IT.COM

discuss Possible sanctions for Russia and Russians in the field of domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Igor Gabrielan

.ai .mv .botTop Member
Impact
The authorities of Ukraine turned to the ICANN with a request to block the domain zone .ru and other domain zones of Russia.
Is it possible to block all domain names owned by Russians, that is, in zones .com .org .uk , etc.?
Now there are restrictions and sanctions for Cuba and Iran for the zones .cu .ir .
Probably there are restrictions for other states. But how wide are they? Can similar or even greater sanctions be applied to Russia?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I mentioned this in another thread, but ICANN should be a neutral 3rd party and treated like a regulated utility.
They should not be messing with people's domains, the DNS root servers, etc.

If private companies take some type of action that is another story, but ICANN should (and will) stay out of it IMO.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Additionally, if there was massive overreach I am pretty sure industry trade groups that represent registrant/digital rights like the ICA (InternetCommerce.org), Electronic Frontier Foundation (eff.org), and many others would have something to say about it.

Brad
You are right, it's not moral and it's not fair. But let's imagine for a second that all these restrictions, including ICANN, would have been under Ukraine control, would that be fair or still discrimination? Also, let's imagine that instead of Ukraine, it would have been US, would that been discrimination? I can bet that minutes after Russia attacking, all these restrictions would have been imposed, including others, like closing borders, seizing everything russian, ICANN and hundreds more, which I can't think about. Would that be still discrimination against russians? Of course not, this is a war, the only thing is that Putin targeted a weaker enemy, which wasn't ready to defend itself and which wasn't integrated properly in Europe. For example, Putin sent a letter now, threatening Finland and Sweden with military consequences, if they think about NATO( and they don't have any russians minorities there, to find a pretext), do you think it would be the same? Europe and US would reply in seconds, with everything and nobody would think that it's discrimination or not moral.

Last edited:
•••
The authorities of Ukraine turned to the ICANN with a request to block the domain zone .ru and other domain zones of Russia.
Is it possible to block all domain names owned by Russians, that is, in zones .com .org .uk , etc.?
Now there are restrictions and sanctions for Cuba and Iran for the zones .cu .ir .
Probably there are restrictions for other states. But how wide are they? Can similar or even greater sanctions be applied to Russia?
It looks we've intersected a bit in some forum threads just a couple of weeks ago. I haven't noticed you treating me as an enemy then. Right, because there was no war. And you didn't know I was from Russia. Now that's changed. But what has changed between you and me, personally, right now, at this moment? Does my geographical location work like a switch, "Is the enemy" ON/OFF?

I hate this war. Not because of the sanctions it has caused, but the war itself in essence. I know that my country had the reasons not to be happy with some things going in Ukraine; actually, this spiral of disaster has been launched neither by Russia nor Ukraine, the nature of that process is known pretty well; but in spite of anything, I don't see any possibility of accepting the war between our countries. I've already shared my position here. The only thing I would change there is the sentence about sharing the same core values etc. - I was probably too pathetic and idealistic. Definitely, we can be very different. But there are definitely many people in Russia sharing my point of view, that the war is not an option.

Finally, I understand that loosing one's domains doesn't count at all seeing all that happenning in Ukraine (and isn't expected to help, looks more like the revenge to random people); but I'm more upset with me getting the 'enemy' label in your eyes here, on this forum, speaking personally, and my countrymen all over the world regardless of their attitude. I still hope this madness ends soon. Sorry.

Last edited:
•••
)))))))) shit, you know how to read wikipedia )))) still zero knowledge on the subject )))) there is no way Russian gas can be replaced within the next few years without an absolutely severe impact on European economy and ordinary people lives...

True. My neighbours heating/energy bill went up from €150 to €500 /month. Filling up your car is not an amusing experience either.

It does affect a lot of people, inflation, interest, housing.

The EU will hurt... But worth it to stop Putin.

•••
I haven't noticed you treating me as an enemy then.

I don't think of you personally as an enemy.
Every Russian I have dealt with and every Ukrainian was a great guy

Nothing changes my view in this regard.

But in order to stop the attack on Ukraine
every sanction has to be effective right now.

That is the only way we know of,
that means no weaponized war

Sorry.
Really sorry for the Russian people,
who suffer from that
who do not support Putin's war.

Whoever that may be.

•••
sanctions?
oh yes,
as fast and as many as thinkable.

1646749740697.png

sanctions?
oh yes,
as fast and as many as thinkable.

Last edited:
•••
The stronger you push, the stronger we consolidate. That's our historical consciousness.
Sometimes you consolidate against your government, which has brought you to a bad life (1917, 1991).

•••
ICAAN responded regarding domain names:

ICANN is an independent technical organization that manages the Internet’s unique identifiers. ICANN is a facilitator of the security, stability, and resiliency of these identifiers with the objective of a single, global, interoperable Internet. In our role as the technical coordinator of
unique identifiers for the Internet, we take actions to ensure that the workings of the Internet are not politicized, and we have no sanction-levying authority. Essentially, ICANN has been built toensure that the Internet works, not for its coordination role to be used to stop it from working.

