Domain Empire
NameSilo
Watch
Impact
What was supposed to be a productive thread to improve the forum has turned into a bashing by one disgruntled ex member who had his ego crushed when RJ banned his **s.

http://www.DNF/f72/DNF-com-namepros-com-what-do-you-like-hate-3-thread-493887.html#post2123651

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Kate does make a very good point. I think these are two separate scenarios.

Scenario 1 Adam Dicker one of the largest domainers in the world takes a job with Go Daddy but says I certainly am not going to be shut out of auctions and hurt my own business so he bids in Go Daddy auctions, Which was allowed by his employer.

Scenario 2 Adam Dicker uses his position at Go Daddy to access private information such as proxy bids and what other domains bidders might have in their account to use as another indicator of how much the name might mean to the person bidding with all this other data on the bidder.

In Scenario 1 Go Daddy is wrong and is providing an unethical business practice. If Dicker had no other knowledge just a big bank roll then he did nothing wrong.

In Scenario 2 Adam Dicker used info he should not have been privy too and took advantage of the other bidders. Much worse.

I do not believe anyone has ever proven Dicker used private information to win auctions.

I would ask you HeyNow if you worked at Go Daddy and were also a domainer, would you want to be able to bid on auctions just like everyone else ? With no info of course, just that you could put your money up and bid.

If a bank leaves your cash deposit in the vault and an employee with righteous access to the vault takes that money and goes home with it, that employee has broken the law. If the bank has no policy against stealing a customer's money, the employee is still guilty of theft and should be prosecuted, even though the bank had no policy against stealing a customer's money.

Godaddy had no policy against cheating. That doesn't mean Adam Dicker didn't cheat.

•••
I get where you are coming from but taking money from a bank and bidding on auctions are two different things.

If Dicker just bid, and let me say I don't know what Adam did, I have never seen anyone prove he had private info about other bidders.

But if he just said I like Adam.us and bid, is that cheating ?

•••
•••
I get where you are coming from but taking money from a bank and bidding on auctions are two different things.

If Dicker just bid, and let me say I don't know what Adam did, I have never seen anyone prove he had private info about other bidders.

But if he just said I like Adam.us and bid, is that cheating ?

If he is employed by the auctioneer and bid in stealth mode against clueless Godaddy customers, he cheated.

•••
Heynow is correct to say that an auction house like Sothebys would not tolerate employees taking part in regular auctions and possibly bidding against customers.
It is interesting that until that incident gd had no policy on the matter, it shows that the industry is still young and unregulated. And gd was not an oddity either

It has little to do with regulation. Any business of any merit shies from any appearance of impropriety.

GoDaddy may not have had a policy which was a failing on their part but the employees should still know how their actions would appear.

But here's the reality. Outsiders know nothing but bidder1, bidder2 etc. We don't know who or any patterns. (Unlike Snapnames/Namejet where you see the same names over and over).

Inside the GoDaddy' wall people will know bidder1=joesmith. They will also know joesmith never bids more than $100 unless it's a color domain. They may know that he never bids on Tuesdays etc. If there was no GoDaddy policy against bidding I doubt there was policy regarding data access - especially to someone who was VP of the aftermarket. The data IS available that is not available outside.

Did Adam use that? I don't know. Do I know he had access to it? Not for sure .. but I presume he did because he obviously has lousy judgment. I won't believe him whatever he says unless he provides a sworn affidavit.

But things go on every day. Front running is rife - do I have proof? No I don't... but when people repeatedly have sales within 48 hrs of receiving a name it's more than just a "good eye".

Federer got found out. King.net/Emil got caught out with the equivalent of shill bidding. Adam Dicker got dung in house auctioning. Chef Patrick got caught up to no good. Everyone knows who Halvarez is. There are reported "sales" that were between business partners. Sales for multiples of thousands that never change whois. There are names that get picked up at Namejet well after expiry and names that appear at aftermarket that suddenly disappear behind Name.com privacy.

