IT.COM

discuss Possible sanctions for Russia and Russians in the field of domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Igor Gabrielan

.ai .mv .botTop Member
Impact
The authorities of Ukraine turned to the ICANN with a request to block the domain zone .ru and other domain zones of Russia.
Is it possible to block all domain names owned by Russians, that is, in zones .com .org .uk , etc.?
Now there are restrictions and sanctions for Cuba and Iran for the zones .cu .ir .
Probably there are restrictions for other states. But how wide are they? Can similar or even greater sanctions be applied to Russia?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
You, as a person will not be his enemy, only for a couple of months....war, killings, pain, close relatives gone, all these have this effect. The alternatives are: force Putin and Russia( sadly, including his citizens) through bankruptcy, world war 3 or letting ukrainians to be killed or be taken over by force. There are no other. So, you as a russian not involved in this, should accept to suffer some losses and hate for couple of months, until everything is over. That's the best alternative.
I won't suffer without my domains. That's nothing at this scale. I'm concerned with the level of hate raising everywhere, getting even to the neutral places, where we have been communicating for years, not caring of each other's nationality. As to the stricter sanctions, switching off everything, etc. - you don't know the Russian people; we've got used to suffering. The stronger you push, the stronger we consolidate. That's our historical consciousness.

•••
The stronger you push, the stronger we consolidate. That's our historical consciousness.
Sometimes you consolidate against your government, which has brought you to a bad life (1917, 1991).

•••
Sometimes you consolidate against your government, which has brought you to a bad life (1917, 1991).
It's true, both times led to regime change and lot's of other changes, both times as a result of economic issues And that's only in the last century.

•••
You two need to get a room together.
I gave up on other thread because of your emotions.

•••
Also, what was 50 years ago, today everything it's totally changed, all countries are totally connected. Think about a total blockade, with border closed, no exports of imports from richest countries, not technology exchange, no cultural exchanges/competitions, no internet connected to west. Also, Russia economy it's a small one, compared to Italy, so can't survive like this in a long term, if peoples want to have a decent live. Only think about technology companies from Russia, being cut from the west. And final, fighting Ukraine, where lot's of russians have friends/family and ukrainians are ready to fight. Also, peoples are not the same as 30 years ago, look at eastern Europe, Asia, Middle East and Russia, people are not as humble and endure as 30 years ago.

•••
First, some registrar wants to punish the Russian population by kicking them out.

Now some domainer wants to punish them by selling their domains at auction & use the money to destroy Russia.

While NATO on more than one occasion today said there will be no (no fly zone, no fighter jets sent to Ukraine, no confrontation with Russia). There are even some reports the EU imports of Russian energy have increased since the beginning of the war.

Looks like Ukraine will be liberated by emotional domainers.

Just remember, we are talking about the nation with the most nuclear warheads on earth, so think twice before you switch off their lights.

•••
American pilots were not afraid of air battles with Soviet pilots in Korea and Vietnam, and the then USSR was much stronger than today's Russia, and it had ten times more nuclear warheads.

•••
First, some registrar wants to punish the Russian population by kicking them out.

Now some domainer wants to punish them by selling their domains at auction & use the money to destroy Russia.

While NATO on more than one occasion today said there will be no (no fly zone, no fighter jets sent to Ukraine, no confrontation with Russia). There are even some reports the EU imports of Russian energy have increased since the beginning of the war.

Looks like Ukraine will be liberated by emotional domainers.

Just remember, we are talking about the nation with the most nuclear warheads on earth, so think twice before you switch off their lights.
Not a domainer, an ukrainian domainer, who probably lost relatives just now because of russians.
US has roughly the same amounts of nuclear warheads, not including everything else. Russia doesn't have the economy to survive a war of months, EU and US can do it for years.

Last edited:
•••
While our relatives are in order, the nearest shell hit is two kilometers away.

•••
While our relatives are in order, the nearest shell hit is two kilometers away.
I'm sorry for what your country is going through, & I hope you & your loved ones are safe & remain safe. I wasn't mocking your post.

I guess Ukrainians get to voice their frustration however they want now. I just don't think there will be anything like taking their internet/domains away. Your president has been calling for a no fly zone, I don't think they can do that.

•••
Paradoxically, my mother participated in WW2.
We do not tell her WW3 has begun, she still does not know this.
When explosions are heard, or a bomber flies over us, she probably thinks it's thunder.

