Dynadot

.JP Internationalized domains

NameSilo
Watch
Hi all,

I noticed that internationalized domains are available for .JP
I'm interested in this but not sure how it works. If I register an IDN for .JP, will I then have registered the domain name in Japanese or only the "punycode" equivalent of it?

Concrete example, let's say I want to register the Japanese equivalent of "coffeemachines.jp". For the sake of the example, I google translated "coffee machines" which is "γ‚³γƒΌγƒ’γƒΌγƒžγ‚·γƒ³". Now I would want to register "γ‚³γƒΌγƒ’γƒΌγƒžγ‚·γƒ³.jp".

According to the convertor at IP Mirror, ipmirror.com/en/help/idn_convertor/, "γ‚³γƒΌγƒ’γƒΌγƒžγ‚·γƒ³.jp" has the following punycode equivalent:
xn--tcki4f2b5f2bb.jp

When I now try to register γ‚³γƒΌγƒ’γƒΌγƒžγ‚·γƒ³.jp through IP Mirror, IP Mirror would in fact register xn--tcki4f2b5f2bb.jp for me.

However, a person putting the Japanese address in his browser "γ‚³γƒΌγƒ’γƒΌγƒžγ‚·γƒ³.jp" would also end up on my domain, right?

Does that mean that in fact I also "own" γ‚³γƒΌγƒ’γƒΌγƒžγ‚·γƒ³.jp when registering xn--tcki4f2b5f2bb.jp ?

Or would there be a risk that the JP registry at some point would start making available "UTF-8" (with that I mean registering directly a name with Japanese signs instead of the Punycode equivalent) domains so that "γ‚³γƒΌγƒ’γƒΌγƒžγ‚·γƒ³.jp" could be registered by someone else?

And does it work the same with IDN for all Asian countries or may there be differences?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes you do.

As far as I know there should be no risc of someone getting utf-8 domains instead of punycode.
As far as I know its not possible.

•••
thanks for the answer, any more thoughts on this?

•••
•••
Simply put, punycode and unicode are 2 representations of the same thing. Hence there will never be such thing as you "owning" the unicode representation and someone else "owning" the punycode representation of the same domain. Think of it as cat vs CAT.

Wikipedia has some good info on "Punycode" and "IDNA". You should read both pages.

•••
The real good news is

The core significance of this term can be seen through the .JP registry, JPRS, having made the choice to attempt to alias .JP to .ζ—₯本.

Source

http://idnblog.com/2010/10/25/breaking-100000-idn-sale-ζ—₯本-com/

I have about ten .jps and also some japanese .coms which are destined to become

Japanese:
.ζ—₯本 : .jp
.γ‚³γƒ  : .com
.γƒγƒƒγƒˆ : .net

Source

www.gtld.com.au

The are many idn opportunities out there ! but not forever

•••
Very interesting

The core significance of this term can be seen through the .JP registry, JPRS, having made the choice to attempt to alias .JP to .ζ—₯本.

Would that mean that even the extension of Japanese domains will be in Japanese signs in the future?

And would it mean that having registered a "certainname.jp" would mean that once the .ζ—₯本 extension becomes available that you would automatically "have" also the domain "certainname.ζ—₯本" because either the .JP would redirect to the .ζ—₯本 or the other way around?

•••
Does that mean that in fact I also "own" γ‚³γƒΌγƒ’γƒΌγƒžγ‚·γƒ³.jp when registering ?

All domains have to be represented by letters a-z, 1-9, 0 and - (dash) to work in the DNS system. To make the system work with all languages the "punycode" system was developed.

In your case the "punycode" (xn--tcki4f2b5f2bb.jp) is merely the way the DNS system converts your Japanese "unicode" γ‚³γƒΌγƒ’γƒΌγƒžγ‚·γƒ³.

Wikipedia has some good articles on punycode and International Domain Names.

•••
γ‚³γƒΌγƒ’γƒΌγƒžγ‚·γƒ³.ζ—₯本 is what it will look like in japanese , but you have to have the japanese version of the spelling, on a japanese browser you will eventually have japanese characters in place of english

•••
thanks guys, although I think the last two posts dont really answer my last question which was:

Would that mean that even the extension of Japanese domains will be in Japanese signs in the future?

And would it mean that having registered a "certainname.jp" would mean that once the .ζ—₯本 extension becomes available that you would automatically "have" also the domain "certainname.ζ—₯本" because either the .JP would redirect to the .ζ—₯本 or the other way around?

•••
yes.. read on the topic of "aliasing", some registry will alias, .jp is one of them

•••
the smart ones will realize that having a complete japanese address will win out once the .ζ—₯本 becomes common , makes sense to have the complete address in their native tongue

many japanese names at IDNF/com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back