IT.COM

People trying to sell domains before buying?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

wormfood

----Top Member
Impact
I was selling a domain here (fixed price) and wanted to receive payment through paypal. Someone told me they don't have paypal and wanted to use undeveloped. I didn't really mind and agreed..But thn they were rather pushy about getting the domain into their own undeveloped account, which can't happen until the transaction is complete. I happened to check their old posts and noticed that they do have listings here where they receive payment through paypal, so no paypal was a lie? Less than 24 hours after the transaction closed at undeveloped, they report the domain sold by "outbound" and through undeveloped.
the transaction at undeveloped started on Friday evening est and officially completed yesterday.
So I was suspicious that they had already emailed people and sold it before buying. It seems unlikely that someone would be so eager to get the domain and keep asking to get it into their undeveloped account if they hadn't already sold it.
have you ever found out that someone was doing this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Everything that leads to sale is legal, as long as everyone get paid, and the buyer is happy.

However, I wouldn't want anyone to spam people with my domains. I do not do outbound, only inbounds.

Last edited:
•••
•••
For every creative Genius there will be twice as many Geniuses creating ways to exploit it. Pretty much the same as a Pro. Broker asking about one of our Domains...they already have a hot lead.

•••
Well there’s nothing wrong per se with having something pre-sold before buying it if that’s what you’re complaining about.

There are a few topics about this and it seems there is usually around a 50/50 member split as you can see by the likes and dislikes to your response.

•••
if we have big network, I think this strategy can be done, smoothly! anyway thanks for the threads! :xf.grin:
this thread give me a good idea:xf.grin:

•••
Sedo and Afternic can theoreticaly do such things, but probably won't do, because it would be a very risky move for their business. People here say, nothing wrong with this; but it can prevent sale, and seller may have different levels of happiness depending on possible sale prices, so "as long as seller is happy there is no problem" argument is not valid.
How to make selling easy and fast, and make everyone happy.
I (A) list a domain at a marketplace (B) like Sedo.
Sedo creates buttons corresponding to that listing.
I give those buttons to people (C), who place them on their web site.
A buyer (D ) visits C's website and learns that domain is for sale and clicks on the button, and arrive at Sedo, and get a discount. C gets referral commission.

A is happy: fast sale.
B is happy: more sales.
C is happy: profit with no work or risk
D is happy: cheaper price

Who is not happy: dropcatchers, and people searching for good names from drop lists.
I create an auction, and advertise that button (link with tracking), and people would know that in an auction, prices can be very high if there are many participants, so everyone would place that button with their tracking code on their website,..so for publishers it is like buying a lottery ticket, but there is no ticket cost. When there are more publishers I have higher chance of selling and getting much higher price than usual.

Buggest problem with this: C may not trust B.

•••
I once had a guy say he would pay the 5k asking price on my landing page, but if I could please take down the price first.

I said not a chance.

He then started the escrow process and asked if I could take down the price now.

I said not a chance.

He then deposited the money and asked if I could take the price down now.

I said not a chance.

He paid.

Two weeks later, he said he made a mistake and needed a refund.

I said not a chance.

Posting your latest price on the landing page prevents front running.

•••
I once had a guy say he would pay the 5k asking price on my landing page, but if I could please take down the price first.

I said not a chance.

He then started the escrow process and asked if I could take down the price now.

I said not a chance.

He then deposited the money and asked if I could take the price down now.

I said not a chance.

He paid.

Two weeks later, he said he made a mistake and needed a refund.

I said not a chance.

Posting your latest price on the landing page prevents front running.

Chinese used to to do this in escrow with long inspection periods.

The premise of this whole thread disgusts me, unless you own it, or have proper documented proof that the actual owner has given you permission to sell, or market their domain you should not have any interaction in regards to front running such a sale. You are setting yourself up to real liability issues if something goes sideways with a very valuable domain.

Last edited:
•••
To me, the buyer pre-selling a domain runs a real risk of losing the deal completely. I have heard of situations where an end-buyer went around the middleman straight to the current owner.

Personally, I wouldn't care as long as I got my money for my domain.

•••
To me, the buyer pre-selling a domain runs a real risk of losing the deal completely. I have heard of situations where an end-buyer went around the middleman straight to the current owner.

Personally, I wouldn't care as long as I got my money for my domain.
The issue is many good domains, the easy target is trademark owners, and simply sending a stupid email opens up a lot of liability.

•••
Drop Shipping, domains?:xf.grin::ROFL:
As far as im aware the internet thinks its ethical.

•••
the dollar amount was just an example, it could be $x,xxx, $xx,xxx, $x,xxx,xxx

i was just pointing out a major pitfall to that line of business.

Lets say it was $200,000... does that make it more right or wrong?
I totally agree with this Guy @urlurl

•••
There was another thread like this last week. I mentioned that this happens every time you trade your car in at the dealership the car is sold to a wholesaler and nobody ever thought it was unethical. When they appraised it they started shopping for buyers. Fact it happens in alot of industries drop box shipping probably falls under this.

•••
There was another thread like this last week. I mentioned that this happens every time you trade your car in at the dealership the car is sold to a wholesaler and nobody ever thought it was unethical. When they appraised it they started shopping for buyers. Fact it happens in alot of industries drop box shipping probably falls under this.
You can get the same car from 100 different dealerships.

This is a unique set of properties, and someone front running it, running a price they are not authorized to do, or what not can have far reaching implications especially if the party being solicited has a trademark after the fact.

•••
You can get the same car from 100 different dealerships.

This is a unique set of properties, and someone front running it, running a price they are not authorized to do, or what not can have far reaching implications especially if the party being solicited has a trademark after the fact.

The trade in is your car. When you take your car in to buy a new car as your shopping on your price they are shopping your car around to wholesalers. I don't encourage the practise in domaining or am I making excuses to do it but fixed pricing does allow you to work with others or have others shop your names around. I am just stating that plenty of brokers in many industries work this way.

Last edited:
•••
Type in any domain into a registra if it is taken it may say "Allow us to help you to aquire it". A broker then tries to make contact with domain owner and takes a cut from the domain seller to the buyer. No they buy the name and resell it and profitise the most they can. Not a lot different really other than the name may or not have been for sale.

Depends if it was freedom of speech between 2 parties casually talking or whether it is advertised may make the difference with law.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back