Dynadot

auctions Portugal.com hits the low end of the reserve range at Sedo, will it sell?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Sedo's Great Domains auction ends today and Portugal.com hit $250,000 the low end of the reserve range. $250,000 - $499,999 is pretty wide. The reserve is not met yet and it will be interesting to see if this one can sell. The highest selling country names of all time are England.com at $2M, Russia.com at $1.5m, Britain.com sold for $1m. Singapore.com sold for $800,000, NewZealand.com and … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If your going to drop this kind of money on a pure Geo wouldn't you first speak to that countries legal (or relevant) department and get assurances (in writing) that it would be OK to develop it?

I did this - they own and developed the .com and I wanted to develop the .org, I called them, spoke about my plans and they said it would be OK - I got this is writing as well via email ......and mine was nowhere near (by a long way) the price mentioned

If they say no, you move on and keep the money in the bank.....Otherwise you are taking a big gamble.....

•••
I believe Korea.com sold for $5m back in 2000 as well. Cant remember if it was 100% confirmed or not

Last edited:
•••
•••
Country domains prices looks spicy :)

•••
Hope for the owner it sells.

What i would like to know though (looking at the other auctions) is why do people bid like $100k for OpenSea (for example), when you know it has a reserve range of at least $500k, are you serious about buying the domain? If so, what is the point bidding just $100k when you know it's not going to get it you? :-/

Last edited:
•••

What i would like to know though (looking at the other auctions) is why do people bid like $100k for OpenSea (for example), when you know it has a reserve range of at least $500k, are you serious about buying the domain? If not, what is the point bidding $100k when you know it's not going to get it you? :-/
I suspect for some it makes them feel good, like they can act the big shot without actually putting any money down....

Last edited:
•••
You would have thought these GEO domains would be an absolute priority to governments of a said country, with regards to tourism. England, Russia, Britain in dot com ...juicy prices fetched, but undeveloped

•••
Any auction is like this.
The bidders don't reveal their cards.
The great bidding war will probably start towards the end of the auction(final minutes).
As for why bidders bid early at times, it is because at Sedo it takes time(up to several business days) to get verified in order to bid, so perhaps it is a test if they can bid above $10K or $100K without any issue.

Last edited:
•••
Any auction is like this.
The bidders don't reveal their cards.
The great bidding war will probably start towards the end of the auction(final minutes).
I totally agree.

Last edited:
•••
•••
upload_2021-10-21_10-37-34.png

•••
One thing to note, there are many private sales in domaining, especially with top tier domains.
There are probably other multi million USD country domain sales that were done completely privately.

Last edited:
•••
I am not sure how much organic traffic these country domains get on their own because of exact names.

I see the site Spain.com with Alexa ranking of 2,921,301.
And this is a .com.

Implying:
  • That it may not be getting much traffic.
  • G o o g l e not favoring the site in search results just because its a exact country name .com.
  • That there are not many type-ins for same !

And if not type-ins, what is big advantage of buying such an EMD, even for a popular country like Spain ?

Maybe I am missing something very important..

May be Alexa ranking does not reflect the type-ins.
So, maybe in-spite of a bad Alexa ranking, the site may be getting a lot of type-in traffic.

All this I am saying from the point of view of enduser justifying such high prices for such domains..

Last edited:
•••
I am not sure how much organic traffic these country domains get on their own because of exact names.

I see the site Spain.com with Alexa ranking of 2,921,301.
And this is a .com.

Implying:
  • That it may not be getting much traffic.
  • G o o g l e not favoring the site it in search results just because its a exact country name .com.
  • That there are not many type-ins for same !

And if not type-ins, what is big advantage of buying such an EMD, even for a popular country like Spain ?

Maybe I am missing something very important..

May be Alexa ranking does not reflect the type-ins.
So, maybe in-spite of a bad Alexa ranking, the site may be getting a lot of type-in traffic.

All this I am saying from the point of view of enduser justifying such high prices for such domains..

The domain itself does help the Alexa ranking(if it is a popular word etc.), but if the website isn't developed, then the Alexa rank won't be that impressive.

Last edited:
•••
With Sedo it's all about if the auction gets paid or not. I would only consider this a sale if it is confirmed the bidder paid. The domain is worth no more than 350k.

•••
With Sedo it's all about if the auction gets paid or not. I would only consider this a sale if it is confirmed the bidder paid. The domain is worth no more than 350k.

Several times I had to wait up to 2 weeks for the domain sale to cancel at Sedo.
Many times the buyers don't pay at Sedo.
I asked Sedo many times to do a more serious verification process for the buyers.
For example, if the buyer had to complete a verification by Driving license/Passport and make an upfront payment of 10% of the purchase price to secure the buy now/make an offer it would have been avoided.

•••
The reserve met at $350K high bid :)

•••
I suspect for some it makes them feel good, like they can act the big shot without actually putting any money down....

Yes Nick, I read years ago that there was some psychological thrill people got from bidding in an auction an amount they could never afford, knowing it would not meet the reserve and they would not have to actually pay. This was not domain name related, I have to try to find it again.

•••
Yes Nick, I read years ago that there was some psychological thrill people got from bidding in an auction an amount they could never afford, knowing it would not meet the reserve and they would not have to actually pay. This was not domain name related, I have to try to find it again.
Sounds like an interesting read - if you find it, please post the link

•••
Did it close at $350k? I think that’s an amazing price for the buyer if so!

•••
•••
•••
Several times I had to wait up to 2 weeks for the domain sale to cancel at Sedo.
Many times the buyers don't pay at Sedo.
I asked Sedo many times to do a more serious verification process for the buyers.
For example, if the buyer had to complete a verification by Driving license/Passport and make an upfront payment of 10% of the purchase price to secure the buy now/make an offer it would have been avoided.

An auction house wants as many bidders, real or fake. They know their numbers, and I guess that they prefer a few fake bids to boost the real bids up.

Auction prices of high end names would drop 50% overnight if everyone needed to place a % down to bid. Remember that fish auction? That is one example of thousands every year.

•••

What i would like to know though (looking at the other auctions) is why do people bid like $100k for OpenSea (for example), when you know it has a reserve range of at least $500k, are you serious about buying the domain? If so, what is the point bidding just $100k when you know it's not going to get it you? :-/

I have bid on flippa auctions with a $5k or $10k reserve with just a $100-300 bid because that's what I believed the domain was worth at most and was confident the reserve would not be met. If the seller wants to sell at what I believe is a more reasonable price, perhaps in a future relist there will be no reserve.

•••
Back