Dynadot

oneprettydomain.com project!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I missed the oneuglydomain project so much that I have decided to take it upon myself to revive it in an altered form!

It has launched as oneprettydomain.com and I have simplified the rules and process to hopefully keep things moving a bit quicker and easier this time.

Basically it will be a one week submission period, with a trade to be chosen (or not) at the end of the week. There will be no voting, as I believe trying to have the subjective process of choosing a domain through a voting process hurt the original project. The trade choices, bad or (hopefully) good, will all be on myself, with hopefully much discussion (as before) on the perceived merits or mistakes.

Only easily transferred domains (no restrictive country codes a la .ca or .us) from members of the forum will be considered.

At the end of 52 weeks, (and hopefully 52 trades), the final domain will either be sold or developed. We'll see how discussion goes on that. :)

I hope we can get back to having some fun with this, and see where it all ends up at the end of the 52 weeks. This project is all about promoting our industry, and raising awareness of this "unknown" and growing part of our modern economy!

The first domain offered is indeed a pretty one - Plentiful.net (enom - renewal feb 2009 - one word dictionary - 9 million google).

So check out www.oneprettydomain.com, for all of the rules, deadlines and other information.

I will post about this in the uglydomain thread as well.

Cheers!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There was one other offer for week 1 that slipped in under the wire.

JeTrouve.net (means "I find" in French) ...

•••
munkybrain,

Why are you accepting package deals? This is not a good idea. This will ruin the project. Very bad move on your part.

•••
Package offers are never a good idea as it ruins the concept.
marcello said:
Very bad move on your part.

•••
I would indeed like to hear why you think so, marcello and ideesweb, as that was what I enjoyed most about the original project, the debate and discussion.

I myself don't mind the idea of accepting and trading domain packages, as long as the value combined is obviously there, but am open to hearing why it may be a mistake doing so.

Please do let me know why you do not like the idea of considering package offers in the form of a post here. I really would like to generate some discussion on this here.

Thanks, marcello and ideesweb!

•••
Domain valuations are already complicated. You don't want to make things even more complicated. Especially when you can avoid. You want to keep things simple, shiny and smooth.

If I have one good domain that is worth 100 units and you offer me two average domains that are worth 120 units together, I will not trade. The higher you go on domain value the higher gets the ratio its value rises. 2x60unit domains won't be as valuable as 1x100unit domain with time.

What I would like to see is a rare, quality domain that will rise in value very fast or at least will remain very impressive in the future.

If one you do calculations like a small business man you will remain a small business man forever. When I mentioned about CVCV.com's I was trying create a picture. This is what you want to aim. A domain that has indisputable value and is impressive.

Two domains are boring.

I wish you would consider money offers. Money offers are not just any other offer. If at one round money wins then next round you will have offers from a much wider range. Also there is no discussion about value when you have money o table. Even the most hesitating domainers might throw in an offer. Also some domainers who might join since not everybody has a suitable domain waiting to be offered.

My biggest worry is, there might come a domain that is important to a certain person but he might have nothing valuable to offer. For instance, domains related to a persons job might be very valuable for him while they are not so valuable to others.

Last edited:
•••
I agree and disagree with Marcello.

Regarding domain packages: It depends on the package. If the package contains themed or related domains then the value is still there. The singular and plural of a domain would be nice at times. The com,net,org versions of a name all in one lot may appeal to some. Related names like three geo terms followed by the same keyword (NewYorkMotels. ChicagoMotels. DenverMotels., etc) may appeal to someone else. I do agree however that two unrelated domains in the same package lack a lot of appeal to me and I assume many others as well.

Regarding trading for money: I think it makes the project that much more viable. It opens it to more traders. Don't think of it as a sell, you are trading commodities. You trade a domain name for currency, now up for trade is the currency. Your offers may improve too as someone may offer a better domain for your $100 cash than they would've for your domain name that is appraised at $100. With the rash of Paypal related scams lately, you would want to protect your project by using either $NP or some form of escrow service.

Just my 2.5 cents

-Mark

•••
Marcello, thanks much for your well-reasoned points!

I agree that it would be a very rare occasion that a multiple domain package would be attractive enough to trade for one good (or in this case "pretty"!) domain. But because I do screen the offers, and ultimately then choose the trade to agree to, I am confident that I would not make that mistake. The only occasion I could see accepting a package offer would be if one of the domains in the package was arguably as good as the single domain on the block, and the additional domains would be "bonus value" in the trade. The only other occasion a multiple domain package might be considered or taken is if the package involved multiple extensions of the same domain (.com, .net, .info, etc) or the plural and singular versions of the same domain. Both of these are very common instances in the domain industry, and do increase value in a domain.

I want to make sure also that the initial offer screening period is not too restrictive, as one of the things I liked most about this project idea is allowing fellow domainers to promote their domains in a well-trafficked venue. But rest assured, marcello, I will keep all of your very good points in mind when making the actual trade choices!

As for the cash option, I will not incorporate that option for this 52 week project. This particular project will involve domain trades only, and at the end the final domain will be auctioned or developed. I do agree that cash offers would allow for more flexibility and might attract more offers or allow non-domainers to become part of the process, esp. if it is a niche domain that is particularly valuable to them, but they don't have anything but cash to offer. But what I would do, is of course let everyone know immediately if there is any cash interest in a domain up for trade, and then that potential cash value would of course be considered by anyone looking to make an offer. This could be become more and more likely, as the visibilty of the project increases.