Sure, it's all part of the business. it's never getting regulated because no one cares, no one gets hurt and the relative money involved is not worth worrying about.

The auctions themselves are even debatable in their execution.
I'm not sure that it's clear that all GoDaddy's auctions are "with reserve" and that their website doesn't correspond to actual "reserve" as the comments were made on Hybrid Domainers blog. Ever seen bidders appear/disappear etc. Namejet can take the name back a MONTH after you win? Huh? What?

The industry is a farce.. and this is before even talking about traffic arbitrage, traffic scamming and any other number of sordid activities that are performed online by domainer, developers and the government and their sleazy "agencies" and partners.

I'm still amazed that people still think Google is clean...

Domaining is like the Tour De France. Until we get Tyler Hamilton, David Millars, Floyd Landis' of the world opening up.. it's all hidden under a "code of silence". Here's a clue. Everyone's cheating.

•••
It has little to do with regulation. Any business of any merit shies from any appearance of impropriety.
In the absence of regulation, the industry should be able to self-regulate, clearly that isn't happening. That is, until somebody or something says "enough !" :blink:

Domaining is like the Tour De France. Until we get Tyler Hamilton, David Millars, Floyd Landis' of the world opening up.. it's all hidden under a "code of silence". Here's a clue. Everyone's cheating.
I am domaining on steroids :guilty:

•••
i must disagree with "everyone's cheating".
but i must agree with "code of silence".

•••
i must disagree with "everyone's cheating".
but i must agree with "code of silence".

Thats what I mean. It's not literally everyone but how can you tell?

In my opinion it takes a certain lack of ethics to be a domainer. It's much harder to see from inside the peloton where the grey starts to form. Clearly some cheat a lot and some not at all... Most operate on the edges. If you are new? Staying clean you may win some sprints but you get dropped over the long term ...

From the outside? It's everyone doped up.

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

In the absence of regulation, the industry should be able to self-regulate, clearly that isn't happening.

Isn't that arguably part of what Heynow is doing? If he forces enough people to ask what is going on then there might be some change.

I think it's a loss cause... but then I think the industry will change as people outside start to wield more power... (which in turn will need rebalancing).

I am domaining on steroids :guilty:

In reality or just by my implication?

•••
In my opinion it takes a certain lack of ethics to be a domainer.

:talk:

interesting...

does a person, known previously to be ethical by their peers, loose their ethics once they become a domainer?

or is it a progressive state of being, depending on the doors that open in front or behind you, that cause one to dismiss merits they once upheld?

or, did every person who aspired to be and has become a domainer, have no ethics prior to?

or, is the business of domaining so unethical in itself and therefore, for those who enter...resistance is futile?

is it the money, greed, anonymity of persons, fame, wanting fame, jealousy, envy, deceit, etc.?

paint a picture of a scenerio, where half see one side and the other half see it diffferently?

is perspective truth or opinion?

:)

•••
•••
If you shun the cheaters and those who tell us that the cheaters are wonderful examples of what we should aspire to, then they will crawl back under their rocks. If clueless newbies continue to give Adam Dicker money to participate at DNF, then Dicker wins. If those of us here continue to believe the BS (like Snapnames is "reputable") from webrags like DNJournal.com, then we lose and they win. If we believe guys like Rick Schwartz who continue to tell us that there would be less fraud if we had more people like Adam Dicker and Ron Jackson, then we are like sheep waiting to be sheared.

Last edited:
•••
Dominaining is inherently non-social in nature (as it relates to social networking, forums..)
These domains, and thus the profits to be made withal, are finite, and many methods of getting, selling them can be considered "trade secrets." Why share for free truly profitable methods of how to acquire domains, sell domains, really monetize them etc?

Instead, there is an air of superiority for those who own premium domains, when it should be considered that these are always sold to the highest bidder...so essentially the title of 'elite domainer' is always one or a few premium domains away, and thus up for sale, and not as a matter of qualification or experience..

