NameSilo

Portfolio Construction

Labeled as advice in General Domain Discussion, started by Want2learn, Apr 30, 2017

Replies:
12
Views:
586

  1. Want2learn

    Want2learn Top Contributor VIP

    Posts:
    3,623
    Likes Received:
    2,710
    Hello everyone. I imagine the pros here rarely if ever hand reg anymore. I am curious though, when you hand reg a domain do you ever register it and plan to hold it for years? Do you ever buy a domain in secondary markets with the plans to hold it for years?

    I am kind of curious how many of you have gone about constructing your portfolios?

    In my mind, I would like to have some domains to flip, some to have on hand for up to two years, and others I want to hold for years.
     
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. biggie

    biggie GreenFriendly.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    11,125
    Likes Received:
    13,085
    i started hand regging 3 character .com
    i started buying 3 letter .com/net/org
    i started buying "domains with overture score"

    i started selling some of the 3 char
    i started selling some of 3 letter
    i started buying more "domains with overture score"

    i started selling some "domains with overture score"
    i started hand-regging or buying whatever i thought had potential


    years passed by, before i knew it, i had over 2500 names

    i started selling and dropping some names
    i bought less and sold more

    now only have around 500 names

    some are 3 letter
    some are 4 letter
    some are 3 char
    some are "domains with overture score"

    some, are just some names.

    imo....
     
  3. Want2learn

    Want2learn Top Contributor VIP

    Posts:
    3,623
    Likes Received:
    2,710
    Thank you for the feedback. I am hoping to sell some names. I know I will be dropping some names. If the 80/20 principle holds true for me with domaining I will be okay. I will be able to weather the storm of inexperience, ignorance, and impulsivity if 80/20 rule is in play, man I hope . . .

    The reality is many wonderful people have said, stop hand regging and go buy quality domains. I really want to move in that direction. If I don't I can't imagine Id be around talking domains anymore as Id be too far in the red!
     
  4. biggie

    biggie GreenFriendly.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    11,125
    Likes Received:
    13,085
    wtf is 80/20 rule?


    where do you guys pick up this stuff

    :)



    imo....
     
  5. HotKey

    HotKey Made in Canada VIP

    Posts:
    3,357
    Likes Received:
    8,745
    Started with eyes open everywhere for strong coms (generics, brandable generics) to hold long-term. These have been a mix of hand-reg's plus aftermarket. I don't have time for quick-flips, but I'm sure if you're on it 24/7 you can make a buck. It's loco out there though.

    After I was satisfied with my coms, gTLD's came along and I began focusing on those. Not as hard work if you use your head, the sheer availability provides some opportune names. You won't have much short-term gains in gTLDS. Even long-term is iffy. So just be wise. Again these have been a mix of hand-reg's plus aftermarket for me.

    Along the way I've nabbed ccTLD's as well, all hand registrations.

    All my sales have been ccTLDs and gTLD's, not to mention an emoji or two. These have always been a surprise, as I don't actively promote them, and never the names I expected.

    Knowing what names to hold long-term. Personally I prefer generics for these, in all TLDs, because somewhere down the road someone always likes a strong, real worded domain. I couldn't advise you properly for flips, but there's many others on here that could. Focusing on drops, popular niches and geos can get the ball rolling for you.
     
  6. Want2learn

    Want2learn Top Contributor VIP

    Posts:
    3,623
    Likes Received:
    2,710
    You have never heard of the 80/20 rule? 20% of the people do 80% of the work . . . that is the jist though it can be used in other contexts. I hope that 20% of my domains can carry the other 80% at this time.

    You have some very solid names if i recall correctly. So 80/20 may not apply to you, but if you went back to your start up, you probably had a few domains you wish you didn't have!
     
  7. Want2learn

    Want2learn Top Contributor VIP

    Posts:
    3,623
    Likes Received:
    2,710
    Thank you for the feedback. That seems like a solid plan . . . short term . . . hold for long term . . . variety in extensions . . . variety in domains . . . that sounds like a diverse broad range with risk spread out over your portfolio.
     
  8. Recons.Com

    Recons.Com Top Contributor VIP

    Posts:
    7,242
    Likes Received:
    16,314
    So what are your 20% names that you think will carry the other 80%'s costs?

    And, actually, since people sell only 0.5%-2% of their portfolio (sell, not flip) in any given year, actually, in any 5 year horizon, it would have to be around 5% of the names (that is given decent quality portfolio, not mostly trashy type) to carry the weight for the rest of 95%... So more like 5/95 rule, not 20/80... In case of your portfolio, could be even 1/99...
     
  9. Arca

    Arca Top Contributor VIP

    Posts:
    1,935
    Likes Received:
    5,848
    What is an overture score?
    Pareto principle
     
  10. Al Cohol

    Al Cohol Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    165
    Likes Received:
    242
    My portfolio is broken into two segments. A "top tier" that I buy and put away until an offer comes that I cannot refuse. These are all .coms and have high search, brand ability and commercial appeal.

    The "lower tier" I actively market and try to flip quickly as I have no desire to hold these names long term. I also may drop some of this lower tier if no offers come my way in a timely fashion.

    Obviously at the end of the day you want your portfolio consisting of top tier stuff that you can put away and sell when the time is right.

    Hope that helps and yes you will only acquire this top tier of names through aftermarket, direct inquiry to owner or pending deletes.
     
  11. Want2learn

    Want2learn Top Contributor VIP

    Posts:
    3,623
    Likes Received:
    2,710
    so 1/99 it is
     
  12. Want2learn

    Want2learn Top Contributor VIP

    Posts:
    3,623
    Likes Received:
    2,710
    I did not know that the domaining ratio was really 5/95. That is interesting. It is worse than what is considered a quality mlb batting average. I guess it just speaks to how tough domain speculation can be:)
     
  13. biggie

    biggie GreenFriendly.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

    Posts:
    11,125
    Likes Received:
    13,085
    Last edited: May 2, 2017

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
Loading...