IT.COM

question Places in the Antartic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jjngjr

Established Member
Impact
Does anyone know if there are any legal reasons not to own the domain names of places in Antartica?

It's open to tourism.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's open to tourism is very less explaining of it's conditions...

Antarctica has one of most difficult and dangerous conditions one can go on Earth...

Tourism might be a stretch...but a handful of scientists stay there to do research during summer (still hard to live) when extreme climate is a bit less extreme and return before end of summer...

That being said...

I don't think it has any value in terms of domain names...
(In terms of tourism point of view)

Antarctica is internationally governed by few countries...

http://www.antarctica.gov.au/about-antarctica/people-in-antarctica/who-owns-antarctica

As far as I can say this will raise objections if anyone using the names of places in Antarctica for commercial purposes and grabbing most attention and this can lead to reopen the disputes among the countries that dealing with Antarctica for centuries.

I think this is interesting thought to look into...

It might be worthy if look other way around...look at North and explore Arctic :)

Arctic is opening new routes to west and reducing huge distance and saving money for oil and goods transport companies.

All this is due to the HOT topics... Global Warming and Climate Change...due to this the ice is melting in Arctic region.

I think this can lead to more tourism and other commercial activities in the Arctic region and also in domain names.

Sorry for long answer...

I love information and learning about new things...
Geography related...all things are under my interest list.

P.S. take this as my view and if more share their opinion it is useful.

Thanks,
Ravi

•••
The primary reason not to own them would be lack of demand.

Brad

•••
It's open to tourism is very less explaining of it's conditions...

Sorry for long answer...

I love information and learning about new things...
Geography related...all things are under my interest list.

P.S. take this as my view and if more share their opinion it is useful.

Thanks,
Ravi

Ravi, Thanks for the long answer!

I see that people register the names of countries, states, mountains, etc. and was curious as to what the ownership of some names relating to those places and how often they were disputed by maybe countries or states or cities. I did read a while back about the France name being taken away.

Some of these places in the Antartic region receive thousands of searches a month and it appears that tourism is picking up speed. Helicopter tours, cruises, camping out, to name a few.

The searches I think will grow due to the melting of the region and the effects that it will cause, be it little or big.

Was curious if anyone had any ideas for capitalizing on them.

I appreciate your input.

•••
The primary reason not to own them would be lack of demand.

Brad

Thanks Brad,

There seams to be a growing interest in the region.

•••
•••
from who?

The Penguins!

Hehehehe

Seams unusual but companies are paying for the ads for antartica tourism, not much search on that term but lots of searches for certain places.

•••
Ravi, Thanks for the long answer!

I see that people register the names of countries, states, mountains, etc. and was curious as to what the ownership of some names relating to those places and how often they were disputed by maybe countries or states or cities. I did read a while back about the France name being taken away.

Some of these places in the Antartic region receive thousands of searches a month and it appears that tourism is picking up speed. Helicopter tours, cruises, camping out, to name a few.

The searches I think will grow due to the melting of the region and the effects that it will cause, be it little or big.

Was curious if anyone had any ideas for capitalizing on them.

I appreciate your input.

Well you saw my long answer...but in simple and main point is like @bmugford said...

No demand.

What you are saying about tourism... I can see very very very few 'potential' customers for this...
Millionaires and billionaires who seek out of world and adrenaline rush experience...like a custom made package for couple of people...
I think these will be less than number of mountaineers who want to reach peak of the world..
Mount Everest!!

A funny comparison...

Thanks,
Ravi

•••
@jjngjr by the way...

You missed a C there in "Antartic" it should be Antarctic.

I am a social teacher students do this mistake every time...

I read it is one most commonly misspelled...and also same with Arctic...

That's a fun fact.
Thought it would be appropriate since we are discussing about it and it's in title itself :)

Thanks,
Ravi

•••
i thought i also has an 'a' the end too

Antarctica

•••
•••
i thought i also has an 'a' the end too

Antarctica

You are correct.

There is an ''A" at the end...if we are talking about the continent...no need of A at the end if it is related to Antarctic region and places / topics related to it.

Thanks,
Ravi

•••
Thanks Ravi

I did miss the 'C'!

I appreciate the opinions!

•••
Back