As you know, the Internet is a decentralized system. No one actor has the ability to control it or shut it down. ICANN’s primary role, through the functions of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA), is to ensure the consistent and unique assignment of Internet identifiers in line with global policies.
Source : onlinedomain.com
https://onlinedomain.com/2022/03/04...for-sanctions-targeting-russia-icann-refuses/

•••

US House and Senate lawmakers have a deal on outline of bill to punish Russia

From CNN's Manu Raju

In a significant statement, four top lawmakers — the leaders of the House Ways and Means Committee and the Senate Finance Committee — said they would craft a bill that would suspend normal trade relations with Russia and Belarus and provide the White House with authority to increase tariffs on the two countries.
In addition, the agreement — announced by the top Republican on House Ways and Means, Kevin Brady, and the Ways and Means Chair Richard Neal, along with the top Republican on Senate Finance, Mike Crapo, and Finance Chair Ron Wyden — would do the following, according to a statement released by their offices:

• Provide US President Joe Biden with authority to further increase tariffs on products of Russia and Belarus
  • Require the US Trade Representative to use the voice and influence of the United States to seek suspension of Russia’s participation in the World Trade Organization (WTO) and halt Belarus’ WTO accession
  • Provide the President with authority to restore normal trade relations with Russia and Belarus subject to certain conditions and congressional disapproval
Also noting that the lawmakers say in their statement: "We have agreed on a legislative path forward to ban the import of energy products from Russia and to suspend normal trade relations with both Russia and Belarus."

•••
Btw... Most companies aren't even touching Russian oil... It's trading well under market value...

Last edited:
•••
•••
Agreed for the most part. Except that, no big impact provided it stops to Europe, which is not the case, not until 2030, according to some analysis.
As far as the EU is saying, the first target was 2030, but because of this, the new target is summer of 2023, to replace at least 85% of gas from Russia, they have already started diversification at high speed, investing billions in couple of weeks.

•••
Who controls ccTLDs?
Each country's government, so ICANN can't ban .ru. They have power over .com and .org, but not over .uk, the UK government it's running the last one's. What they can do, and not necessary ICANN, but governments of each country, can ban ip's from Russia or block them for each country, by the government or block tens of thousands of .com or .ru at a time. China it's doing this at a large scale, Russia it's doing this for some western and local domains and even european countries block some. I owned a 5L .com taken down by ICANN, in a bulk of 130k .com domains, without even not letting me know.

Last edited:
•••
Additionally, if there was massive overreach I am pretty sure industry trade groups that represent registrant/digital rights like the ICA (InternetCommerce.org), Electronic Frontier Foundation (eff.org), and many others would have something to say about it.

Brad

•••
First, some registrar wants to punish the Russian population by kicking them out.

Now some domainer wants to punish them by selling their domains at auction & use the money to destroy Russia.

While NATO on more than one occasion today said there will be no (no fly zone, no fighter jets sent to Ukraine, no confrontation with Russia). There are even some reports the EU imports of Russian energy have increased since the beginning of the war.

Looks like Ukraine will be liberated by emotional domainers.

Just remember, we are talking about the nation with the most nuclear warheads on earth, so think twice before you switch off their lights.
Not a domainer, an ukrainian domainer, who probably lost relatives just now because of russians.
US has roughly the same amounts of nuclear warheads, not including everything else. Russia doesn't have the economy to survive a war of months, EU and US can do it for years.

Last edited:
•••
Please don't tell me about NATO. Its expansion to the East and violation of the corresponding non-expansion agreement signed during dismissing the USSR is the main root cause of the chaos taking place in the former Soviet Union space right now and during the previous years. From the very beginning, the new Russia has been treated like a dangerous beast which should be surrounded with nuclear missiles. Our integration into the world ecosystem was an up-hill battle. Then the series of the orchestrated "orange" revolutions across the neighbor countries with the perspective of getting even more missiles under our very nose, and so on up till now. I'm against the war and don't know what's in the mind of Putin, but let's be aware of the fact that it was not Russia standing at the origins of all this chain of sorrowful events.

I have nothing to add regarding the initial question, so leaving the thread, as it has changed its topic as usual. Hope for peace soon, take care.
What you don't seem to understand is that Nato and every other country joining it does not force anybody, if they want, they can extend in Asia and Africa, is their choice and countries choice. What Russia is doing is taking and attacking countries by force and this is not possible in 2022. If nobody want's to play with you, stay at home or find somebody who want's , but don't start attacking, outside Russia is not russians issue, if they are not welcomed anywhere.

