IT.COM

Please suggest a laptop model

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gee

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys,

I need a laptop to my office. I decided on Lenovo Think Pad, but I'm not sure which model would be good for me. I'm going to spend up to $750 for this purchase. Could you please give some advice?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Go with a MacBook , although almost twice the price you will never have to pay for another operating system , far more secure and much better internal parts than a windows machine.

I am on my 2nd IMac , my first one I bought in 2009, it still looks and works as if it where new today, I upgraded to a 27” IMac only because I wanted the newer processor and Macs Liquid Retina monitor.

you get what you pay for

Last edited:
•••
Macbook is good but some applications only available in Windows versions.

Lenovo & Dell are ok. You may want to pick 2-in-1 laptop so you can fold up where you don't have much space and use it as a tablet.
Pick a model that has SSD hard drive instead of regular one with at least 8GB of RAM.

Good luck.
John

•••
Macbook is good but some applications only available in Windows versions.

Lenovo & Dell are ok. You may want to pick 2-in-1 laptop so you can fold up where you don't have much space and use it as a tablet.
Pick a model that has SSD hard drive instead of regular one with at least 8GB of RAM.

Good luck.
John

Ditto on the SSD hard drive, a must have in a new machine today

•••
I hate that new laptops don't have removable battery, and have a separate hardware outside users' control. They need to act as a s p y 24/7/360. And there is an internet of things, refrigerators will connect to fb. instagram. New browsers track users even if opensource, and maybe only a few experts in the world can get rid of such nasty stuff in everything. Cars are the same, they can be driven remotely, and even handbrakes are not physically controllable. This needs to be stopped: who will... Also it is not clear whether good guys or bad guys are forcing such evil on people. We were slaves of bad people, and now we will be slaves of good people who are fighting against bad people. We lose in all cases.

Last edited:
•••
You can remove anything with a hammer.

•••
I'm having trouble keeping up with browser usage within 8GB of RAM nowadays, I suggest you go for 16GB.
This shows my current usage, 4 different browsers, some with tons of tabs open, you can see that swap is at 4.1GB already.
Screenshot at 2020-06-17 07:22:54.png

•••
The machine is going to run on Linux or Windows (or both), so Macbook is out of consideration.
The price is important, I can afford up to $875

I found a site with recommended thinkpads at 2020 and picked thinkpad T480, which seems to suits my needs superbly -- it is has 14-inch screen, durable, good battery, 16GB of RAM, SSD drive and no preinstalled OS. But unfortunately It has one flow, the power wire is connected via usb-c port, which is delicate and prone to damage. I'm not sure if Thinkpads are a good choice anymore because of that. That's sad they sell such a durable machine with one big flow. What are your thoughts?

On another site I found recommended laptops of different brands, and two laptops I like:
Acer Swift 3 which is caled "The best budget laptop in the world". I know nothing about Acers, what can you say about this brand/model?
Another one I like very much is HP Envy x360 13 called "The best affordable 2-in-1"
Do you have any knowledge as to power wire?

Last edited:
•••
I didn't get my hands on any of the models you mention, but from the specs T480 has this nice hot swap battery system, with one internal and one external. I agree that their choice to deliver power via usb-c is weird, especially since they had enough thickness available to include a full sized RJ45 ethernet connector. With all straight power plugs there's stress accumulating on the wire right next to the connector, and I personally had to change a few because of that. I like the 90 degree angled connectors since you can have the laptop sit on them.
The machine is going to run on Linux or Windows (or both)
I've found recent 2020 linuxes almost unusable with 4GB of RAM and mechanical hard-drives, compared to 2016 versions for example, so in any case SSD is a requirement nowadays, and 16GB recommended if you're staying on today's script heavy memory hungry websites.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back