IT.COM

discuss Possible sanctions for Russia and Russians in the field of domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Igor Gabrielan

.ai .mv .botTop Member
Impact
The authorities of Ukraine turned to the ICANN with a request to block the domain zone .ru and other domain zones of Russia.
Is it possible to block all domain names owned by Russians, that is, in zones .com .org .uk , etc.?
Now there are restrictions and sanctions for Cuba and Iran for the zones .cu .ir .
Probably there are restrictions for other states. But how wide are they? Can similar or even greater sanctions be applied to Russia?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That is, the US government can order ICANN to block domain names to Russians and block .ru domain zone, and ICANN can technically do this? It turns out that you need to create a petition addressed to the US government?
ICANN / IANA are technically an intentional organization now after the contract with the NTIA expired in 2016, but they are incorporated in California.

They are supposed to be free from US oversight, but that is simply not the reality. ICANN learned this when they were considering the .ORG takeover by a private equity company, and the California Attorney General got involved.

ICANN still under US laws, but checks in place to avoid hostile takeover​

https://www.zdnet.com/article/icann-still-under-us-laws-wont-go-under-un-purview/

•••
Russia is considering confiscating the assets of foreign companies leaving Russia. And you are embarrassed to confiscate domain zones and domain names. The confiscation war is in full swing.
In a confiscation war, Russia's small economy will be bankrupt far before the rest of the world is.

Brad

•••
Have you seen price on gas and oil lately? )))) Gas at $3800 and oil at $135... Enjoy your sanctions :)))
Ask for more, don't be shy ))))
It's $,050 more per litre in Europe and gas slightly higher but winter is gone, so only some companies need it, not a big deal, Russia will go bankrupt 10 times until then. Regarding trading with other countries, Russia doesn't mean anything to China, 2% of the imports and 3% export, so peanuts and they have refused more oil and gas already, just if it will be for nothing. Did you checked the trades with other countries, again peanuts. I just want to see Russia send gas, oil ad other stuff to Brasil, South Africa and a few other countries, the cargo will be more expensive than what you will export.

•••
)))))))) shit, you know how to read wikipedia )))) still zero knowledge on the subject )))) there is no way Russian gas can be replaced within the next few years without an absolutely severe impact on European economy and ordinary people lives...
Dream on, the only thing is that when you will wake up, it will be a nightmare.

•••
•••
•••
It would be possible to sell the domain names of Russians at an auction and send this money to help Ukraine.
I guess anything is possible, but that is not going to happen.

Unless you are some type of Russian oligarch I don't think anyone is coming to try and seize your assets.

Private companies might make different business decisions, but they certainly have no legal rights to just seize your domains and liquidate them.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The main goal of a dictator is to brainwash his country people. The main goal of Putin now is to block any external information source to russians, making only available to them RT and Sputnik TV, where he can lie like he wants to the face of russian people.
He really doesn't want that russians see the reality of the war crimes he is already commiting in Ukraine. He knows that if russian people see the mass bombing and the massacre he is provoking right now to the ukrainian people, their brothers, then he would be in problems to maintain his power in Russia.
I really think that there's a big amount of russians already brainwashed by Putin's lies, really believing all the sh*t they watch on russian State TV.

•••
Correct. Main reason is as follows (MarketWatch):

That geopolitical risk premium takes into account not only the risk of damage to oil facilities due to military action or potential Western sanctions, but also reflects soaring insurance costs to ship Russian oil. He observed that freight rates for oil coming out of both the Black Sea and Baltic sea more than tripling over the space of a few days as crude-oil buyers struggled to find shippers willing to send vessels into Russian ports (see chart below).

Correct. And that's only going to get worse when the US bans the import of oil/gas... China will probably have a good time scooping some up at bargain prices.

No wonder they 'like' Russia that much... Lots of things up for grabs atm... If ethics are not any of your concern obviously.

•••
I'm an American and as much as I despise the actions of Putin's Russia against Ukraine, I think any move to restrict any country using the ICANN or a targeted domain ending such as .ru just sets a bad precedent as a whole for entrepreneurs and a free internet. I dislike Russia but I would even more so dislike a fractured and more fragile internet ecosystem globally. It's a slippery slope that we shouldn't even go down.

Furthermore it's not every day citizens that should be punished, but rather Putin, the Russian military, and Russian elites. We should not wish for hardships that primarily affect normal every day Russian citizens as any proposed ICANN / TLD disruption may cause. I hope most of us here could get behind that.

The scope of a wide ranging disruption of access to any or all of ICANN's TLDs is too large in scope and should not even be attempted. And again, I say this as someone who 100% supports Ukraine and is very much against the Russian invasion.

when there are no iPhone updates and Gucci bags no more
the Russian will become pissed

Putin needs to justify what he is doing to his people
maybe he will need to stop

every sanction serves this plan
the more sanctions the sooner murdering might come to an end

when Germany did the same thing to the world
Hamburg was put on fire
and Dresden was turned into a desert

people are the ones who suffer in war

Russia started the war
think about it

1646734597981.png

Last edited:
•••
•••
Last night, Russian pilots dropped 500-kilogram bombs on residential buildings on Romenskaya and Spartak streets in the city of Sumy.
18 civilians were killed, including 2 children. The exact number of victims is being established.
This is a crime against peaceful humanity, for which every guilty person must be punished.

https://no_url_shorteners/s/RidddleSpace

•••
This is called patriotic education. From childhood, they are brought up and prepared for aggression against other states.

