IT.COM

Pheenix or Dynadot Backorders?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Pheenix always used to be my registrar of choice for picking up pending delete domains which were not on the big pending delete companies radar. But to be honest, they haven't been so reliable recently.

As kind of an experiment to find out who is the cheap registrar of choice today, I backordered 8 domains over the last 4 days which I thought were good enough to backorder but weren't likely to be on DropCatch/SnapNames/NameJet 's radar (ie not backordered there). I backordered all 8 domains at Pheenix and Dynadot. Here is the results... 6 caught by Dynadot, 1 caught by Pheenix, 1 caught by DropCatch.

So I'd say Dynadot is the clear winner here. They are also cheaper. But in future I will still backorder probably at both, so I can tell if things start to swing back to Pheenix. (Before I only used Pheenix).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Given that a Dynadot BO is usually very weak, there must have been a big decline in Pheenix's performance.

•••
I think Dynadot have at least 10 registrars nowadays.

What i don't like is that they make the top backorders public.

•••
I tried testing this couple of weeks ago but I did not even find many of them in Dynadot, so did not proceed. Good analysis though, stub.

•••
Given that a Dynadot BO is usually very weak, there must have been a big decline in Pheenix's performance.

This is probably true and would echo what others have been saying for a couple of months now. But the opposite could also be true, that Dynadot have ramped up their drop-catching :)

•••
Be careful not to get ripped off by them at pheenix!

•••
@gr8trfoo - At last. You are referring to Pheenix. Perhaps you could be more specific about the circumstances?

•••
I regester domains with Dynadot to sell them later , and mostly becouse I hate Godaddy all the way , so I sell buy domains mostly with Dynadot and Namecheap .

•••
I don't have any empirical evidence today. But Pheenix added 100 more backorder companies. They beat Dynadot hands down in capturing these poorer dropping domains. If I had to guess it would be about 5/6/7/8:1 Pheenix : Dynadot.

Last edited:
•••
with the public auctions you're going to be paying well to use pheenix. i gave them a shot with the public auctions but domains that once would go for 30-50 bucks were now getting bid up to 200-300. no thanks.

•••
•••
LLL.cc selling for $2k - $2.25k seems like a lot, on 11/23. But maybe that's the new reality.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back