Dynadot

Pizza.com for sale @ Sedo

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
How much do you think it will go for? :D

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Reece said:
I am not aware of many very large chains which could *potentially* implement this successfully without cannibalizing sales at their current URL

I agree with you Reece, that's probably why domain forwarding to the winners brand domain would be the best bet.

Unless they find a really smart way to implement the pizza.com domain with their current pizza brand name :)

Last edited:
•••
snoop said:
So your suggested business model is something that requires enough outlets to cover the entire nation (thousands?). I'm guessing this would cost several hundred million dollars to establish so it doesn't exactly soumd like an "obvious business model" for the owner of this name. It is a bit like telling the owner of cameras.com he should start manufacturing cameras and compete with Nikon.

I agree, makes sense to me, sometimes things can be way too big to be practical.

I can think of alot of names I would want before this one....although I would'nt say no ;)

•••
Those who think that they would just redirect to Pizzahut.com etc have to also realize that many companies buy domain names for marketing purposes. I can't remember off hand but a hypothetically example might be Coke buying a name like DrinkContest.com and running a contest using that name. There are many possibilities for Pizza.com to be used for marketing for companies like Domino's & Pizza Hut.

•••
GreenGambler said:
Snoop you and Reece make some valid points. I just know that if I were the owner of a pizza company I would love to have that domain name even if it meant taking a bit of a loss.

If you Google "pizza.com", PizzaHut.com is a top bar, highlighted, sponsored link for that keyword, the only one. Yet when I search "pizza" there are no top bar sponsored links. I wonder if that means anything, or it might just be smart adwords campaigning, I'm not sure.
I am wondering how much Pizza Hut is paying for that ad plus all other advertisements online.
What if they spend $5 mil/year?
They could get their money back in two years even if they pay $10 mil for it.
That's very sound business decision.
Or, is $5 mil/year online ads too much?

They can recoup in ten years if they spend only $1 mil/year and end up buying Pizza.com for $10 mil.
I would say it's still good deal by getting Pizza.com

•••
onewordonly said:
Those who think that they would just redirect to Pizzahut.com etc have to also realize that many companies buy domain names for marketing purposes.

I agree with you, but I'm pretty sure they'd come up with a more original name than pizza.com :)

•••
I think it's a powerful name, in the right hands... PizzaHut, PizzaInn, Domino's... because they already have the successful infrastructure in place to immediately capitalize on the pure iconic value of this domain, and maintain it long term.

On the other hand, these companies have already spent millions of dollars to brand their existing company names, logos, products, websites... and this would be, in a sense... 'starting-over'.

I think "pizza" is an amazing icon... generic... wonderful word. But I have my doubts about how much owning the name would help their existing Internet business. It would almost seem to be more of a status symbol for them, if they purchased it. A very-nice very-expensive status symbol.

•••
3 days left and it is already over 2. It might close at 4 or even 5 million.

•••
VV said:
I think "pizza" is an amazing icon... generic... wonderful word. But I have my doubts about how much owning the name would help their existing Internet business. It would almost seem to be more of a status symbol for them, if they purchased it. A very-nice very-expensive status symbol.

True, maybe they just don't want the competition owning it....ideal scenario for the seller if this is the case.

I'm sure Honda would'nt want their domain www.motorcycles.com getting into the hands of Yamaha ;)

Exciting stuff :tu:

•••
•••
As I heared in India weekly they open hundreds of Pizza Shops, so I think this Domain is a cheap go under USD 5 million.

This is not an expenditure, it's a real good investment for the future.

Maybe I can sell my eatataco.com for a few dollars more now. Some people like tacos :)

•••
Pizza.com - first registered on 17-Jun-1994

Domino's launches its web site on the Internet (www.dominos.com).

Domino's rolls out flavored crusts, for limited time only promotions, nationally for the first time in company history.

The company reaches record sales of $2.8 billion system-wide in 1996.

jump forward to 2001

Domino's Pizza International division establishes Domino's first regional resource center with the majority stake purchase of the franchise in The Netherlands, setting the stage for expansion on the European continent. Domino's pizza announces record results for 2001. Worldwide sales exceed $3.78 billion. Revenues increased 6.8% over 2000.

http://public.dominos.com/Public-EN/Site+Content/Secondary/Inside+Dominos/Our+Heritage/

Wow, a couple of million does'nt look so big after reading this !

If there are a few of the big companies in this it may go waaaay up there :bingo:

Is this the perfect storm ?

•••
I hope that the seller takes some, if not a good amount of the profits and re-invests back into the domain name market. That would really make this a good sale for us all!

•••
gazzip said:
I'm sure Honda would'nt want their domain www.motorcycles.com getting into the hands of Yamaha ;)
Thank you for sharing that gazzip. :)

I wasn't aware Honda owned that name.

