IT.COM

discuss What's your criteria for keeping domains or letting them expire?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Renewal fees are eating me alive. Context: I'm speaking in terms of a project maker - not a domain reseller.

However, the reason I still "hold on" to domains is because I tend to find a use/idea for it later on. Every now and then there's a domain that I've held on to for years that I would suddenly find a use for. Other times, years go by and I continue to sit on domains that I'm not sure I'll ever execute on.

Does anybody else suffer from this?

If not, what criteria or decision-making process have you established to keeping domains or allowing them to expire without regret?

Curious to hear. Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Renewal fees are eating me alive. Context: I'm speaking in terms of a project maker - not a domain reseller.

However, the reason I still "hold on" to domains is because I tend to find a use/idea for it later on. Every now and then there's a domain that I've held on to for years that I would suddenly find a use for. Other times, years go by and I continue to sit on domains that I'm not sure I'll ever execute on.

Does anybody else suffer from this?

If not, what criteria or decision-making process have you established to keeping domains or allowing them to expire without regret?

Curious to hear. Thanks!
If you decide that you will never use them or not sure, but the name is short and good, better renew the domain and sell it for a good price.

Even selling at minimum $99 will give you back all the money you spent on that domain and mostly with profit.

*Good names - One or two words, dictionary words, brandable words, cvcv, vcvc, Short names etc.

Last edited:
•••
I think the longer you are in this business the less domains you drop as your acquisition process gets really refined. For me if there is a drastic lowering in est value (<1k) and the keyword has lost interest I will drop it.

Last edited:
•••
If you're only buying domains for "future" projects and they haven't realized usage yet after some time, odds are you are only holding for nostalgic value.. eg "what if" "maybe" "such a good name" and renewing is only appeasing that with no reality to actually do anything with.

Drop them and move on, focus on what you can actually invest time into rather than just paying rent for an unused space.

Forgoing usage, and gearing towards whether the names may or may not have value to others is another investment that just might elevate you from a user, to a domainer. Be prepared for a swift reality check in many cases, in terms of "is this domain sellable" if the latter stance.

Generally my criteria for personal renewals is two-fold:

1) What was I thinking at the time, and does it still apply?
2) Does this name have potential outside my own development ambitions, and am I interested in pursuing that?

•••
1. Renewal cost
2. Future plans
3. Market demand - If I believe the domain has value and can be sold

•••
Back