Thanks again, very much, for your participation and your well-reasoned input on this project, and I look forward to seeing where it all ends up!

•••
munkybrain said:
But what I would do, is of course let everyone know immediately if there is any cash interest in a domain up for trade, and then that potential cash value would of course be considered by anyone looking to make an offer. This could be become more and more likely, as the visibilty of the project increases.

Good ideas all around, and this I think does bring in (though not completely) the cash value concept in the trading process. Again, good luck with your project and I hope to participate down the road.

Mark

•••
After a lot of research and assessment I will not be trading Plentiful.net on Week 1. I knew this could easily this first week as this project started with a short week and would definitely need time to build interest. The offers were very good, but for various reasons I just could not find enough reason to pull the trigger this week.

Here's a brief summary of my assessments:

1. JulesVerne.org - this ended up coming the closest to being chosen. There are some very big non-profit organizations dedicated to the life and works of Jules Verne (see www.julesvernefestival.com for an impressive example). This domain thus has great end user potential. But we all know that landing that end user can be very tricky and requires some very light treading. That potentially lengthy process obviously just doesn't fit this project format, but I believe the owner of this domain has a potential gem on his hands.

2. ZiwZig.com - I really like the look and "brand-ish-ness" of this one, but it is not quite there for a Plentiful.net trade.

3. JeTrouve.net ("I find" in French) - this is a great domain as well. I believe that French and Spanish language domains will continue to become more and more valuable as the Internet continues its exponential worldwide growth. But at this time, I can't justify a trade for a very generic and common one word English .net.

4. TermDeposit.net and LCDShades.com as a package - This was a very tempting offer. Term Deposit is a very common and generic term and also in the very lucrative financial realm. LCD shades are a very niche product, but as we all know, that can be a very positive thing (see www.screen-shade.com for a good example of these items). But it is not quite a trade for Plentiful.net that I can justify.

So thanks for all of the great offers, and all of the great input on this thread, and now Week 2 (of 52) begins, with Plentiful.net still on the block, so get those offers in!

•••
I will submit another offer, Thanks anyways!

•••
Good luck for the next round. I'm looking forward to see what will happen.

•••
For Week 2, I will spice things up by adding another twist I liked from the original project, and even expand on it. Whenever a trade is accepted I will also provide the successful trader with an advertisement on the www.oneprettydomain.com website. It can be linked to whatever the trader likes, and will have similar parameters to an all-familiar google ad. As the site becomes more and more trafficked, these ads should become a nice incentive for domain offers. I will also randomly shift them around to ensure that there is equal exposure to successful traders. Of course, the early traders will have the added bonus of having a longer exposure period and with less competing ads.

So get those offers in, and promote one of your domain properties, your business, a product, or even just yourself!

•••
I am confused by the fact that you don't have to accept an offer? i thought that was the point. Oh well, I'll submit another :)

•••
Great idea, Munky!
I look forward to seeing future One Pretty Domain Holdings.

•••
Things are heating up, day 1 of week 2 and already 3 offers ...

Findaimage.com

Coverage.biz

HardAlcohol.net/.info

Keep those offers coming!

•••
A fun one was just added to this week's offers, IdiotsForHire.com.

Did some brief writeups on the offers this week so far on my latest posting on the site.

Would love some feedback / comments on this week's offerings from you guys as well.

Thanks everyone, for the great offers so far this week, and keep them coming. I want to give someone Plentiful.net and the first advertisement on oneprettydomain.com this week!

•••
Another domain added to the list of offers this week,

Commercially.org

Was thinking might make a cute name for a site about commercials ...

Keep those offers coming. Giving away Plentiful.net and exclusive (only to successful traders) advertising space for the right offer.

And at the very least, you get your pretty domain names in lights for the week!

•••
Some nice offers for week 2. I am kind of leaning towards HardAlcohol right now... but maybe that just means I need to head to the bar.

•••
Tomorrow I will be posting a little analysis of the domains offered so far, and I am looking forward to more pretty domain offers!

•••
QRXJ.com that raises the bar on the domains....

•••
QRXJ.com was offered up yesterday, one of those LLLL.com's everyone is talking about. Looking forward to more offers this week, and finding out who will get the first advertisement.

Pretty nice traffic to the site already, and picking up, so an advertisement (exclusive to the successful traders only!) should provide a nice extra value that will increase over the weeks of the project.

Get those offers in!

•••
I hope the site hits it big.

Last edited:
•••
Deadline for Week 2 offers is tonight at 11PM EST.

The trade accepted will get Plentiful.net and almost a year of prime and exclusive (to successful traders only!) advertising. You can use it to promote anything you like, another domain, a parked page, your dog, a business, you name it!

Get those offers in and get a chance at grabbing this great package.

•••
•••
Thanks for the enouragement dontknow and thanks for the offer ideesweb!

Also one trader sweetened his offer by putting up an additional LLLL.com.

Here are the offers so far:

Findaimage.com
Coverage.biz
HardAlcohol.net/.info
IdiotsForHire.com
Commercially.org
QRXJ.com and PQVJ.com
LaughBook.com

Also, as an additional bonus this week, the first advertisement I will put up as a full banner size (across the top of oneprettydomain.com), including any custom graphic requirements, until the next trade is done. As mentioned earlier, the successful trader ads will be standard google adsense type text ads, but for now there is lots of room so I will let the all-important first successful trader take advantage of a week or two of full banner graphic advertising!

6 hours to get those offers in ...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back