I think this is Gerry's frustration

Having been at DNF for many many years...

Adam Dicker is an entrepreneur as is Ron James, and both respective forums rely on its users to generate their revenues, though DNF uses a paid stucture, yet still is ahead in the Domain Forum category after many years..Even NP is free...
DNF to a greater extent lets its users dictate the hierarchy of command, moreso than those who have the privilege of being in the owners good graces, or had $ to buy expensive domains

Last edited:
•••
Adam Dicker OP on DN
Your honest criticism / feedback will help us grow in the right direction for 2013.

Please do not make this a slam namepros thead, that is not what it is meant to be.

SMH. Nothing like using NP for a jumping off board of comparison to improve ones website. Competition is awesome if done correctly and in a healthy manner. Yet.........

His other comment was to ask the DN members to not bash and slam NP, yet the entire thread has soooo gone there. And as well as here at NP.

When asking for feedback to improve your site be sure to not compare it to your competitor and ask your members to not slam the competition. Total set up for a complete "SLAMFEST" had by all. SMH LOL. Wake up posters for a war of words and butt load of hurt feelings of who is more awesome...in posting their comments.

•••
Adam Dicker OP on DN

SMH. Nothing like using NP for a jumping off board of comparison to improve ones website. Competition is awesome if done correctly and in a healthy manner. Yet.........

His other comment was to ask the DN members to not bash and slam NP, yet the entire thread has soooo gone there. And as well as here at NP.

When asking for feedback to improve your site be sure to not compare it to your competitor and ask your members to not slam the competition. Total set up for a complete "SLAMFEST" had by all. SMH LOL. Wake up posters for a war of words and butt load of hurt feelings of who is more awesome...in posting their comments.

The truth is that the owner of Namepros, to the best of my knowledge, has never been caught cheating at auctions. To the best of my knowledge, Adam Dicker has. History's bedrock is documented fact.

They can bash Namepros all they want. It doesn't undo past auction cheating episodes.

Last edited:
•••
Today is a special day, it is the day I was banned.. No reason given.

Not that I really care, I lost respect for the moderators and the owner over 2 years ago.. The way they unfairly enforce the rules according to who they like and disike...

Rules mean NOTHING when it's one of their favored sons, On DNF they are free to break any rule they wish, they are free to call members Phucking Kunts, Whores, Bitches and free to dig into members personal lives and display it for all too see, Go after members families, their kids, Everything under the sun is fair game on DNF, so long as your in the tank with the owner and moderators.

Good Riddance DNF.COM, You are an embarrassment to the Internet Community.

•••
eh, nm

Last edited:
•••
•••
Today is a special day, it is the day I was banned.. No reason given.

Not that I really care, I lost respect for the moderators and the owner over 2 years ago.. The way they unfairly enforce the rules according to who they like and disike...

Rules mean NOTHING when it's one of their favored sons, On DNF they are free to break any rule they wish, they are free to call members Phucking Kunts, Whores, Bitches and free to dig into members personal lives and display it for all too see, Go after members families, their kids, Everything under the sun is fair game on DNF, so long as your in the tank with the owner and moderators.

Good Riddance DNF.COM, You are an embarrassment to the Internet Community.
I'm not there because I don't care to pay for access to things like PM. When I visit, the threads are stale with little to no replies. It's basically a place for members to post links to their own "domain news" sites amongst a few random other things that hold little value IMO.

•••
I'm not there because I don't care to pay for access to things like PM. When I visit, the threads are stale with little to no replies. It's basically a place for members to post links to their own "domain news" sites amongst a few random other things that hold little value IMO.

Agree with you on every point... A good example is the DomainGang.com subforum, where 1 to 3 threads are created almost on a daily basis containing only a link, redirecting visitors to another website with amateur content, No value whatsoever..

Over time it's become very commercialized, For Adam it's a business and generating money, nothing wrong with that really, but when you overdue it like he has, it turns a lot members off and they go elsewhere, which benefits NP.

