrictions for other states. But how wide are they? Can similar or even greater sanctions be applied to Russia?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
)))))))) shit, you know how to read wikipedia )))) still zero knowledge on the subject )))) there is no way Russian gas can be replaced within the next few years without an absolutely severe impact on European economy and ordinary people lives...

True. My neighbours heating/energy bill went up from €150 to €500 /month. Filling up your car is not an amusing experience either.

It does affect a lot of people, inflation, interest, housing.

The EU will hurt... But worth it to stop Putin.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Btw... Most companies aren't even touching Russian oil... It's trading well under market value...

Last edited:
•••
•••
Btw... Most companies aren't even touching Russian oil... It's trading well under market value...
Correct. Main reason is as follows (MarketWatch):

That geopolitical risk premium takes into account not only the risk of damage to oil facilities due to military action or potential Western sanctions, but also reflects soaring insurance costs to ship Russian oil. He observed that freight rates for oil coming out of both the Black Sea and Baltic sea more than tripling over the space of a few days as crude-oil buyers struggled to find shippers willing to send vessels into Russian ports (see chart below).

•••
Correct. Main reason is as follows (MarketWatch):

That geopolitical risk premium takes into account not only the risk of damage to oil facilities due to military action or potential Western sanctions, but also reflects soaring insurance costs to ship Russian oil. He observed that freight rates for oil coming out of both the Black Sea and Baltic sea more than tripling over the space of a few days as crude-oil buyers struggled to find shippers willing to send vessels into Russian ports (see chart below).

Correct. And that's only going to get worse when the US bans the import of oil/gas... China will probably have a good time scooping some up at bargain prices.

No wonder they 'like' Russia that much... Lots of things up for grabs atm... If ethics are not any of your concern obviously.

•••
just let Putin lose

on putin lose the consequences will be too severe for all russian citizens(USA almost never rollbacks sanctions), and everybody in russia understands this, so now even apolitical ones are secretly rooting for putin ;)

•••
:)))) good fantastic opus ))))) fables and ukranian wet fantasies combined together. Even the style, how it's written - it's exactly of how ukrainians and very small part of russian liberals want to hear it.... ))))

I do sincerely hope it's based on facts

murders should not succeed

•••
on putin lose the consequences will be too severe for all russian citizens(USA almost never rollbacks sanctions), and everybody in russia understands this, so now even apolitical ones are secretly rooting for putin ;)

that makes sense
but it's the only way out

Last edited:
•••
•••
I'm an American and as much as I despise the actions of Putin's Russia against Ukraine, I think any move to restrict any country using the ICANN or a targeted domain ending such as .ru just sets a bad precedent as a whole for entrepreneurs and a free internet. I dislike Russia but I would even more so dislike a fractured and more fragile internet ecosystem globally. It's a slippery slope that we shouldn't even go down.

Furthermore it's not every day citizens that should be punished, but rather Putin, the Russian military, and Russian elites. We should not wish for hardships that primarily affect normal every day Russian citizens as any proposed ICANN / TLD disruption may cause. I hope most of us here could get behind that.

The scope of a wide ranging disruption of access to any or all of ICANN's TLDs is too large in scope and should not even be attempted. And again, I say this as someone who 100% supports Ukraine and is very much against the Russian invasion.

Last edited:
•••
I'm an American and as much as I despise the actions of Putin's Russia against Ukraine, I think any move to restrict any country using the ICANN or a targeted domain ending such as .ru just sets a bad precedent as a whole for entrepreneurs and a free internet. I dislike Russia but I would even more so dislike a fractured and more fragile internet ecosystem globally. It's a slippery slope that we shouldn't even go down.

Furthermore it's not every day citizens that should be punished, but rather Putin, the Russian military, and Russian elites. We should not wish for hardships that primarily affect normal every day Russian citizens as any proposed ICANN / TLD disruption may cause. I hope most of us here could get behind that.

The scope of a wide ranging disruption of access to any or all of ICANN's TLDs is too large in scope and should not even be attempted. And again, I say this as someone who 100% supports Ukraine and is very much against the Russian invasion.

when there are no iPhone updates and Gucci bags no more
the Russian will become pissed

Putin needs to justify what he is doing to his people
maybe he will need to stop

every sanction serves this plan
the more sanctions the sooner murdering might come to an end

when Germany did the same thing to the world
Hamburg was put on fire
and Dresden was turned into a desert

people are the ones who suffer in war

Russia started the war
think about it

1646734597981.png

Last edited:
•••
:)))) good fantastic opus ))))) fables and ukranian wet fantasies combined together. Even the style, how it's written - it's exactly of how ukrainians and very small part of russian liberals want to hear it.... ))))
1646735117574.png

•••

Putin needs to justify what he is doing to his people
maybe he will need to stop

every sanction serves this plan
the more sanctions the sooner murdering might come to an end

The thing that most you guys don't understand at all is that it's not how Russian psychology works. What you described would be 100% the case for Europeans, but not for Russians. With Russians it's totally the other way around. The more shit you throw at them, and the more sanctions you implement, the more they think that Putin is doing the right thing and gather around him in full support.
It's 0,1% who would care about Gucci and iPhones, so, no need to repeat idiotic twits of Josep Borell (about ''no shopping in Milan and Gucci bags''). Everyone laughs at these claims in Russia.

•••
The thing that most you guys don't understand at all is that it's not how Russian psychology works. What you described would be 100% the case for Europeans, but not for Russians. With Russians it's totally the other way around. The more shit you throw at them, and the more sanctions you implement, the more they think that Putin is doing the right thing and gather around him in full support.
It's 0,1% who would care about Gucci and iPhones, so, no need to repeat idiotic twits of Josep Borell (about ''no shopping in Milan and Gucci bags''). Everyone laughs at these claims in Russia.
Interesting! But like you said, there's a percentage of people who care about luxuries or non-essential products.

An interesting fact about Russia, according to Wikipedia, some 20-30 million ethnic Russians live abroad. I wonder how it'll be for them now.

Last edited:
•••
There will be a black market, it will cost more, but will still be available.

imo

•••
There will be plenty of Chinese fakes.
Maybe the Russians will create their own domain name system and their own cheburnet. But you still need to apply sanctions and limit them. A pack of predators can rally around their leader, but they can also eat him if he is unlucky. Who will be their new leader, and what will he do next, that is the question.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Why is this political sh*t thread allowed to stay in General Domain Discussion section? Don't Namepros have separate section for haters of all kinds?

Last edited:
•••
101domain.com

Due to the current situation in Ukraine/Russia, we are suspending new registrations and transfer-in of all Russian domain names.

•••
Last night, Russian pilots dropped 500-kilogram bombs on residential buildings on Romenskaya and Spartak streets in the city of Sumy.
18 civilians were killed, including 2 children. The exact number of victims is being established.
This is a crime against peaceful humanity, for which every guilty person must be punished.

https://no_url_shorteners/s/RidddleSpace

•••
you are right. that I didn't know. thanks.

anyway. I'm for more sanctions.

•••
Back