Domain Cost Club

Opinions on .jp domains?

Discussion in 'ccTLD Discussion' started by Rubik, .

Replies:
Views:

1. Rubik

Rubik New Member

I'm wondering if you think it's worth it for a non-citizen of Japan (I'm a U.S. citizen) to buy a .jp domain for long-term investment, hoping for resale several years in the future.

Thank you!

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. siravi

siravi Established Member

If you business or products are marketing in Japan then it is worth able.

3. Rubik

Rubik New Member

Thanks, @siravi. I'm asking because I was thinking of buying a .jp domain that doesn't have any relationship to my business, but that I think would be a good long-term investment.

4. BaileyUK

BaileyUK Established Member

Isn't it a bit like the .dot uk scenario where the .co.uk is far more popular. I think it is the same in japan where it's much harder to get the .co.jp than the far less popular but shorter jp. it's a case of historic usage

Last edited:
  5. Rubik

Rubik New Member

@BaileyUK That's interesting and good to know. Thanks!

6. Kate

Kate Thinking inside the Box™ VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

.jp names are expensive and I don't think the aftermarket is big really. There are not so many names registered for a country of 125 million inhabitants.
    Stats

Generally speaking, ccTLDs are specialized markets and Japan itself is a peculiar market. Without good knowledge of the local market I would not advise investing in .jp (if by investing you mean buying a sizable number of domain names). There are many more ccTLDs with more reported sales activity.

7. Rubik

Rubik New Member

@Kate Thank you for the insight! That's good to know about the Japanese domains market. From the comments that you and other people have made on this thread, I think that I will stay away from investing in .jp domains for now. Thanks again!

8. Federer

Federer Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

For the best ROI (if you know what you are doing), I would stick with the best-selling/best-performing ccTLDs like .DE, .CO.UK etc.

9. Doron Vermaat

Doron Vermaat --- DNgeek.com --- Efty Staff PRO Business Account VIP

I go to Japan regulary and can tell you that Japanese companies don't care much about domains. The main reason for this is because the fast majority of consumers go to Yahoo! search to search for their favorite websites instead of typing domains directly into their browser. Most advertisements in Japan show a "call to search" for this reason instead of a domain name as you can see here: https://www.instagram.com/p/7vLujHzAMU/?taken-by=doronvermaat

10. Kate

Kate Thinking inside the Box™ VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Right, I think it's because they are not really comfortable with typing Ascii characters.
    Same reason why numeric domains are popular in China.

11. Rubik

Rubik New Member

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!