IT.COM

Park it... or AdSense Site it?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
One of my recent names appears to be pretty decent for type-in natural clicks. (According to Sedo at least.) So what's the best 6-month to a year strategy for the domain? I can easily develop it into a site with adsense and such... but then it's tougher to prove the type-ins to potential buyers. If I leave it at Sedo, I can easily list the site with instant proof of traffic.

The ultimate goal is to sell the name, but I'd hate to waste some good traffic when I could earn an extra buck or two. Any toughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It depends....on what the name is but it sounds natural from what you are saying. What are advertises paying for those keywords?

•••
You know, this might amount to heresy (I'm not much of a domainer) but I've always preferred the notion monetized and developed site to simply parking a domain. Parking may be less work but I think the extra control you get from monetizing your domains yourself is worth it.

•••
Well I'm somewhat new to domaining for resell, I've almost always developed instead for advertising or resale as a site. So that's why I'm a little unsure at this point which direction to go for a domain that I probably wouldn't normally develop into a full out site.

To answer netzilla's question, keywords are currently adult oriented, I doubt it's paying very well. (Around 8 cents a click for me so far.) That's another reason I wouldn't normally add it to my web site portfolio. Plus there is just a hint of a legal odor to it. Let's just say that the domain could be construed as relating to the wife of a prominent celebrity. Another reason I'm in a quandry.

•••
It depends on the keyword of your domain!!!

•••
Again, the primary keyword is the first name of a celebrity. Kind of like BobsWife dot com... So it's a little tough to nail down.

•••
deadweight said:
Again, the primary keyword is the first name of a celebrity. Kind of like BobsWife dot com... So it's a little tough to nail down.

I would park it.

- Play with the keywords
- Let your sedo account manager take a look at the domain name
- use different layouts for the domain name and see what works the best
- (you could also make use of other parking programs!
Some domains just do better at a other program)

Goodluck!

•••
Wouldn't happen to be TIGER'Swife would it? ;) Let us know how you fare...

•••
dgridley said:
You know, this might amount to heresy (I'm not much of a domainer) but I've always preferred the notion monetized and developed site to simply parking a domain. Parking may be less work but I think the extra control you get from monetizing your domains yourself is worth it.
Yea, heaven forbid we should acually build proper sites that earn real money and enhance the internet experience for surfers who might land on them.

dgridley said:
Wouldn't happen to be TIGER'Swife would it? ;) Let us know how you fare...
I hope really not.

•••
I'm so tired of clicking on links here and getting a parking page..that's an instant turnoff to me.. I suspect I'm not alone.

~ Cyberian ~ said:
Yea, heaven forbid we should acually build proper sites that earn real money and enhance the internet experience for surfers who might land on them.

•••
I would rather develop it as well. But that gets me back to my original question. When the most important thing is resale value of the domain, would a potential serious buyer rather see a domain that's been parked at a trusted site with trusted stats for a duration of time... or would they be fine with stats from a developed minisite?

•••
dgridley said:
I'm so tired of clicking on links here and getting a parking page..that's an instant turnoff to me.. I suspect I'm not alone.

I guess it just goes to show how much these PPC companies do to enforce their TOS for not linking to parked pages.

deadweight said:
I can easily develop it into a site with adsense and such... but then it's tougher to prove the type-ins to potential buyers. If I leave it at Sedo, I can easily list the site with instant proof of traffic.

Which leads me to the fact that you can prove type-ins easier with a developed site (using statcounter or other) than with Sedo for the reason dgridley pointed out.

•••
Adsense is a lot of hardwork, but the financial rewards is priceless. But the bottomline is you should love what you do, and earning money is just second. When you adsense a domain setup a website that you love more than making money.

•••
Jeffrey said:
Adsense is a lot of hardwork, but the financial rewards is priceless. But the bottomline is you should love what you do, and earning money is just second. When you adsense a domain setup a website that you love more than making money.
Well said Jeffery.
The ROI off a properly developed site far outweighs the work involved,
however...
from a domainers standpoint managing 100, 500, 1000+ websites is
unrealistic.

So thankfully we have alternatives.

•••
develope and bring more vistors and if it doesn't work out you can always park it again lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back