NameSilo

oneprettydomain.com project!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I missed the oneuglydomain project so much that I have decided to take it upon myself to revive it in an altered form!

It has launched as oneprettydomain.com and I have simplified the rules and process to hopefully keep things moving a bit quicker and easier this time.

Basically it will be a one week submission period, with a trade to be chosen (or not) at the end of the week. There will be no voting, as I believe trying to have the subjective process of choosing a domain through a voting process hurt the original project. The trade choices, bad or (hopefully) good, will all be on myself, with hopefully much discussion (as before) on the perceived merits or mistakes.

Only easily transferred domains (no restrictive country codes a la .ca or .us) from members of the forum will be considered.

At the end of 52 weeks, (and hopefully 52 trades), the final domain will either be sold or developed. We'll see how discussion goes on that. :)

I hope we can get back to having some fun with this, and see where it all ends up at the end of the 52 weeks. This project is all about promoting our industry, and raising awareness of this "unknown" and growing part of our modern economy!

The first domain offered is indeed a pretty one - Plentiful.net (enom - renewal feb 2009 - one word dictionary - 9 million google).

So check out www.oneprettydomain.com, for all of the rules, deadlines and other information.

I will post about this in the uglydomain thread as well.

Cheers!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Domain valuations are already complicated. You don't want to make things even more complicated. Especially when you can avoid. You want to keep things simple, shiny and smooth.

If I have one good domain that is worth 100 units and you offer me two average domains that are worth 120 units together, I will not trade. The higher you go on domain value the higher gets the ratio its value rises. 2x60unit domains won't be as valuable as 1x100unit domain with time.

What I would like to see is a rare, quality domain that will rise in value very fast or at least will remain very impressive in the future.

If one you do calculations like a small business man you will remain a small business man forever. When I mentioned about CVCV.com's I was trying create a picture. This is what you want to aim. A domain that has indisputable value and is impressive.

Two domains are boring.

I wish you would consider money offers. Money offers are not just any other offer. If at one round money wins then next round you will have offers from a much wider range. Also there is no discussion about value when you have money o table. Even the most hesitating domainers might throw in an offer. Also some domainers who might join since not everybody has a suitable domain waiting to be offered.

My biggest worry is, there might come a domain that is important to a certain person but he might have nothing valuable to offer. For instance, domains related to a persons job might be very valuable for him while they are not so valuable to others.

Last edited:
•••
Good Luck! Lets see what happens....

•••
I have send you 3 offers to choose from. I hope you listen more to good advice when things get blur.

If you read the other thread you will see that I have warned the other guy when he was about to make mistakes but he wasn't listening. He shouldn't accept some crappy names and should be just a little more patient.

Can we offer money for a domain? I think you should allow this and offered money and the person who is offering it should be public so others can rise the money offer. You might reject an offer if somebodies NP trade rating is not good enough since you don't want to accept paypal payment from a newbie who could be a scammer.

•••
I wanted to revive this project too, with my domain amilliondollarhomepage.com but there's one issue I can't seem to solve for this project to take off. And I'm still thinking.

•••
Thanks for the submissions so far. I shall review them and update tomorrow. I will mention a bit about how I shall be avoiding trading for any domains w/ tm issues as well ...

Keep the offers coming!

•••
All the best. It'd be interesting to see how this goes.

•••
Just a quick suggestion. Can you put a link on the opening message? Another link in your signature could be considered. Cheers.

•••
A great name to start with. May the fruit of your labor be plentiful! :)

•••
thanks much, and per marcello's great suggestions I have added a website link via signature, first post, and my profile pull-down, for ease of navigation.

•••
•••
I also wish you luck Munky :)

•••
Best wishes, will be interesting to see where this goes ....

•••
Just subscribed to this thread. Hope it goes fine, and maybe later I'll submit some of my domains too.

•••
what happened to the last ugly project? it looked like it just stopped in midair

•••
marcello said:
...snip

Can we offer money for a domain? I think you should allow this and offered money and the person who is offering it should be public so others can rise the money offer. You might reject an offer if somebodies NP trade rating is not good enough since you don't want to accept paypal payment from a newbie who could be a scammer.

I do not think this should be an option. I think the whole point is to TRADE the domain up. If we wanted to see someone flip a domain and then buy another then we can just hang out on namepros.

Good Luck and i will be sure to submit some domains later down the road! Great domain to start with!

•••
Is the aim the same as oneuglydomain project- trading up until you have a domain worth one million dollars?

•••
nu-money said:
Is the aim the same as oneuglydomain project- trading up until you have a domain worth one million dollars?

I missed the oneuglydomain project so much that I have decided to take it upon myself to revive it in an altered form!

I believe so.

•••
I meant to update sooner, but just switched to the wordpress system, and it is the first time I've used it, but looks like it will be very handy for updating from anywhere, as I want to update as often as I can and keep interest at a nice high level.

So I have my first offer, JulesVerne.org, from a Namepros member. It is a good start, thanks very much, and I am looking for as much participation as possible, so get those offers in!

Plentiful.net is the very pretty domain we are starting from. Just realized it also has great potential as a cool name for a dating site (a la plentyoffish, esp. with the "net"), and we all know how lucrative that niche is!

The .com and .org are parked, and the .org is looking for offers of 1000 US+. .info is regged but does not resolve.

So the branding idea is there for the taking, with no competition, so I hope someone with ambitions of development gets this domain and turns it into something amazing.

•••
still looking for trade offers ...

deadline Sat. 11PM EST

•••
Hello munkybrain,

At the beginning of such a project it is vert natural to be excited. You are doing just fine so far. You made a good start by putting a domain that looks at least worth something. You have one offer so far but I don't want to comment on that JulesVerne.org because I have offered that doamin. Lol.

It is only natural that many people are not aware of this project or many of those who are, might be uninterested. One approach would be doing more advertisement or doing someting, anything to catch more attention. We have seen that in the previous project. It doesn't help.

At the end what counts is the quality of the domain on table. Keep that one point strong and you have the luxury to make everything else wrong. But if the quality is poor it will not help if you do everthing else perfectly.

Imagine you have one CVCV.com on table. This would be so good. You wouldn't need any advertisement. The majority of NP regulars would already know about it. Offers would be pouring in. If you had such a quality domain, waiting one, two or three months for a good offer would never decrease the interest on that domain. Quality is the key I believe.

Sometimes you just have to sit and wait. Doing nothing can be the most difficult thing to do.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the helpful comments. Hope to see some more offers today before the first deadline tonight at 11PM EST. Plentiful.net is a great domain, and as I mention on the site, the .com and .org are just parked, so the door is open for development. I really think the name is perfect for a dating site. Plenty of fish, net, all that stuff, it fits the niche well.

Would love to see someone make a trade for it and develop it.

Get those offers in!

Cheers.

•••
Good luck with your project, I'll keep an eye on your progress and maybe even submit a name for trade soon.

Mark

•••
I'll send you an offer tonight.
Edit: I did. Thanks for adding it to the site, but note that I offered TermDeposit.net, not TermDeposit.com.

Last edited:
•••
So the Week 1 offer period has ended on this 52 week journey, and a big thanks to those who submitted their names for consideration. As sure as the interest and discussion heats up, there will be more and more offers coming in as the project continues.

So for week 1 I need to decide whether to trade Plentiful.net for the following offers (by tomorrow, Sunday, 11PM EST):

* JulesVerne.org

* ZiwZig.com

* TermDeposit.net and LCDShades.com as a package

I would really like some feedback and opinion on this first decision from all of the great members here!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back