Domain Empire

.org question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
im developing a site and the .com is taken, but the .org is available...for the type of site i am making, i feel as if the .org suits it better anyway and I've also heard that search engines give higher preference to .org...since i will be trying to generate revenue from the site, is it allowed to be a .org? I read somewhere that .orgs were strictly for non-profit organizations and or private non-profit enterprises...does it really matter if i use the .org or will there be consequences? any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are no restrictions for the .org domain I do believe, anyone can register them. I think that, originally speaking, there were some (or at least the idea) but if the above is the case then I've seen an awful lot of violators all across the internet.

As far as any "higher preference" hogwash, well, that's exactly what it is - hogwash. You're not going to be placed higher because you are a .org. All domains are equal in the eyes of a search engine.

There will be no negative consequences for you using .org, especially if it seems to fit better in the first place.

•••
Reg it ive never heard of any restrictions. Whats the name BTW after you reg it id like to know.

•••
•••
•••
Yeah, if you feel .org is appropriate for the domain, then go for it. There are lots of popular websites that are exclusively on .org

•••
Is .org domains suitable with forum sites?
What do you think about this?

For example I'm planning to register one domain.

discussXYZ.org

because of .com extension already registered.
Could you write your comments?

•••
It really depends on the topic of discussion. General things are better suited to .com's. As far as forums go, open source communities and other non-profit communities suite.org well in my opinion.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back