Hmmm... perhaps that says something?

On a related note, I recently realized www.Burgers.com was owned by CarlsJr / Hardees.

•••
Not saying that it won't go higher or that any of what you said isn't 100% true, but this is starting to sound alot like 99-00 mentality. Bubble 2.0 ahead?

gazzip said:
Pizza.com - first registered on 17-Jun-1994

Domino's launches its web site on the Internet (www.dominos.com).

Domino's rolls out flavored crusts, for limited time only promotions, nationally for the first time in company history.

The company reaches record sales of $2.8 billion system-wide in 1996.

jump forward to 2001

Domino's Pizza International division establishes Domino's first regional resource center with the majority stake purchase of the franchise in The Netherlands, setting the stage for expansion on the European continent. Domino's pizza announces record results for 2001. Worldwide sales exceed $3.78 billion. Revenues increased 6.8% over 2000.

http://public.dominos.com/Public-EN/Site+Content/Secondary/Inside+Dominos/Our+Heritage/

Wow, a couple of million does'nt look so big after reading this !

If there are a few of the big companies in this it may go waaaay up there :bingo:

Is this the perfect storm ?

Last edited:
•••
VV said:
Thank you for sharing that gazzip. :)

I wasn't aware Honda owned that name.

Hmmm... perhaps that says something?

On a related note, I recently realized www.Burgers.com was owned by CarlsJr / Hardees.

Taco Bell owns www.Tacos.com.

Hidden Valley owns www.Salad.com.

I'll try to find some more.

Last edited:
•••
And Pizza Hut's parent company owns Taco Bell... Hmmm, interesting possibilities :)

Thanks for the link -- never knew!

GreenGambler said:

•••
Reece said:
And Pizza Hut's parent company owns Taco Bell...

That's exactly what I was thinking.. :)

Skippy owns www.PeanutButter.com
Clorox owns www.Bleach.com

It's actually not that easy to find companies that own there products .com. Seems alot of the good generic foods/consumables .com's are parked or some sort of directory site/product review site, or a smaller companies site..

•••
I believe it's a small group of Taco Bell franchisees that own the Tacos.com domain - Not the actual parent company "YUM" owners of the Taco Bell brand.

•••
VV said:
I believe it's a small group of Taco Bell franchisees that own the Tacos.com domain - Not the actual parent company "YUM" owners of the Taco Bell brand.

You are right, I see that now. Good call!

•••
My own quick research on this topic (a few days ago) revealed the following...

Hamburgers.com - just a parking page.
Cheeseburgers.com - just a parking page.
Sandwiches.com - just a parking page.
Fries.com - just a parking page.
FrenchFries.com - 1-page site, describing importance of a good domain name. LOL Beautiful. :)
Nachos.com - nothing, dead page.
Burritos.com - just a parking page.
Chicken.com - just a parking page.
FriedChicken.com - just a parking page.
OnionRings.com - nothing, not even a parking page.
Donuts.com - just a parking page.
HotDogs.com - just a parking page.
Chili.com - just a parking page.
Pizza.com - Currently for sale, in auction format, at Sedo.com

Burgers.com - Carl's Jr. (Hardees) restaurant.
IceCream.com - Nestle Corp / Dreyers
Mexicanfood.com - Taco Villa restaurant.
Tacos.com - Mini-site, owned by a group of Taco Bell franchisees.

18 prime food domains... only 4 are owned or developed by food companies.

-------------------

I'm writing an article about this for a new food related site I'm working on. Pretty cool huh, I found a way to combine my love of food and domains.

For those who might not have known... www.Yum.com - The parent company of "Taco Bell", "Pizza Hut", "KFC" (KentuckyFriedChicken) and "Long-John-Silver's".

•••
this might have been posted here... but this is sounding like a Rick Schwartz dream...

it seems pizza.com is getting about 1500 visits a day (and that's without any real reason to go there yet..!)

:tri:

•••
•••
soggyindo said:
this might have been posted here... but this is sounding like a Rick Schwartz dream...

it seems pizza.com is getting about 1500 visits a day (and that's without any real reason to go there yet..!)

:tri:

hi, where do you get the 1,500 visits daily?

Thanks

•••
hey, i just threw that in there.
it's probably unreliable but i used this tool. there are loads of similar ones out there, and they'll all probably tell you different figures.
i thought the numbers in the article were interesting tho: 1- 1.5k (people) a day (via type-ins) for candy.com (does that make it a "pizza"?), "many" that get 1.5 - 25k a day, and sex.com at 200k a day.

•••
Mahouni said:
I hope it breaks 5m!

Still remains on 2.5 million. Few days to go.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back