My take on the whole favoritism thing is; If you go to a Traffic convention, mingle with the forum owner, maybe buy him a few drinks, do you think your going to get banned? NO WAY.. Your now a member of the buddy system, That means you can freely break any rule you want without any fear of being banned.. You pretty much have Carte Blanche.

You got to love Adam's stern warning in the Political section when he re-opened it;

This section is a place where people can express their views freely on politics current events. Any racist, hate related, PERSONAL ATTACKS will result in immediate BANNING!

Today, I expressed my political view on a current event, 100% of which was purely political.. The blog owner of DomainGang.com responded; "Phuck you Kunt", my response was a copy and paste of the same question.

Soon after, it was my account and not his that was terminated.
And the coward didn't have the balls to post his name in the ban notification.

Must be a Canadian thing where we ban members for expressing political speech.

Yes, his forum is stale just like you say, it's dying a very slow death, and he's always looking for new ways to increase member participation and make more money, completely ignoring the underlying problems of why its dying and nobody's buying.

Good luck with that.

•••
In my opinion DNF is an OK place to do business. We all (mainly) are on the forums to make business, right?
On DNF is a bit different community than here (more snobistic I would said), but people there in my opinion have more cash to spend, so if you're selling on forums you need to use both places.

•••
On DNF is a bit different community than here (more snobistic I would said), but people there in my opinion have more cash to spend, so if you're selling on forums you need to use both places.

"Snobistic" I like that, it's quite fitting actually.

I remember once a newbie came to DNF asking for help on a misspelled domain, the response was complete ridicule from a exclusive member, and then his pals piled onto it, knocking him down even more.. I remember coming to his defense, only to be blasted for doing so.. Members like that are just heartless,

And the mods did nothing about it after I reported it.

I can honestly say I've never seen anything like that on NP... People here seem a lot more willing to help.

•••
"Snobistic" I like that, it's quite fitting actually.

I remember once a newbie came to DNF asking for help on a misspelled domain, the response was complete ridicule from a exclusive member, and then his pals piled onto it, knocking him down even more.. I remember coming to his defense, only to be blasted for doing so.. Members like that are just heartless,

And the mods did nothing about it after I reported it.

I can honestly say I've never seen anything like that on NP... People here seem a lot more willing to help.

Snobistic in mine understanding is something like you live on Manhattan and you're snobistic to a person who lives say in Queens
But if you live in Queens, you could have a store in Manhattan and sell donuts to the local guys :)
Main is business.
BTW in my opinion one of the nicest person I know there is that owner of a domaingang, who actually helped me with advice many times when I asked him :)
Everything is relative

Last edited:
•••
cant remember the last time i reported a post on any forum.. its always funny watching grown adults bypassing word filters with things like "phucking kunts" though..

seriously adults of the internet - if the forum you're posting on wont allow you to swear just pick another word - bypassing word filters makes you sound 12 years old.

sincerely,
the worldwide web

•••
cant remember the last time i reported a post on any forum.. its always funny watching grown adults bypassing word filters with things like "phucking kunts" though..

seriously adults of the internet - if the forum you're posting on wont allow you to swear just pick another word - bypassing word filters makes you sound 12 years old.

sincerely,
the worldwide web

I think the owner of domaingang is 12 years old, mentally that is.. He's the one who used it, repeatedly.

•••
im not against insulting people or swearing on the internet.. its just that if i was told to stop swearing so loudly in a restaurant i probably wouldnt switch to stuff like "you effin A" :lol:

general gripe about both domain forums these days: the sales threads.

they really need a completely separate section outside the main forum.. i understand this maybe hard to moderate but im getting less and less interested in refreshing a forum full of sales threads and barely any discussion about anything. whenever somebody does talk about something domain related for long enough the people with day jobs get upset and resort to "get a life, go find something to do, etc." its a forum. lets argue and talk about stuff. im tired of people dusting off their hands with a "nothing more to see here" attitude.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back