Last edited:
•••
& the whole of Europe can't get it done before 2030.. Unless Qatar has enough for all of them..

BTW, Russia signed a humongous deal with China very recently, so it will go to other markets..

Complicated world indeed.
Do you have a link of the chinese deal, can't find it. Also, excluding Qatar, there is Azerbaijan, Venezuela and possible Iran through Greece-Bulgaria pipeline from Mediterranean Sea, liquid gas from multiple sources, they can reopen tens of coal mines, to replace the gas ( postponing Green Deal for later on) and 3 proved new gas reserves in Black Sea( first one ready to deliver gas in september) and four more under analysis, to check how much gas reserves there are there.

•••
It is not so important how these people turned out, the important thing is that they are now dangerous to humanity, and they need to be punished.

•••
Ordinary Russians (or Americans) decide about bombing (e.g. of a wedding)?

I understand you say
the ordinary russian is not in charge of that war of putin

you see,
I'm still treated as a nazi
being german
even here at that very forum

how many years after nazi germany disappeared?

by the way
I hadn't been born yet

so why not treat ordinary russians living now
as bad aggressors as well?

there is no valid argument
and believe me

"Russian" as such
will be a synonym for "evil"
for hundreds of years to come

yes, of course
you don't like me saying so

but I happen to have first-hand experience

ask Rob Monster
how he tried to connect me with
with one of the evilest NaziGermans
just as we share the same last name

and you get an idea

get out of the Ukraine as fast as you can
and maybe damage can be reduced

maybe

•••
In my sentence also Americans were mentioned.

In August 1968 several armies invaded Czechoslovakia.
Ukrainian leaders Petro Shelest and Nikolai Podgorny were the most vehement proponents of military intervention. Some would say that also Brezhnev was an Ukrainian.
And a not small number of soldiers were "ordinary" Ukrainians.
Would Igor want to punish them too?

And many people with a similar name ending as Igor's surname were killed about 100 years ago in a country that is a current NATO member. There is a term for this kind of mass killing, but will this country ever admit it? Or will they just attack another minority in their own or a neighboring country?

Zelensky's TV series is in Russian, not Ukrainian. That is his language. Is he an "ordinary" ...?

maybe you can understand this:

one injustice compared with another injustice
one crime compared to another crime

does NOT make any of those smaller

history is not what we talk about
we talk about NOW
people are raped and murdered NOW

by Russians

let's stop that NOW
and we can discuss in eternity
AFTERWARDS

Last edited:
•••
maybe you can understand this:

Maybe you understand this:

I was reacting to Igor's thoughts about punishing.

I am NOT supporting any wars.

I do NOT support Russian expansions of any kind.
I do NOT support German expansions of any kind.

•••
Exactly, if this was an attack on the US, the Russian domain names would be confiscated. Why not do it now, when Ukraine courageously defends world democracy from a totalitarian country?
It's not fair, but it's somehow explainable. Ukraine was for a long time part of the russian world, even now, some russian minorities and possible even some ukrainians think about Russia, even if the majority want's to go to west. So, the connections between europeans and Ukraine are not that strong yet, is like a brother who lived far away for tens of years and came back. Ukraine will be part of EU sooner or latter, no matter what Russia thinks, it's just a hard moment. You just need to resist until they go broke, it should not take to long.

•••
Not really, a bigger impact will have closing all borders, stopping all exports/imports and e few others. They are waiting to combine them with war crimes charges and introduction of UN peacekeeping units. You just need to hang on.
All kinds of influence and contribution to the ruin of Russia must be applied.

•••
ICANN Managed Root Server Locations: stats

i.png

•••
Sometimes you consolidate against your government, which has brought you to a bad life (1917, 1991).
It's true, both times led to regime change and lot's of other changes, both times as a result of economic issues And that's only in the last century.

•••
Also, what was 50 years ago, today everything it's totally changed, all countries are totally connected. Think about a total blockade, with border closed, no exports of imports from richest countries, not technology exchange, no cultural exchanges/competitions, no internet connected to west. Also, Russia economy it's a small one, compared to Italy, so can't survive like this in a long term, if peoples want to have a decent live. Only think about technology companies from Russia, being cut from the west. And final, fighting Ukraine, where lot's of russians have friends/family and ukrainians are ready to fight. Also, peoples are not the same as 30 years ago, look at eastern Europe, Asia, Middle East and Russia, people are not as humble and endure as 30 years ago.

•••
Paradoxically, my mother participated in WW2.
We do not tell her WW3 has begun, she still does not know this.
When explosions are heard, or a bomber flies over us, she probably thinks it's thunder.

•••
Biden under fire over reported intelligence sharing with China ahead of Russian invasion
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/mar/4/joe-biden-under-fire-over-reported-intelligence-sh/

China Asked Russia to Delay Ukraine War Until After Olympics, U.S. Officials Say
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/02/us/politics/russia-ukraine-china.html

https://www.dw.com/en/biden-says-china-withholding-information-on-covid-origin/a-59009674

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

690px-Democracy_Index_2020.svg.png

Who helped to create I.S. in Iraq and found no W.M.D. there?
Who gave arms in the value of 80 billions in Afg. to T.?

Should we now delete all domains names?
Google and Facebook do not like domain names.
Their vision is internet without domains names.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back