•••
Also, what was 50 years ago, today everything it's totally changed, all countries are totally connected. Think about a total blockade, with border closed, no exports of imports from richest countries, not technology exchange, no cultural exchanges/competitions, no internet connected to west. Also, Russia economy it's a small one, compared to Italy, so can't survive like this in a long term, if peoples want to have a decent live. Only think about technology companies from Russia, being cut from the west. And final, fighting Ukraine, where lot's of russians have friends/family and ukrainians are ready to fight. Also, peoples are not the same as 30 years ago, look at eastern Europe, Asia, Middle East and Russia, people are not as humble and endure as 30 years ago.
How many tens of years does Northern Korea already exist? Don't you think this can be the outcome? How safe will the world feel then taking in account the Russia's nuclear capabilities? Why do you think the worse situation in Russia, the less chance of the worldwide consequences? Logic speaks about the opposite - someone entirely cornered can be much more dangerous. Not meaning that the world should ignore what's happening, but I'm quite puzzled with the logic "the harder we push" -> "the less chance of the worst scenario".

Last edited:
•••
By the way, this is the question of where North Korea gets electronics and components for missiles. So it is weakly pressed. Russia does not produce electronics like North Korea, and if Western countries are more consistent in reaping North Korea and Russia, they will not be able to have a military potential.

•••
How many tens of years does Northern Korea already exist? Don't you think this can be the outcome? How safe will the world fill then taking in account the Russia's nuclear capabilities? Why do you think the worse situation in Russia, the less chance of the worldwide consequences? Logic speaks about the opposite - someone entirely cornered can be much more dangerous. Not meaning that the world should ignore what's happening, but I'm quite puzzled with the logic "the harder we push" -> "the less chance of the worst scenario".
Exactly, he needs to be pushed back....look, just now they have announced that Transnistria, part of Moldova, again russians involved, want's independence, because they know that russian army is close. Combined with the threat against Sweden and Finland, where do you think that he will stop? Until it will not be pushed back, he will not stop. Again, russians are cool, but their ruler takes territories by force and threats with nuclear war. NATO should stay and watch?

Last edited:
•••
By the way, this is the question of where North Korea gets electronics and components for missiles. So it is weakly pressed. Russia does not produce electronics like North Korea, and if Western countries are more consistent in reaping North Korea and Russia, they will not be able to have a military potential.
Do you know how they live there, eating 1-2 times a week? Do you think that russians can/want to survive like this?

•••
Do you know how they live there, eating 1-2 times a week? Do you think that russians can/want to survive like this?
They really have some cities and now they are like after the bombing, so this will not scare them, but Russians love to eat.

•••
Exactly, he needs to be pushed back....look, just now they have announced that Transnistria, part of Moldova, again russians involved, want's independence, because they know that russian army is close. Combined with the threat against Sweden and Finland, where do you think that he will stop? Until it will not be pushed back, he will not stop. Again, russians are cool, but their ruler takes territories by force and threats with nuclear war. NATO should stay and watch?
Please don't tell me about NATO. Its expansion to the East and violation of the corresponding non-expansion agreement signed during dismissing the USSR is the main root cause of the chaos taking place in the former Soviet Union space right now and during the previous years. From the very beginning, the new Russia has been treated like a dangerous beast which should be surrounded with nuclear missiles. Our integration into the world ecosystem was an up-hill battle. Then the series of the orchestrated "orange" revolutions across the neighbor countries with the perspective of getting even more missiles under our very nose, and so on up till now. I'm against the war and don't know what's in the mind of Putin, but let's be aware of the fact that it was not Russia standing at the origins of all this chain of sorrowful events.

I have nothing to add regarding the initial question, so leaving the thread, as it has changed its topic as usual. Hope for peace soon, take care.

Last edited:
•••
Please don't tell me about NATO. Its expansion to the East and violation of the corresponding non-expansion agreement signed during dismissing the USSR is the main root cause of the chaos taking place in the former Soviet Union space right now and during the previous years. From the very beginning, the new Russia has been treated like a dangerous beast which should be surrounded with nuclear missiles. Our integration into the world ecosystem was an up-hill battle. Then the series of the orchestrated "orange" revolutions across the neighbor countries with the perspective of getting even more missiles under our very nose, and so on up till now. I'm against the war and don't know what's in the mind of Putin, but let's be aware of the fact that it was not Russia standing at the origins of all this chain of sorrowful events.