Last edited:
•••
but I'm more upset with me getting the 'enemy' label in your eyes here, on this forum, speaking personally, and my countrymen all over the world regardless of their attitude. I still hope this madness ends soon. Sorry.
The most of the world is not talking about russians as the enemy, but about your dictator, Putin. He is the main responsible of the invasion and mass bombing in Ukraine.
You will see almost every country talking about Putin's war and Putin's aggression, not russian.
But I think that you will understand that when a dictator invades a peaceful country, the country of the dictator will be isolated and sanctioned. That's how it works. Russian people must understand that what's doing now Putin the dictator is not right, and it will have consequences.
Maybe it will sound like a "fantasy" as somebody has told me in this forum, but if you guys, russian people, good and hard workers, go right now to the streets and protest against the war, Putin simply won't be able to jail 146 million russians. So russian people also have something to say, or to do, stopping this war.
If you feel the pain of the isolation and the economy crash, it's up to you to get it and think, it's because west countries are very bad, or maybe because you have a crazy dictator in Russia right now that has invaded a sovereign country (your brothers by the way) and is bombing and mass killing right now its citizens.
It's up to you, russian people, to believe Putin's lies or open your eyes and see what's really happening right now.
I am really sorry for the most of the good russian people, hard workers, that will feel the Russia isolation right now, but I am also very sorry for the thousands of ukrainian people, also good people and hard workers, fighting right now for their freedom, for their country, for their lives. They are a free country with a democracy and they don't want lose it and be again under the rules of a dictator like Putin. That's why the are fighting so much right now against the invasion by a quite more powerful country in terms of weaponry.

Putin is a dictator and he wants to have Ukraine under his control with a puppet government there, like it was for many years until they woke up and wanted to live in a real democracy. Putin wants Ukraine to be again a puppet country like it is right now Belarus. A dictator that hates to see Ukraine (your brothers) having a real democracy, with real elections and freedom of choice.
Peace

Last edited:
•••
According to the British "Times", the Russian secret service FSB is looking at the invasion of Ukraine with the greatest concern. The newspaper refers to an FSB whistleblower who has critically summarized the situation in a document leaked by Russian opposition members. According to an FSB insider, the war was a "total failure" and Russia's current situation was comparable to the decline of Nazi Germany.

https://www.spiegel.de/ausland/ukra...rsagen-a-952c94f9-d213-4acc-8689-ff1bc4a758de

Translations:
https://www.franks.info/ein-insider-aus-dem-russischen-geheimdienst/

Last edited:
•••
Have you seen price on gas and oil lately? )))) Gas at $3800 and oil at $135... Enjoy your sanctions :)))
Ask for more, don't be shy ))))
I don't mind paying more for gas.

Enjoy the collapse of the Ruble, all your assets, and the world wanting nothing to do with your country.
Russia's small economy will go bankrupt before the rest of the world does.

Enjoy the lack of freedoms and censorship.

Enjoy the shame it brings for generations to come.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I just got back from St Petersbourg - zero panic. Of course, there are problems and some people worry, but there is nothing to write home about

looks like we need to enforce more sanctions

coinbase just shut the cryptos down for russians

... lost.

Last edited:
•••
Btw... Most companies aren't even touching Russian oil... It's trading well under market value...
Correct. Main reason is as follows (MarketWatch):

That geopolitical risk premium takes into account not only the risk of damage to oil facilities due to military action or potential Western sanctions, but also reflects soaring insurance costs to ship Russian oil. He observed that freight rates for oil coming out of both the Black Sea and Baltic sea more than tripling over the space of a few days as crude-oil buyers struggled to find shippers willing to send vessels into Russian ports (see chart below).

•••
Why is this political sh*t thread allowed to stay in General Domain Discussion section? Don't Namepros have separate section for haters of all kinds?

Last edited:
•••
Dear valued clients and friends,

It is with a heavy heart as we watch the events continue to unfold in Ukraine, that I want to update you on what 101domain is doing to address the situation.

Our hearts and prayers go out to Ukrainians on the ground and around the world, families and friends tragically affected by the ongoing actions of the Russian government and military.

Effective immediately, we are taking the following actions:
  • Suspending new business operations, including accepting new accounts, orders and transfer ins for all customers located in Russia;
  • Suspending new registrations and transfer in of all Russian domain names: .ru, .com.ru, .net.ru, .org.ru, .pp.ru, .msk.ru, .spb.ru, .рф (.xn--p1ai), .москва (.xn--80adxhks), .рус (.xn--p1acf), .дети (.xn--d1acj3b), .su, .tatar
We will continue to process renewals of existing services for the time being, however this may change at any time and without notice.

If you are located in Ukraine and are having trouble paying for or renewing your services, please submit a support ticket and we’ll do what we can to help you.

We will continue to monitor the situation and update you accordingly.

Sincerely,

Anthony M. Beltran
President / CEO
101domain.com

Last edited:
•••
Do you like China?
The Chinese bought a lot of .ai names from me, but I don't like their government. This is the same axis of evil as Russia.

•••
Have there been other discussions of this on this forum before?
But does ICANN have the technical capabilities to implement the sanctions I'm talking about (blocking Russia's domain zones .ru .РФ ...)?
Do they have the technical abilities....could they comb the WHOIS databases and disable every domain with a Russian registrant? I guess.

They also have a large role when it comes to the root servers.

Generally ICANN is not looking to make waves. They have already rightfully (IMO) rejected to get involved.

If they were compelled by a government to act, that is another story...and a very slippery slope.

Brad

•••
Back