I have nothing to add regarding the initial question, so leaving the thread, as it has changed its topic as usual. Hope for peace soon, take care.
What you don't seem to understand is that Nato and every other country joining it does not force anybody, if they want, they can extend in Asia and Africa, is their choice and countries choice. What Russia is doing is taking and attacking countries by force and this is not possible in 2022. If nobody want's to play with you, stay at home or find somebody who want's , but don't start attacking, outside Russia is not russians issue, if they are not welcomed anywhere.

Last edited:
•••
but I'm more upset with me getting the 'enemy' label in your eyes here, on this forum, speaking personally, and my countrymen all over the world regardless of their attitude. I still hope this madness ends soon. Sorry.
The most of the world is not talking about russians as the enemy, but about your dictator, Putin. He is the main responsible of the invasion and mass bombing in Ukraine.
You will see almost every country talking about Putin's war and Putin's aggression, not russian.
But I think that you will understand that when a dictator invades a peaceful country, the country of the dictator will be isolated and sanctioned. That's how it works. Russian people must understand that what's doing now Putin the dictator is not right, and it will have consequences.
Maybe it will sound like a "fantasy" as somebody has told me in this forum, but if you guys, russian people, good and hard workers, go right now to the streets and protest against the war, Putin simply won't be able to jail 146 million russians. So russian people also have something to say, or to do, stopping this war.
If you feel the pain of the isolation and the economy crash, it's up to you to get it and think, it's because west countries are very bad, or maybe because you have a crazy dictator in Russia right now that has invaded a sovereign country (your brothers by the way) and is bombing and mass killing right now its citizens.
It's up to you, russian people, to believe Putin's lies or open your eyes and see what's really happening right now.
I am really sorry for the most of the good russian people, hard workers, that will feel the Russia isolation right now, but I am also very sorry for the thousands of ukrainian people, also good people and hard workers, fighting right now for their freedom, for their country, for their lives. They are a free country with a democracy and they don't want lose it and be again under the rules of a dictator like Putin. That's why the are fighting so much right now against the invasion by a quite more powerful country in terms of weaponry.

Putin is a dictator and he wants to have Ukraine under his control with a puppet government there, like it was for many years until they woke up and wanted to live in a real democracy. Putin wants Ukraine to be again a puppet country like it is right now Belarus. A dictator that hates to see Ukraine (your brothers) having a real democracy, with real elections and freedom of choice.
Peace

Last edited:
•••
Biden under fire over reported intelligence sharing with China ahead of Russian invasion
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/mar/4/joe-biden-under-fire-over-reported-intelligence-sh/

China Asked Russia to Delay Ukraine War Until After Olympics, U.S. Officials Say
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/02/us/politics/russia-ukraine-china.html

https://www.dw.com/en/biden-says-china-withholding-information-on-covid-origin/a-59009674

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

690px-Democracy_Index_2020.svg.png

Who helped to create I.S. in Iraq and found no W.M.D. there?
Who gave arms in the value of 80 billions in Afg. to T.?

Should we now delete all domains names?
Google and Facebook do not like domain names.
Their vision is internet without domains names.

Last edited:
•••
In fact, Russian citizens are also responsible for this aggression, because 70% of the population supports it, and the remaining 30% do not protest against it.

•••
Paradoxically, my mother participated in WW2.
We do not tell her WW3 has begun, she still does not know this.
When explosions are heard, or a bomber flies over us, she probably thinks it's thunder.
Sad.. Bless her heart!

•••
Some would argue that, yes their leaders & the sanctions got them to be literally hungry. But, what about the nuclear weapon he now has? Wasn't that the objective of sanctions? To prevent it from happening?

I don't know, but I can't imagine sanctions have a great success rate.

Last edited:
•••
In fact, Russian citizens are also responsible for this aggression, because 70% of the population supports it, and the remaining 30% do not protest against it.
This could only half true. I've noticed this news on kremlin propaganda media and they were saying that the poll was made between 21 and 27 february, on 1600 subjects. The bombing started on 24, so knowing kremlin tactics, I think that the asked most of the peoples before 24 and just a few after the bombing started, so that the poll looks better for them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back